Can Tennessee get into the playoffs, and get a 1st round bye

Am I crazy for wanting to be a 5-8 seed over a 1-4, I kinda just wanna see an on campus playoff environment in neyland. Considering NFL playoff environments can only rival a normal college game, I can’t even imagine a playoff game

I understand. In my mind those thing are tied together. I would be fine with 12 teams if they removed the auto bids and it was the 12 best teams. However, if 5-6 of the 12 spots are auto bid's. I personally would prefer a 16 team playoff because it insures the top 10 teams make it in.

Why do we need the entire top 10? Are you convinced there are seasons where the number 10 team in the country may have actually been the best team?

Does it matter? Nobody is winning 4 playoff games to win the national title. The 12 team idea was absolutely absurd--sheer idiocy. Eight was the obvious practical number. Of course, it won't be long before greed and stupidity will start a push for even more teams.
It absolutely could happen. And it will. And you’ll adjust. And enjoy the hell out of it. Sheer idiocy is such an overreaction even if you hate the 12 team playoff. It’s good for the sport. It’s gonna be awesome.

Why do we need the entire top 10? Are you convinced there are seasons where the number 10 team in the country may have actually been the best team?
It’s happened a couple times. Team loses twice early in the season and then goes on a tear, but they’re 10-2 because they got it together in October.

We are basically replacing our ENTIRE secondary and most of our OFFENSE with relatively unproven players. These are talented players so there is potential. Thinking the playoffs are a realistic minimum expectation is not using much logic.

Facts
We return 1 experienced RB who was third string
We return 1 healthy WR with experience in this offense that's expected to start. We have another that's coming back from a major injury. The other 2 top guys are a transfer from the AAC and a guy who showed some progress when healthy last season.
We have a redshirt freshman right-handed QB who has one career start under his belt.
The entire left side of the oline will be new guys you know the blind side of our QB.
Tightend is all new guys and/or unproven guys
We lost pretty much everyone that played meaningful snaps in the secondary last year.

Now if we hit on every transfer and every single new starter is at least as good as the person they replaced from last year that barely gets us in the playoffs.
Then you look at our first 4 games. Against 2 likely ranked teams. NC State loaded their offense up for bear in the portal for comparison they ranked 7th in the transfer portal according to on3 we ranked 47th. Should we beat them sure but they are a legit threat that early in the season (game2) Then we have Oklahoma they ranked only 31st in transfer portal but still not bad. That's game 4, both of these teams won 9 and 10 games respectively last year in the ACC and Big 12 respectively. We will probably be favored in the NC state game and depending on how that goes might be slight favorites against Oklahoma on the road. Then we play Arkansas Florida Bama and Kentucky. All very dangerous teams no matter how much people will try to discount them. Arkansas and Kentucky both have former Vols transfers with something to prove and that could go either way in the hype train for those games. Slaughter, Nichols, and Mincey were not seen as huge losses but neither of those players are scrubs and they have inside info on our offensive and defensive tendencies. Do not discount that. Bama is a wildcard but is more likely to be good than bad. Florida is always gonna be a threat every year as long as they recruit the state of Florida. our schedule next year could end up being one of the hardest or easiest in the country easily depending on how a few teams develop this offseason.

One final note. Oklahoma lost fr RB Hollywood Smothers to NC State in the portal and got Soph CB Jocelyn Malaska from Utah. Will those players make any difference? Probably not, but they have insanely awesome names. Worthy of a Key and Peele skit.

Selfishly because it would improve UTs chance to make it in. However, a team inside the top 10 should be competitive with another top 10 team for the most part but granted there are always exceptions. It’s a playoff upsets happen teams improve over a season, teams get hot, & injuries happens. I’m not saying whatever you think it should be is wrong. Just expressing my preference. LSU won a national championship with 2 losses about 16 years ago. So I would like to have a playoff where a 2 loss SEC team can still get in.

It’s happened a couple times. Team loses twice early in the season and then goes on a tear, but they’re 10-2 because they got it together in October.

Can you name any of those teams? I’d like to see top 8. Anything outside of that seems like a waste of time.

We will make a return trip to the Cheez it bowl finishing 9-4 again is my prediction. We are breaking in a first year QB and that’s assuming he is eligible to play and our schedule is brutal, I would be happy with a 8-4 regular season but that is not getting you into the playoff. 9-3 is the ceiling in 2024. Mizzou and Ole Miss have a better chance at making the playoff than we do and their schedules are easier.

Last edited:
I think teams like liberty should have to be ranked higher to get in than that for sure, but he is right there will always be disputes whether it is 8-12 or 26. I wanted a playoff and actually thought 8 was a good number but we are at 12 and that is fine. But that is plenty. And as far as being left out if we are 13 sure it would be tough but just use it as motivation next time. If you expand the field any more you make the regular season not nearly as important and nobody wants to see mediocre teams in the playoffs. Somebody always wants to fool with the numbers. 12 is plenty, there has to be a stopping point. GBO
It will expand to 16 and 24 teams eventually

Anything can happen, as both Libby and Bush Brothers can attest.
I just love helping out my fellow Vols fans.

It absolutely could happen. And it will. And you’ll adjust. And enjoy the hell out of it. Sheer idiocy is such an overreaction even if you hate the 12 team playoff. It’s good for the sport. It’s gonna be awesome.
Exactly. Georgia would have been an at-large team last year and would have been favored over any other team.

OF COURSE a team can win four games in the playoff. It wouldn’t shock me if it happened in year one of the expanded playoff.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
So you will be completely fine if a UT team ranked in 9-12 range gets left out while a team like Liberty ranked 20-25 gets in due to auto bids?

There could be a lot of this.

Can an SEC team lose 3 games and get in? Iffy....

I wish they'd kept the current system and simply expanded to 8--but everybody wants more money so everybody wants a chance to get in the playoffs, which means expanding the playoffs, which means making a long season even longer. This isn't basketball...you can't play two playoff games in a weekend.

Exactly. Georgia would have been an at-large team last year and would have been favored over any other team.

OF COURSE a team can win four games in the playoff. It wouldn’t shock me if it happened in year one of the expanded playoff.

Let's bet on how many teams win the title by winning four straight playoff games. Won't happen...Georgia would have been a lock
in an 8-team playoff. People who think that you need to keep expanding the playoff are crazy. I know! Let's have year-round college football. Roar!

Just getting in is enough for now.

I do wonder what the minimum record is going to be to actual get in. I assume it’s 10-2 even without an SEC title game appearance?

I think we're gonna surprise some people if we handle Oklahoma, be the #2 team in the conference this year. Yep. I said that.

And I think that will get us the #5 seed. Meaning we'll have a first round home game in Neyland against the #12 seed. Probably some Northeastern Southwest U State Tech team of the Sister Mary Elephantitis Conference.

Folks all over the nation will observe the sheer awesomeness of that game, and all the richness it brings to college football, and no one will ever want to be a #2, #3, or #4 seed again. After #1, #5 will be where it's at.

Sweet.

Go Vols!
giphy (29).gif

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I think they will eventually go to 16 teams and here is the reasoning. TSSAA years ago only had 3 teams from each region go to the playoffs. The number one team had a bye. They figured out that they were missing out on a lot of gate money that week having those teams not play. I think they will eventually realize that more people will watch the top 4 teams play and will eventually give them a game.

I think they will eventually go to 16 teams and here is the reasoning. TSSAA years ago only had 3 teams from each region go to the playoffs. The number one team had a bye. They figured out that they were missing out on a lot of gate money that week having those teams not play. I think they will eventually realize that more people will watch the top 4 teams play and will eventually give them a game.
It may go to 16 one day, but anything past that is a mistake and waters down everything way to much. The regular season has to mean something. GBO

Well now that youve said that, I'm glad the 12 team didn't start last year lol... if Georgia, Bama, and Florida are going to be good, here's hoping that they finish 13th, 14th, and 15th every damn year haha

VN Store

Back