Can fights occur in coffee shops?

I used to have a pic of it. I should have gotten stitches but I didnt. Glued it back together.

I was sore from the punches and kicks the next day but never felt a thing at the time.

For want of my phone while loudly chanting “world star! world star!” during these proceedings.

For want of my phone while loudly chanting “world star! world star!” during these proceedings.

Lol. They looked to be in their 20's and I was 46 at the time.

I guess I looked like an easy mark. They need to work on their victim picking skills.

I'm a former marine, 7 years in the guard and was a professional firefighter for 10 years. I do very physical work and I'm hard as woodpecker lips.

There are a lot of ways to describe me, soft and easy aren't any of them.

I don't look for trouble. I'm as respectful to folks as I can be. But when you take that next step with someone, you better be prepared for the consequences.

It fleetingly crossed my mind that they might have weapons. That's why I wanted to hurt the first one bad enough that he was out and then only had to deal with the other. It was obvious the one talking was the leader. Neither were big guys. I'm 6'1" and about 200 and I was bigger than both.

They were soft and it showed.

Reactions: 2 people
There is hope for humanity!

I was waiting at the car wash, straddling two bays. This guy rolls in at the last minute and (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't see me waiting) and he cuts me, taking the bay that's probably clearing out first.

I get out of my truck and I go talk to him. His first instinct was to argue. He tried to cite made up rules about picking a line. I said "Who has been waiting longer?" At that, he totally backed off and said that I was right, he apologized for being a jerk, and we shook hands. Pretty cool.

BTW, where the hell is TRUT?

I was waiting at the car wash, straddling two bays. This guy rolls in at the last minute and (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't see me waiting) and he cuts me, taking the bay that's probably clearing out first.

I get out of my truck and I go talk to him. His first instinct was to argue. He tried to cite made up rules about picking a line. I said "Who has been waiting longer?" At that, he totally backed off and said that I was right, he apologized for being a jerk, and we shook hands. Pretty cool.

BS. Just be honest.

You were waiting at the trough with your horse.

BS. Just be honest.

You were waiting at the trough with your horse.

giphy.gif

Was he wearing a scarf? If so the answer is always yes, not only can they happen, but they should happen.

On a side note I’ve notice an uptick in people talking on speakerphone while in public. That’s really obnoxious too.

Just saw this, but I have a cure for that:

Walk by close enough that you can be heard, and say "Hey, wasn't that your old girlfriend / boyfriend you were just talking to back there?"

Might be best if you have a good escape route picked out in advance...

:)

Reactions: 1 person

TRUT only comes here to perform his psychology experiments. Now that people have caught on and don't fall into his traps as much, he seems to have taken a break.

Reactions: 4 people
great, lesson in this story....if you know it's gonna end up in a fight, make the first shot count...

fighting's not worth the risk of getting shot...too many people carrying now....

I agree. It was not something I was looking for, but I could see it was inevitable.

The last "real" confrontation I had actually got physical.

I'm a lot like TRUT. I'm big on respect for others, keeping your word, and basically leaving others alone.

I guess I'm a throwback.

It was about 10 pm. I was leaving a walmart in Jacksonville Florida.

There are always people asking for handouts outside. Most are harmless.

There were 2 young guys (younger than me anyway) standing by the exit door as I walk out with a couple of bags.

One asked me for a dollar.

I replied that I didn't have any cash and kept walking.

They then started following me.

The one guy asked me again for some money.

I said I told you I didn't have any.

By this time we were several parking spaces away from the door. I drive a f350 and I try to park away from others because it takes up a lot of space.

They were still following me.

I then hear the one say to the other "I think we will just take his money."

When I heard this I stopped and turned around to face them.

"What did you say?" I asked him.

He grinned at me and said "I might just take your money."

I hit him. No hesitation, no warning. I did my best to take his head off.
Straight hard right in the kisser. He folded like a lawn chair.

Tbh, I went nuts. It infuriated me that these punks were gonna try to rob me, and thought it would be easy. I stayed on the one until I was sure he wouldn't get up. The other was punching me in the side and back of the head, kicking me in the back. I never felt it at the time. I then got off his buddy and started after him. I caught him going around the buggy rack.

The worst wound I got from this whole thing happened at this point. I busted my hand open on the metal frame or a buggy trying to punch this pos as he is scrambling away from me.

He got away and ran off.

I went inside to get security and to let them know what happened.

The people in walmart acted like they could have cared less. I couldn't even get the security guard to come outside at first.

When he finally did they were both gone.

They finally asked me if I wanted to call the cops.

I said **** it, grabbed my bags and left.

Reminds me of this scene from Open Range:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/eEneQFEFgMQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Yes.

I also think that a lot of those who would not do this or do not confront the younger generation regarding their behavior are also those who complain about how terrible they generation is.

If that's the case, you can do something about it.

Reminds me of this this scene from Open Range:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/lYyumFphtEQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I pretty routinely ask strangers about their behavior, when their behavior is affecting those around them. Rarely do these strangers ever work up the gumption to challenge anything.

It's rare that I actually tell someone to change their behavior. Usually, I simply ask whether or not they have ever considered their behavior and the presence of other persons around them.

Which is it?

Reactions: 2 people
Insofar as he was listening to music that I could hear, in my opinion it was too loud. That said, I neither asked him nor told him to turn it down or turn it off. I simply asked whether he had considered the possibility that it might annoy any other person. He said he hadn't. I then told him that he should consider that possibility, and I added that it is annoying to at least one other person. That was enough for him to turn his music off.

Now, one could easily ask whether or not I annoyed him. I think I did. Further, I deliberately did so. That is, I considered whether or not my question would annoy him, believed it would, and proceeded to ask it. I'm fine with that.

What would I have done if he had responded by simply saying he did not care if I was annoyed and continued to listen to his music? I would have left. But, again, in considering whether or not I was going to say something to him, I was also pretty sure that my questioning of his behavior would suffice to bring a halt to his behavior.
In other words, you sized him up.

At Snowshoe a few weeks ago, I came across a snowboarder in the lift line blasting reggae through a speaker. The rest of the patrons there seemed to accept that headphones are both convenient and more considerate while skiing a crowded mountain. I had the urge to give him a "What For?", but my kids were in tow. His countenance suggested that he *might* not have understood me, anyway.

So you sized him up?

That stuff always cracks me up. How do they even enforce it?

Back in the early 80s I got kicked out of the Superdome in New Orleans. When the security guys hauled us out, one of them said, “We better not ever see you in here again.” Even then I thought it was funny. If I showed up for a ball game even the next week, was I really gonna be recognized among 80k people?

They made sure the Vols never played in a Sugar Bowl afterwards...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back