Can Cuonzo Martin "swim with the sharks"?

Griff broke down b-ball recruiting at the end of the show by stating that "we were going after a couple of big men who were currently signed by Miami". What? Bishop Daniels is a guard and their only signed recruit. I feel sorry vol fans who take him as an authority, he's a phony.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I doubt he said that, I don't think you can "go after" a player who has signed a LOI. He might have misspoke meaning committed.

I doubt he said that, I don't think you can "go after" a player who has signed a LOI. He might have misspoke meaning committed.

1) Don't care what you think
2) He actually said we "would likely pursue" a couple of bigs from Miami once they were released from their LOI
3) My point was his "update" was full of incorrect info. Miami only has one player who could be released and he's a guard.
4)See #1

Last edited:
I'm fine with our coach not approaching the grey areas at this point in time

From the Clinton school.....

If accused: DENY, DENY, DENY!!

If caught "red handed": DENY, DENY, DENY!!!

I agree if it's your wife or girlfriend or both. But with the NCAA own up to the secondary stuff but deny the major junk.:thumbsup:

I think you have to live in the gray area to be successful, but I really wonder what Hamilton and Cheek think of this article.

Griffith never ceases to amaze me. In a league that contains Rick Stansbury and Darrin Horn as coaches, he lists Mike Anderson as an example of a guy who skirts the line in recruiting. Amazing.

He may be your boy and all, but there is no way you can't list King Cal in the conversation with Stansbury and Horn when referring to shady recruiting in the SEC.

He may be your boy and all, but there is no way you can't list King Cal in the conversation with Stansbury and Horn when referring to shady recruiting in the SEC.

You ever heard of World Wild West. Cal is not only shady he is dirty, and Kentucky is the cheatest program in the history of College Basketball. Not to mention football in the 70's and in 90's under Mumme.:loco:

You ever heard of World Wild West. Cal is not only shady he is dirty, and Kentucky is the cheatest program in the history of College Basketball. Not to mention football in the 70's and in 90's under Mumme.:loco:

Is he World Wide Wes's brother?

This is just a pathetic attempt by Griff to defend the previous staff's indiscretions.

Griffith is a Pearl tool. He is so in bed with the guy that articles like this show the extent of that bias.

Why he lists mike anderson is extremely perplexing. He never did anything "gray" at MU except recruit Tony Mitchell and even that wasn't really a rules issue. Furthermore, Anderson shouldn't be keeping Cuonzo up at night, the guy does nothing impressive on the recruiting front. He had exactly 0 players committed to MU when he left - and that is with NINE scholarships coming open in the next two years (3 this year and 6 next) AND with Otto porter, Ben mclemore, brad beal, and bj young all from the state of Missouri.

VolNation favorite, Mike Griffith, speaking this morning of Cuonzo Martin and how Tennessee's new coach is very mindful of compliance:

"Between him, Houston Fancher, and Kent Williams, these guys are so by the book. They are so by the book that I wonder how they are going to swim with the sharks. I think you've got to operate in a grey area. There's varying degrees of grey. But for the most part, Cuonzo doesn't wander anywhere near the line."

"When you are recruiting against guys like John Calipari and Mike Anderson, boy that's some tough turf."

He won't recruit the same players as the squid, neither did Pearl! Anderson maybe, and I dont know enough about him to say he is either dirty or a better recruiter than Cuonzo. If you do enlighten please.

he's absolutely right. You need to be smart about going into the grey area, like calipari and unlike pearl who did it, and had a picture taken in his house, dumb. It's the only way to compete in the dirty world of college bball, all the good ones with championships do it... If no picture existed, pearl could have looked those ncaa douches in the eye and dared them to prove it, calipari style.

bingo!!!

Pretty sure we've been skirting those boundaries for the past 6 years. It got us one elite eight, possible probation, possible scholarship reductions, a possible post season ban, and an inordinate amount of embarrassment and ridicule.

I love Bruce, but just sayin' Mike...maybe we try it the other way this time?

I'd rather have Enya on repeat than listen to 5 minutes of moronic Griffith.

He won't recruit the same players as the squid, neither did Pearl! Anderson maybe, and I dont know enough about him to say he is either dirty or a better recruiter than Cuonzo. If you do enlighten please.

Like you, I don't know enough about Anderson to make a valid argument either way. But based on my interpretation of Griffith's comments, he seems to think Anderson is both a good recruiter and a dirty one.

Like you, I don't know enough about Anderson to make a valid argument either way. But based on my interpretation of Griffith's comments, he seems to think Anderson is both a good recruiter and a dirty one.

My year old daughter has a better grasp on things than Griff. He's a joke.

VN Store

Back