Bye Bye Cuonzo

We are on the road against the #12 team in the nation. Honestly, some of the stupidity/unrealisticness on the basketball forums recently seems to rival that of the football forums.

With all this talent, your still making excuses? ???

How many years you got left? Football is at least 2 years away. Baseball is still a few years away. Hoops is better than both, but it's strangled by the coaching staff.

I hope you are right. I sure don't want to wait 20 years. I do feel football is on the right track. Not sure about baseball and basketball

Reactions: 1 person
I hope you are right. I sure don't want to wait 20 years. I do feel football is on the right track. Not sure about baseball and basketball

I think Serrano will get them back on track. Raleigh burned that program to the ground like Wade Houston did the hoops program. The total incompetence of the UT admin for the last 10 years pretty much carpet bombed the football and baseball programs. Pearl was the only one keeping hoops afloat and then his boneheaded decision making hurt it. We have good talent on the hoops team. You can't say the same for the football and baseball programs yet.

I think Serrano will get them back on track. Raleigh burned that program to the ground like Wade Houston did the hoops program. The total incompetence of the UT admin for the last 10 years pretty much carpet bombed the football and baseball programs. Pearl was the only one keeping hoops afloat and then his boneheaded decision making hurt it. We have good talent on the hoops team. You can't say the same for the football and baseball programs yet.

Cuonzo needs to get to the tournament this year. Another NIT appearance will not cut it.

Reactions: 2 people
Not freaking out by the loss to WS but once again the same trend is in place. Slow start by this team, no sense of urgency, substandard outside shooting and dismal from the "free points" free throw line. There is enough talent on this team to be a lot better than this. CCM is a great guy but hasn't shown the ability to coach this team to a fast start and steal some games. I don't know what his interaction is like with his players, but these guys don't need a buddy...they need a coach first....if that's part of it.

There was not much to pay attention too as far as games went. It was 3 and out most of the season :cray: in all meaningful games - so we had to find something else to watch and unfortunately that included the fugly gray uniforms.
You are kind of right about 1 thing - I'm old enough to remember the great coaches and teams we had at UT in the 80's and 90's (didn't need no stupid bearcat spread as we played the pro style offense and looked just fine winning the NC in beautiful ORANGE AND WHITE).

Times have changed. You have to keep evolving to succeed. Auburn will most likely win a title running a triple option with a DB at QB. Its a lot easier to play pro style offense with guys like Manning, Jamal Lewis, Peerless Price, Joey Kent etc.

We lost to a Top 10 team on the road....OMG hire the moving company

I don't want to speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure most are angry because of the whole body of work. The only consistency Cuonzo has brought to this program is that of mediocracy. In year 3 with this roster people are tired of it. For the 6 years that Pearl was here this fanbase got a taste of what success a good coach can bring to our program. Now we just gotta find one.

If you take the scoreboard away and just watch the film regardless of who the opponent or what the score is anyone who knows basketball can quickly see this team is not being coached or playing anywhere close to its full potential.

That assumes we would have done well. The speculation alone tanked Pearl's last season. With a cloud hanging over the program at least 2 years, I think it's more likely it would have been some tough times. I think believing everyone would be rosy with Pearl is naive.

Even though his team did tank, they still made the NCAA tournament, which is more than you can say about any cuonzo Martin coached team.

Ive tried to keep quiet and give martin a chance. but it is beginning to be quite obvious that he is not what we need. We are losing to teams that we shouldnt be with our talent level. it is down to coaching and there isnt any evidence of that with this basketball team, we look like we play pick up ball. Now down 17 at half time against NC state... im starting to be on the fire martin band wagon

Reactions: 2 people
Martin could possibly be the worst coach in division one. This is atrocious to say the least. This team plays with no passion and no heart. This guy has to be fired so we can somehow salvage this season. Why not hire Tony Jones to get through this season and then hire Pearl?

Martin could possibly be the worst coach in division one. This is atrocious to say the least. This team plays with no passion and no heart. This guy has to be fired so we can somehow salvage this season. Why not hire Tony Jones to get through this season and then hire Pearl?

Id be fine with that, but we need to fire Jimmy Cheek before doing anything. Then we hire Tony, then put Bruce back in place. If that won't work, fire Cheek and put anyone in as interim and go get a real coach.

Forget Pearl. He will not be back. He is gone. Let it go.

Cuonzo is horrible. Not sure how much people need to see, but he obviously doesn't have what it takes. If we don't watch it we'll soon be back in pre-Jerry Green days.

VN Store

Back