Bye Bye Cuonzo

Those two scenarios were completely different. It's not like we fired Pearl because he was a jackass.

I would've took the sanctions and stuck with him. He lied about a barbecue for crying out loud. If you don't believe that all coaches that have made this far don't bend the rules and tell some little white lies you are delusional.

I would've took the sanctions and stuck with him. He lied about a barbecue for crying out loud. If you don't believe that all coaches that have made this far don't bend the rules and tell some little white lies you are delusional.

Stuck with him? The NCAA would have lowered the boom.

It's frustrating right now to be a vol fan! I long for the days when we made the dance every year and played in a bowl every year! I don't like being mediocre.
I'll go one step further, I hate meaty okra.

CCM: Recruiting....B
Player Development and Coaching....D-

This guy is outcoached almost 100% of the time.

Stuck with him? The NCAA would have lowered the boom.

At most a 2 year post season ban. We have missed out 2 times with Martin. We could be trying to make the tournament this year with a proven winner instead of a guy who has never lead a team to the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: 1 person
At most a 2 year post season ban. We have missed out 2 times with Martin. We could be trying to make the tournament this year with a proven winner instead of a guy who has never lead a team to the NCAA tournament.

You have to add in the hit to recruiting, plus with how fickle our fanbase is people wouldn't just be sitting around patiently waiting for the 2 year postseason ban to end. People would be mega-pissed at Pearl quickly.

You have to add in the hit to recruiting, plus with how fickle our fanbase is people wouldn't just be sitting around patiently waiting for the 2 year postseason ban to end. People would be mega-pissed at Pearl quickly.

I'm not so sure. People would have been able to speculate about how well our (probably post season worthy teams coached by a winner) team would have done. There would have been some hope in that speculation vs the certainty we have in knowing our team isn't tournament worthy now with Cuonzo.

Basically, the USC/OSU effect.

Zo Gotta Go!

Zo Gotta Stay! You on the other hand

daily_gifdump_462_16.gif

I'm not so sure. People would have been able to speculate about how well our (probably post season worthy teams coached by a winner) team would have done. There would have been some hope in that speculation vs the certainty we have in knowing our team isn't tournament worthy now with Cuonzo.

Basically, the USC/OSU effect.

That assumes we would have done well. The speculation alone tanked Pearl's last season. With a cloud hanging over the program at least 2 years, I think it's more likely it would have been some tough times. I think believing everyone would be rosy with Pearl is naive.

Cuounzo's teams play very hard, he recruits well, and players seem to want to play for him. Because of those reasons I believe there is a good chance he will turn this around.

Let me guess, you still leave cookies and milk out for Santa Claus too ?

That assumes we would have done well. The speculation alone tanked Pearl's last season. With a cloud hanging over the program at least 2 years, I think it's more likely it would have been some tough times. I think believing everyone would be rosy with Pearl is naive.

I wasn't saying everybody would be rosy. I just meant to say I don't think it would be all doom and gloom like many make it out.

Cuounzo's teams play very hard, he recruits well, and players seem to want to play for him. Because of those reasons I believe there is a good chance he will turn this around.

None of that matters if you can't get the most out of your players. He may get his guys to play hard, but his whole approach to coaching is to throw $#!+ at the wall and see what sticks.

That's why he won't ttn things around.

None of that matters if you can't get the most out of your players. He may get his guys to play hard, but his whole approach to coaching is to throw $#!+ at the wall and see what sticks.

That's why he won't ttn things around.

That same approach (very tough defense and somehow come up with just enough offense) worked wonders for his mentor Gene Kaedy at Purdue for 25+ years.

That same approach (very tough defense and somehow come up with just enough offense) worked wonders for his mentor Gene Kaedy at Purdue for 25+ years.

1. You're assuming Cuonzo is as good at his job as Kaedy. There is no evidence that points to this.

2. It isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. That style of play is outdated. Kaedy's last 20 won season was 1999-200.

1. You're assuming Cuonzo is as good at his job as Kaedy. There is no evidence that points to this.

2. It isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. That style of play is outdated. Kaedy's last 20 won season was 1999-200.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think a very athletic and physical style Cuonzo is trying to play will always be successful and never outdated (supplemented with few skilled playmakers like McRae and Hubbs). People will hate to play this team later in the year when they gel some more (we have seen evidence of this in last few years when they had nice stretches of wins little bit later in the year). After all, even the commentators during today's game were praising out staff - perhaps those guys know a little bit more about basketball than you and me?

Who cares if they hate to play the Vols if it results in another NIT first round loss or worse.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think a very athletic and physical style Cuonzo is trying to play will always be successful and never outdated (supplemented with few skilled playmakers like McRae and Hubbs). People will hate to play this team later in the year when they gel some more (we have seen evidence of this in last few years when they had nice stretches of wins little bit later in the year). After all, even the commentators during today's game were praising out staff - perhaps those guys know a little bit more about basketball than you and me?
None of that changes the fact that he is squandering talent. Cuonzo can be counted on to waste the first half of every season he coaches.

Even if you're right and his style of play isn't outdated, he's done a poor job of making it work with plenty of talent.

You can't spell Cuonzo Martin with out NIT. That's exactly where we can count on ending up every season if he sticks around.

VN Store

Back