Buying out of the Oklahoma game

Should TN buyout of the OU game?

• Total voters
3-0 going into Florida, the Vols are gaining momentum, the fans are excited, the team has gained some experience in games where mistakes don't get you immediately grilled. I don't see how this could harm the program?

And the OU game isn't the make or break because it's the OU game. The OU game is a make or break because it is a glaring "L" on the schedule next year. If we change it to a "W", we're looking at getting to a bowl at least. Let the team and coaches find a big win somewhere else on the schedule (like Florida).
if we can beat UF next season we can beat OU

To be the best you have to beat the best.

ric-flair-bio.png

Reactions: 2 people
if we can beat UF next season we can beat OU

The OU game is on the road, early, for a "young" team.
The UF game is at home and Florida is reeling from this year. I think I like our chances against UF better.

Plus if we buy out of OU, that's another game for the youngsters to progress and for Butch to implement his 2014 plans early. More "practice" for the team going into the conference games.

I forgot that they moved the UF game. So we would be 3-0 going into a BYE week to prepare to go to UGA before coming home to play Florida.

The OU game is on the road, early, for a "young" team.
The UF game is at home and Florida is reeling from this year. I think I like our chances against UF better.

Plus if we buy out of OU, that's another game for the youngsters to progress and for Butch to implement his 2014 plans early. More "practice" for the team going into the conference games.

Buying out of this game isn't going to happen. As someone else mentioned it's way too late for that.

Trade your panties in for big boy pants!

Reactions: 5 people
You're kidding yourself if you think the fans wouldn't fill the stadium for another early home game to watch our prized recruits continue to develop, and to continue to support the team going into the Florida game and conference play.
Exactly! Our fan base is delusional which is a good thing they come and see the guys play anybody, but we have a bad part of the delusion when we don't agree that we can't compete nationally like we use to.

Buying out of this game isn't going to happen. As someone else mentioned it's way too late for that.

Trade your panties in for big boy pants!

We bought out of the UNC game late. It could be done

When was the last time the Lady Vols bought out a game? Now for those of you wanting to buy out OK, see what you are.

In some ways, I agree with the OP. I'm getting tired of these other schools playing these easy ooc games, while we are trying to rebuild, and need more W's, and are playing one of the toughest schedules of anybody year after year. It also hurts us RIGHT NOW, that we have to play bama every year, and no other team in the eastern division has to do that. I keep thinking how I wish we could swap schedules with so many other teams...lol. On the other hand, I can see why we do though, but it is tough.

When was the last time the Lady Vols bought out a game? Now for those of you wanting to buy out OK, see what you are.

When's the last time the Lady Vols had 3 straight losing seasons?

In some ways, I agree with the OP. I'm getting tired of these other schools playing these easy ooc games, while we are trying to rebuild, and need more W's, and are playing one of the toughest schedules of anybody year after year. It also hurts us RIGHT NOW, that we have to play bama every year, and no other team in the eastern division has to do that. I keep thinking how I wish we could swap schedules with so many other teams...lol. On the other hand, I can see why we do though, but it is tough.

It's the principle of never backing down from a fight or a battle. I get that.

However, like you said, we're trying to build ourselves back up, and no other team that has to rebuild has to play the teams that we hurl ourselves into.

It would be different if these games were even close. We're not even putting up a fight against the top dogs anymore. We're chalking up L's on our schedule just because, at this point. There's no reason to play Oklahoma besides pride. We would benefit in so many other ways by letting that series go and focusing on truly rebuilding and reestablishing ourselves from the ground up.

It's the principle of never backing down from a fight or a battle. I get that.

However, like you said, we're trying to build ourselves back up, and no other team that has to rebuild has to play the teams that we hurl ourselves into.

It would be different if these games were even close. We're not even putting up a fight against the top dogs anymore. We're chalking up L's on our schedule just because, at this point. There's no reason to play Oklahoma besides pride. We would benefit in so many other ways by letting that series go and focusing on truly rebuilding and reestablishing ourselves from the ground up.

And how does playing OK keep us from doing that? Playing some cupcake does not give the team the experience they need. Remember, next year's team will be mostly different players than team 117.

And how does playing OK keep us from doing that? Playing some cupcake does not give the team the experience they need. Remember, next year's team will be mostly different players than team 117.

I think one thing he's saying is that if we played more of those "cupcake" teams, we would at least get to a bowl game. I know that this year, getting to a bowl game was one of CBJ goals because he wanted the team to get in the extra practice time they get for a bowl game, plus the ee's would also get to practice. If we had just one more of those cupcake games this year, we would be going to a bowl game.

We'll be young, but we'll be upgrading at nearly every position with top talent. I'm not very worried about playing Oklahoma honestly. They've been pretty underwhelming to say the least. I'm just worried about our QB situation. Worley is solid and a gamer, but not top level, and until Ferguson steps on the field, he's considered a question mark.

VN Store

Back