Buying out of the Oklahoma game

Should TN buyout of the OU game?

• Total voters
pay to play in a bowl game, fail to sellout a game vs Bama School of Dentistry or fill the stands against a nationally recognized opponent. Which has a better return?

What about the home date you have to give up to go play them?

pay to play in a bowl game, fail to sellout a game vs Bama School of Dentistry or fill the stands against a nationally recognized opponent. Which has a better return?

I wasn't talking about a bowl game, strictly a game against OU or a cupcake.

A bowl game isn't necessarily about making money, it's about exposure. At this point, I'd rather pay to be in a bowl game than missing one for a fourth straight year.

What about the home date you have to give up to go play them?

likely a wash with the buyout money and lost revenue on their return. If that's the case then the hit is to the UT brand for buying out yet another name series for a win

pay to play in a bowl game, fail to sellout a game vs Bama School of Dentistry or fill the stands against a nationally recognized opponent - which has a better return?

Playing in a bowl game is what this program needs more than a loss to OU at home.

Reactions: 1 person
You're kidding yourself if you think the fans wouldn't fill the stadium for another early home game to watch our prized recruits continue to develop, and to continue to support the team going into the Florida game and conference play.

I wasn't talking about a bowl game, strictly a game against OU or a cupcake.

A bowl game isn't necessarily about making money, it's about exposure. At this point, I'd rather pay to be in a bowl game than missing one for a fourth straight year.

you're right about exposure. We'll get great press for buying out the game and beating some opponent usually reserved for homecoming.

you buy it out to get closer to 6 wins so a bowl game is integral to the plan

you're right about exposure. We'll get great press for buying out the game and beating some opponent usually reserved for homecoming.

That won't be the story in December when Butch finishes with 6 or 7 wins and the team has some positive momentum building.

Do you think ANY OF US or anyone around the program thought that we would be coming off three 5-win seasons going into this series when they originally agreed to it?
FOOTBALL POWERHOUSES TENNESSEE AND OKLAHOMA TO SQUARE OFF IN 2014-15 - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

No, we thought that it would be a great game for what we assumed would forever be AT LEAST a top-20 Tennessee program.

This program isn't prepared to keep walking into these games with broken ribs. Eventually, we have to accept that it's time to work our way back up to the big dogs.

Reactions: 2 people
I get that, but we stand to lose more money in the long run by finishing with another 5 win season and missing another bowl, or getting Butch fired again.

In my mind, buying out of the OU series is an investment that will end up working out for us.

When did Butch get fired?

Do you think ANY OF US or anyone around the program thought that we would be coming off three 5-win seasons going into this series when they originally agreed to it?
FOOTBALL POWERHOUSES TENNESSEE AND OKLAHOMA TO SQUARE OFF IN 2014-15 - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

No, we thought that it would be a great game for what we assumed would forever be AT LEAST a top-20 Tennessee program.

This program isn't prepared to keep walking into these games with broken ribs. Eventually, we have to accept that it's time to work our way back up to the big dogs.

we weren't even a top-20 program 2 months after that article was published. Should have cancelled it then

I meant to say, getting that "Fire Butch" conversation going again at this time next year

if one away game vs OU is the catalyst for a fire Butch discussion then we have bigger problems

Is it time for us to start thinking about letting this series go? Utah State and Ark State are no cupcakes, so we need all the for sure Ws we can get.

I remember being upset when we backed out of the UNC series, but we can't keep putting ourselves in these gauntlet games. These kinds of games against top-tier programs are only beneficial for boosting our strength of schedule if we were worth a damn and making a run at a title or BCS game. We can't keep lining up against superior talent and expecting to come away with a .500 or better season.

By the way, I know that I'm not the first person to propose this idea. A few people were talking about buying out of Oregon before 2013, and I've seen people talk about buying out of OU too. I just figured it was time for us to explore some options.

Will not happen. way too late and expensive to pull off..

Is it time for us to start thinking about letting this series go? Utah State and Ark State are no cupcakes, so we need all the for sure Ws we can get.

I remember being upset when we backed out of the UNC series, but we can't keep putting ourselves in these gauntlet games. These kinds of games against top-tier programs are only beneficial for boosting our strength of schedule if we were worth a damn and making a run at a title or BCS game. We can't keep lining up against superior talent and expecting to come away with a .500 or better season.

By the way, I know that I'm not the first person to propose this idea. A few people were talking about buying out of Oregon before 2013, and I've seen people talk about buying out of OU too. I just figured it was time for us to explore some options.

This was a topic of discussion on FM99.1 in Knoxville this morning. A number of pros and cons were battered around and I am not sure anyone agreed what could/should be done. I don'r give a rats *** either way, but it would be an advantage to go to a Bowl and get the much needed practice.

I agree. I said this a while ago and got flamed up for saying it. The Coach Snyder way is alright with me.

we weren't even a top-20 program 2 months after that article was published. Should have cancelled it then

:huh: I'm not saying that you back out of a series just because you're not ranked.

It's obvious that we have a lot of rebuilding and regrouping to do. Why walk into the lion's den when we're trying to establish our 2014 Tennessee Vols identity early?

if one away game vs OU is the catalyst for a fire Butch discussion then we have bigger problems

3-0 going into Florida, the Vols are gaining momentum, the fans are excited, the team has gained some experience in games where mistakes don't get you immediately grilled. I don't see how this could harm the program?

And the OU game isn't the make or break because it's the OU game. The OU game is a make or break because it is a glaring "L" on the schedule next year. If we change it to a "W", we're looking at getting to a bowl at least. Let the team and coaches find a big win somewhere else on the schedule (like Florida).

VN Store

Back