Butch Jones starting a new Game Day Tradition this year at LP Field.

Man... memorizing maxims is over the top for fans. I say we add more woo and call it good.

The band's pregame show is like 15 mins long. Are they doing this before that, during or cutting the band out?

I'd say either immediately before the band steps off, or right after the National Anthem while the band is standing still.

And having marched Pregame for four straight years, I can tell you that it's not 15 minutes long. Maybe 8, with the National Anthem.

Compromise: Professionally video the players reciting the maxims in the locker room (quick pace, the players' tempo and inflection). Play said video right before the team runs through the T. If fans want to recite along with the video, more power to them. If they don't, it won't matter.

I'll take this one step further. Have a different player read each maxim.
Have Dobbs read the first one. 1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
Maggitt would be good for 5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.
Have one of the captains read 7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

I live in Iowa and get to a couple of their games a year (Still a VOLS fan). At the start of their games before they come out they have a count down from 10 with the players recording different numbers. At the end the semi hits the logo of the team they are playing and the crows goes wild. I can only imagine the excitement and getting the crowd going with the maxim's before running out of the T.....we do everything better than Iowa!

Going to have to explain what oskie is.

according to the urban dictionary

oskie
A term used used in football to let the lineman know to block the closest person on the other team when the ball is intercepted or a fumble is recovered
Oskie! Oskie! Oskie! Oskie! Oskie!

>> Chuck Cavalaris "Majors unlocks key to 'oskie' origin " _Knoxville
>> News-Sentinel_ 12/16/ 2001 p. C3 " ""It comes from oskie -wow-wow, which is
>> a phrase we were taught to yell after we intercepted a pass," [former UT
>> player and head coach Johnny] Majors said. "You would yell, ' Oskie , oskie
>> , oskie ' to let your teammates know they needed to turn around and block
>> someone." Majors said he first heard the phrase in 1953 as a freshman when
>> first-year players were not eligible. . . .But where does oskie come from,
>> coach? . . .Here's the best Majors can tell, both from conversations with
>> [former UT Head Coach Robert] Neyland and elsewhere: oskie -wow-wow is an
>> Indian term that became familiar to settlers in the "frontier days." "I wish
>> I had the exact translation for you," he said. "But oskie -wow-wow means
>> circle the wagons and protect your perimeter. When settlers heard oskie
>> -wow-wow, they knew something was up and needed to close ranks, whether it
>> was a possible attack or a b!
>> attle cry or whatever. It also makes sense in football because the
>> secondary is part of your perimeter defense." "

got that from this link

Random observations on oskie (UNCLASSIFIED)

Here is a link to a video clip (https://vimeo.com/20110473) wherein Andy Kozar traces the origins of that colorful phrase in Tennessee football history. It seems the phrase was first coined by two members of a fraternity at the University of Illinois in 1912. By the time Red Grange played there in the 1920s, it was already used as a battle cry by fans of the Fighting Illini. Kozar establishes a probable conduit of verbal transmission through a member of UT's engineering drawing faculty and Athletic Board. This gentleman, named Mathews, was "the first cheerleader at Tennessee, he was the first cheerleader at Illinois; in 1905, he was there." Neyland, of course, eventually used "Oskie Wow Wow" as a means of instantaneously informing his defensive players that "we have intercepted the ball, now we are on offense, so start blocking."

Incidentally, the link provided by Governmentmule contains the following data, which pushes the historical etymology of the term back a bit further:

"An early use of the word in a cheer:
>> "PENNSYLVANIA, 12; TIGERS, 0"
>> _New York Times_ Nov 11, 1894; pg. 3
>> "The Quakers now sprung a new cry upon the crowd. They had evidently been
>> holding it back as a final war whoop should their team do well. It was:
>> "Oski-wow-wow, whisky-wow-wow, Olemukili Kentucky-i-Pennsylvania."

Last edited:
Glad to see the overwhelming consensus here is that reciting the maxims is a bad idea. I have loved most every move Coach Jones has made but, sorry, this would just be flat-out hokey.

I like the idea of new traditions though. How about the University staging a contest to determine the best idea, with the winner receiving, say, free season tickets?

VN Store

Back