Butch Jones starting a new Game Day Tradition this year at LP Field.

One of the most awkward things I've experienced in Neyland. Definitely not new or a good idea

Reactions: 6 people
IMO, a mass recitation like this is much more likely to deflate the crowd than to fire it up. They'll recover quickly, of course, but this is just one of those things that may sound like a good idea but probably isn't.

The 7 maxims are no less valid today than they were in Neyland's time, but inspirational they're not.

Agree. Principles are timeless, verbiage is not. "Pour on more steam"?.... very pre-World War 2-ish. Can't see how reciting the Maxims exactly whips the crowd into a pre-game frenzy. Fist up defense...3rd down for what....first down chant....and now reciting the maxims. He's very quickly approaching the point of diminishing returns imo, especially if he's not winning big. All this is potentially pithy, maybe hip, certainly tolerable if we're challenging for a spot in the Final 4. However, if we're winning 7 games it's bordeline annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
CBJ needs to check the tape from the last time this was attempted. The Maxims are great, but have no rhythm. It becomes a muddled mess when a large group reads them.

Coach Jones,

You are not the 1st UT coach to try reading the maxims aloud before games. I know your heart is in the right place, but the maxims read before the game really cools down the crowd. I have seen it first hand for a half season before it was abandoned. I want you to reconsider this decision.

Thank You,
Volview

Reactions: 7 people
Which is worse...

Third Down for What played 100 times per game or attempting to recite the maxims?

Reactions: 2 people
It HAS been done before...it was an epic fail. It is far, far too long. 100,000+ people putting different inflections on different words within a sentence comes off sounding like 100,000+ people with the mumbles.

And you have to consider the different reading levels. Wouldn't look good on TV to see a bunch of fans holding up fingers to trace the words on the big screen as they read them.

Reactions: 1 person
Compromise: Professionally video the players reciting the maxims in the locker room (quick pace, the players' tempo and inflection). Play said video right before the team runs through the T. If fans want to recite along with the video, more power to them. If they don't, it won't matter.

Reactions: 12 people
How would this affect the band pregame routine? That has been in place for years and is just as thrilling today as it ever has been. When they started moving in to form the T....now that is exciting.

Not a big fan of this. Love the Maxims, but I think that's something special for the team... like touching the "I'll give my all..." sign. Fun traditions catch on with a rowdy crowd; reciting 7 Maxims notsomuch, IMO.

already been said, but there comes a point when it just gets to be too much. I find little fault in Butch and I am really surprised he thinks this is a good idea. Reciting the maxims could come off seriously lame. I really don't see how this could end well at all.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back