Butch and the energy bus

I'm reading The Power of Positive Leadership by Jon Gordon and randomly came across this section of the book. Jon is a writer and speaker spreading the word on how positive leaders can affect your team and what the future holds.

you mean Jon Gruden

Year two we were relying on allot of true freshmen to carry the load. Not even close to where we are now.

I should have been more clear, I meant by where we'll finish in the SEC East. There is no reason the University of Tennessee football program shouldn't be in the hunt for the SEC East in year 5 of a coaches tenure.

But those slogans and catchphrases are what today's generation of kids, both players and recruits, respond to. The fans may not like them, but it's how coaches in every program get their kids' attention and keep it.

I suppose you could argue that not every program is as forthcoming with what their slogans and mottos are. But I can assure you that every program, even Alabama, uses the same motivational tactics.

The biggest difference in us and Alabama is wins. Butch can use all the catch phrases he wants if he's winning.

I don't think kids care about the majority of this stuff. They wanna be on TV, wear cool ass uniforms, go to big time bowl games, have great facilities and compete for championships.

Reactions: 1 person
The biggest difference in us and Alabama is wins. Butch can use all the catch phrases he wants if he's winning.

I don't think kids care about the majority of this stuff. They wanna be on TV, wear cool ass uniforms, go to big time bowl games, have great facilities and compete for championships.

You would be surprised with what this generation really cares about.

This thread is...Gold, Jerry, Gold!

I can't recall giving out more likes in a single thread as this.

Keep 'em coming.

I should have been more clear, I meant by where we'll finish in the SEC East. There is no reason the University of Tennessee football program shouldn't be in the hunt for the SEC East in year 5 of a coaches tenure.

Wow! You've given up on the season over two months before the first game. We're in the hunt for the East until our record says we're not.

I think Butch needs to come to grips that games aren't won with catchy slogans and that rah rah crap is getting old. He's in year #5 and it honestly feels like we're back in year 2. The expectations for this years team is possibly a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the East, no closer to beating Bama and we should be on a 3 year winning streak vs Florida but we all know how that turned out.

I don't ever expect us to have a run like we did in the 90's, those were great years but we all realize the SEC is a whole let better now than it was then. I think Butch has taken us about as far as he can (Like Majors) and now we need someone to take us to the next level.

I honestly don't think the league is better as a whole,. It was UT/Florida in the 90's with Bama winning a NC in 92 sprinkled in with Auburn and MSU having solid teams as well and lately it's been LSU/Bama overall with of course Bama taking over the reigns lately by themselves. The last few years have been the worst the conference has ever been, with the exception of Bama.

Last edited:
Wow! You've given up on the season over two months before the first game. We're in the hunt for the East until our record says we're not.

I'm not giving up on anything but I am taking a realistic approach to the season. It's difficult to feel they'll win the East after what we saw in November last year...with a more experienced team. I hope I'm wrong but my expectations this season is 7-5 / 8-4. A couple of lucky breaks and a QB emerging as a star and it may be better.

Is Butch Jones, just in over his head?:ermm:

He is conservative. He wants preparation and execution to win games. Some times you have to gamble, take the shot and let the chips fall. When you field the better team it's harder to gamble due to the feeling that we can run rough shod over an opponent. The problem is it's a game of inches and a break here or there can flip the script and then it's a dog fight till the end.

You can have all the motivational mush but if you are a weak leader, it comes across as soft and phony. Josh Pastner was an example of this. (Not saying Butch is a weak leader)

A few years ago, my work made me go to a multi-day HR touchy-feely type course. As y'all can tell, Im not the most PC poster here. My wife (pregnant at the time) was making fun of me having to attend. At the end of the course, she asked "what did you learn?". I said "Im glad you are already pregnant since I think that course neutered me"

Reactions: 2 people
I think Butch needs to come to grips that games aren't won with catchy slogans and that rah rah crap is getting old. He's in year #5 and it honestly feels like we're back in year 2. The expectations for this years team is possibly a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the East, no closer to beating Bama and we should be on a 3 year winning streak vs Florida but we all know how that turned out.

I don't ever expect us to have a run like we did in the 90's, those were great years but we all realize the SEC is a whole let better now than it was then. I think Butch has taken us about as far as he can (Like Majors) and now we need someone to take us to the next level.

I think this year's team is starting with a heck of a lot more talent than years 2 team. O line should be a strength instead of a weakness and the D should be loaded with playmakers.

I'm not giving up on anything but I am taking a realistic approach to the season. It's difficult to feel they'll win the East after what we saw in November last year...with a more experienced team. I hope I'm wrong but my expectations this season is 7-5 / 8-4. A couple of lucky breaks and a QB emerging as a star and it may be better.
Safe bet. No fun whatsoever, but safe.

True they where more experienced. But we lost JRM a he was our qb on D . And u never want the starting qb to go down.

The kids care about the slogans because those are the rallying cries that get their attention internally.

Winning is always the goal, how you get there is where the rest of it comes in.

We've lost Maggit,AJ and JRM the last few years. Imagine if Big Al would have went down in 98. That's the heart of the D gone.

And get to the NFL.

Isn't Neylands 7 maxims just slogans that have weathered the test of time?

I believe some on here complain a little too much about things that have been part of sports teams for a very long time.

Reactions: 7 people
must say I see a lot of energy expended at Butch's expense...bus or not...there's better things to do, like, kissing your dog and kicking your wife...:)

GO VOLS!

I didn't say they'll win the East, but they'll certainly be in the hunt. Yes we wet the bed against Vandy last year, but we also beat both of the teams projected to finish ahead of us in the East race. Let's let it play out before we declare the 2017 season a failure.

VN Store

Back