BTO’s Wake Forest postgame report

this ain't the same Fulk I remember as before his injury...don't claim to know why...aliens, maybe...:)

GO VOLS!

This year's version of Fulkerson took something like 9 months off from practice immediately before the season began and had a surgery or two. If he's back up to speed by the last part of the season TN could be rolling.

Reactions: 1 person
From watching Fulkerson, I think he will get better as the season goes on. It seems to me like he is struggling to get used to the speed of the game so far. He is usually in the right place, just a half second too late. He has great instincts, but his body hasn't caught back up yet. He tries to overcorrect by rushing and ends up making a lot of fouls on the process. One of the most basketball saavy players I've seen in a long time.

Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 30
Bowden 25
Alexander 25
Turner 20
Daniel 15
Fulkerson 10
Walker 5

Pretty much leaves Johnson, Pons, and Darrington with very few scraps to fight for. Especially if the light comes on for Fulkerson and he moves up to the 15-20 minute range.

Daniel has earned his 20 minutes I believe.

I rarely ever blame officiating for anything but I agree and the most obvious game to make your point was at Ole Miss last year. I was there and the entire game it was so obvious from both sides that the officials just couldn’t keep up with the pace of play. It’s hard not only on the players but coaches as well to scheme effectively

I saw misses yesterday but I suggest letting the players play and calling the obvious and letting the petty stuff go...
that would be an answer...too many petty fouls or non fouls are called...let the guys play the game

One of the most basketball saavy players I've seen in a long time.

The chaotic play where several players were scrambling for the ball and Fulkerson calls timeout as soon as he sees a Tennessee player has possession is just one example.

The little things add up. The attention to details help make this team better.

He is obviously rusty but I have no doubt he will return to previous form and continue to get better.

I don't understand what has happened to Turner. Thought he was a much better shooter and he seems to play out of control too much. Too many TO's.

Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 30
Bowden 25
Alexander 25
Turner 20
Daniel 15
Fulkerson 10
Walker 5

Pretty much leaves Johnson, Pons, and Darrington with very few scraps to fight for. Especially if the light comes on for Fulkerson and he moves up to the 15-20 minute range.

Wow...seems way off in a few spots. No offense. Daniel only getting 15min a night would be no bueno!

Wow...seems way off in a few spots. No offense. Daniel only getting 15min a night would be no bueno!

I would be tempted to keep Bowden out there even longer, lol

I guess thats why he's been so reliable - they're not letting him or anyone get too tired

I agree about Daniel, but when Bone plays the way he did Saturday, he needs to stay out there

From watching Fulkerson, I think he will get better as the season goes on. It seems to me like he is struggling to get used to the speed of the game so far. He is usually in the right place, just a half second too late. He has great instincts, but his body hasn't caught back up yet. He tries to overcorrect by rushing and ends up making a lot of fouls on the process. One of the most basketball saavy players I've seen in a long time.

Halfway agree. Definitely agree about the reason he gets called for fouling at times. Hope that improves with more minutes. But I think, and somebody correct me if I’m wrong, he used to get limited minutes in high school/prep school for being in foul trouble. So I think some of us gave him too much credit for having a higher IQ. His main attribute is effort and energy. Imo If he can stay on the floor and spell a current GW and KA, and start giving an offensive spark like he was before he got hurt last year, look the heck out. If not, he’s 5 fouls and a breather for the main guys.

Big thing is Barnes is as no nonsense coach as we’ve seen here in a long time. And if he keeps giving him minutes, he sees contributions some of us don’t.

Reactions: 1 person
Barnes really must see something because stupid fouls buy his players bench time really quickly.

It seems to me that Fulkerson's value really comes out in a fast paced, 94 foot game. TN plays a lot of baseline-to-baseline basketball, but the opponents have been pretty successful at slowing the pace thus far. The best teams tend to play fast... the less talented ones often slow it down. Fulkerson will be in his element when both teams want to run and the refs are willing to be discreet with the unnecessary whistle blowing.

Barnes really must see something because stupid fouls buy his players bench time really quickly.

It seems to me that Fulkerson's value really comes out in a fast paced, 94 foot game. TN plays a lot of baseline-to-baseline basketball, but the opponents have been pretty successful at slowing the pace thus far. The best teams tend to play fast... the less talented ones often slow it down. Fulkerson will be in his element when both teams want to run and the refs are willing to be discreet with the unnecessary whistle blowing.

Not gonna lie, I was about to call you on saying Fulkerson had a high basket IQ last yr. but then thought it could have been lastlap. Iirc

Last edited:
I love this coach/team and the style of play is awesome! This is the deepest team we have had in a while. That being said I expect us to go 8-8, 9-7 in league play. It will be entertaining to watch. Might make the dance with a good tourney run.

I love this coach/team and the style of play is awesome! This is the deepest team we have had in a while. That being said I expect us to go 8-8, 9-7 in league play. It will be entertaining to watch. Might make the dance with a good tourney run.

18 games. I'm thinking about 9-9 and an NCAAT invitation even with a one-and-done in the SECT.

Not gonna lie, I was about to call you on saying Fulkerson had a high basket IQ last yr. but then thought it could have been lastlap. Iirc

Not following the Last Lap reference, but the owner did share his name with a great Vol. RIP Jimmy from Holston HS.

Not following the Last Lap reference, but the owner did share his name with a great Vol. RIP Jimmy from Holston HS.

Jimmy England? Don't know as much about about Holston as I do my alma mater, Fulton. Ron Widby and Bill Justus were Fulton and Tennessee legends

Speaking of Fulton legends, I really was hoping UT would have offered Jalen Steele a scholarship, but with all the injuries he had at Miss. St, it probably was best they didn't. Fulton has a kid, named Davis, right now, that is very talented. Maybe not SEC talented, but he is still just a junior, so will we see. Btw, I played with his Dad at Fulton, in the late 80s, so I'm biased.

VN Store

Back