BTO’s Wake Forest postgame report

Would like to see Turner get his shot back, but I'm sure he will.

One of the features on KenPom is showing similar players, and Turner is currently almost an identical match to JCovan Brown through his first two years. Extremely unusual to fine someone so similar as Turner is. So it gives me some hope that he we make a leap and be a good contributor. But right now he has few redeeming qualities except when we need to play defense and rebound.

Alexander was the player of the game today with his stat line and Pons, Walker and Johnson had big minutes while Williams and Schofield were saddled with first half foul trouble.

Arkansas will be a very tough place to win at starting SEC Play.

For all those "star gazers" out there, this TEAM is proof of what good coaching can do for players. They've clearly bought in. They play for each other and just want to get the "W. I'm excited about them moving forward! I can't remember the last time both the Lady VOLS and the men's teams were ranked ?! Basketball seems to be trending up ! GB🍊

Reactions: 4 people
For all those "star gazers" out there, this TEAM is proof of what good coaching can do for players. They've clearly bought in. They play for each other and just want to get the "W. I'm excited about them moving forward! I can't remember the last time both the Lady VOLS and the men's teams were ranked ?! Basketball seems to be trending up ! GB🍊

I get what you are saying, but the Lady Vols aren’t the same kind of team. They are absolutely dripping with talent; could argue for them being the most talented team in the country. They might not have started the year on top of the polls, but unlike the men’s team they should never be looked at as underdogs/ upstarts.

Russell, Jackson, and Naired are excellent upperclassmen and the freshmen are so damned athletic. The freshman PG Evina Westbrook has one of the highest basketball IQ’s I’ve ever seen in a freshman basketball player. She looks like a senior out there most of the time.

It is an absolutely great time for Volunteer hoops players. I am excited to see both teams win some games in the tournament.

Reactions: 4 people
Has nothing to do with UT report card. But the refs really struggled in this game. I felt sorry for them. Just like players have off games, so do refs sometimes. And they def had an off night.

I get what you are saying, but the Lady Vols aren’t the same kind of team. They are absolutely dripping with talent; could argue for them being the most talented team in the country. They might not have started the year on top of the polls, but unlike the men’s team they should never be looked at as underdogs/ upstarts.

Russell, Jackson, and Naired are excellent upperclassmen and the freshmen are so damned athletic. The freshman PG Evina Westbrook has one of the highest basketball IQ’s I’ve ever seen in a freshman basketball player. She looks like a senior out there most of the time.

It is an absolutely great time for Volunteer hoops players. I am excited to see both teams win some games in the tournament.
My comment about the coaching was more a reference toward the men's team big man, but proud of both for sure.

Has nothing to do with UT report card. But the refs really struggled in this game. I felt sorry for them. Just like players have off games, so do refs sometimes. And they def had an off night.

I was just having this conversation with my wife yesterday. Athletes are getting bigger and faster every year, but the officials don't seem to be able to keep up. They, either need to get a fourth official on the court, or maybe recruit some younger officials to keep pace. They, in general, seem to be missing some obvious calls I think, in part, because they can't keep up with the pace of the game.

Reactions: 1 person

Yes. I knew had another point to make in my original post, but I lost my train of thought and gave up trying to remember. Their were several calls that were bad, including the no call on Admiral that would have given WF two foul shots when the game was still in reach, and the no call on the obvious offensive goaltend by WF. I think Alexander could have gotten a goaltending call early in the 2nd half as well for pinning a shot on the backboard, though it was a bang-bang play.

Overall, a lot of bad in that game from the refs.

Yes. I knew had another point to make in my original post, but I lost my train of thought and gave up trying to remember. Their were several calls that were bad, including the no call on Admiral that would have given WF two foul shots when the game was still in reach, and the no call on the obvious offensive goaltend by WF. I think Alexander could have gotten a goaltending call early in the 2nd half as well for pinning a shot on the backboard, though it was a bang-bang play.

Overall, a lot of bad in that game from the refs.

Looked to me like Alexander got that ball pinned after it was bouncing off of the backboard. That should have been goal tending. Then Wake slapped the backboard on a missed layup by Turner... that should have been another goal tending.

I felt sometimes they were trying to work a season of off nights into one game...:)

GO VOLS!

It’s just not possible to play lockdown D for an entire 40 minutes. Players will get exhausted and stamina becomes an issue. But I have seen glimpses with this team. WHEN UT has needed a BIG stop this year, they look a little different. They look a lot more aggressive and involved. I think Barnes has taught this team not only HOW to reach this level of defending but more importantly WHEN to do it.

Great win today fellas! Bowden and Bone my MVPs, and the bench for keeping us close in the first half when grant and admiral were sitting.

When Grant got that foul one second into the game, I thought it was going to be a long day for us. IMO refs tried to let WF hang around, but we FINALLY were able to put them away. GBO!

Reactions: 3 people
Hey, if we're only the 13th best team in the SEC, the ACC doesn't want any of the SEC this season...

Quality win. All they'll need to do now is hold their own in the SEC and they'll be dancing in March. But I don't think they'll be satisfied with that. They were picked 13th in the SEC, why not shoot for 13th in the whole country next? They might be, if they can come that close to Nova and UNC.

Looked to me like Alexander got that ball pinned after it was bouncing off of the backboard. That should have been goal tending. Then Wake slapped the backboard on a missed layup by Turner... that should have been another goal tending.

I thought so to, but that being such a bang-bang play, it's more forgivable than some of their other officiating misdeeds today.

Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 30
Bowden 25
Alexander 25
Turner 20
Daniel 15
Fulkerson 10
Walker 5

Pretty much leaves Johnson, Pons, and Darrington with very few scraps to fight for. Especially if the light comes on for Fulkerson and he moves up to the 15-20 minute range.

Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 30
Bowden 25
Alexander 25
Turner 20
Daniel 15
Fulkerson 10
Walker 5

Pretty much leaves Johnson, Pons, and Darrington with very few scraps to fight for. Especially if the light comes on for Fulkerson and he moves up to the 15-20 minute range.

I think that the 4 point/combo guards get equal time for a while. Nobody is running away from the pack... they'll all have lots of experience when the post season tournaments roll around and teams with the best guards generally do the best.

Listen, if I don't get any credit for the 20+ shots of bourbon, and pulling this team thru, I'm done with these post game reports. MVP = OJJ

I'm done with you all! Y'all can't hang with OJJ

Admire your stamina, but gotta see your stat sheet first. Shots made during halftime don't really count toward "pulling the team thru" IMHO.

Besides, 20+ shots sounds impressive, but how many did you miss in the second half? Not being a hater... just need more stats before announcing at the awards banquet.

Merry Christmas Eve, OJJ! (...in case you sleep through it) :thud:

I was just having this conversation with my wife yesterday. Athletes are getting bigger and faster every year, but the officials don't seem to be able to keep up. They, either need to get a fourth official on the court, or maybe recruit some younger officials to keep pace. They, in general, seem to be missing some obvious calls I think, in part, because they can't keep up with the pace of the game.

I rarely ever blame officiating for anything but I agree and the most obvious game to make your point was at Ole Miss last year. I was there and the entire game it was so obvious from both sides that the officials just couldn’t keep up with the pace of play. It’s hard not only on the players but coaches as well to scheme effectively

1. Great win...I don’t care what WF’s numbers end up being, it’s a road win at an ACC school,...

7. I’m close to pulling the plug on Fulkerson, he’s not even showing glimpses and right now all he’s doing is getting us closer to the bonus in record time.

8. Tennessee is 9-2 and has officially exceeded any expectations set for them, so let’s look ahead and somewhat reset...the goal was to make the dance, barring a collapse that should happen, however the opening of the SEC schedule is brutal and I wouldn’t be surprised by a poor start. Our first 8 games before the Big12/SEC game against Iowa State we are underdogs in 5 of them according to Sagarin’s predictor so 3-5 wouldn’t be a complete shock through the first 8. To me it might sound crazy but I think 4-4 to start league play would be considered a success, our schedule is very front heavy...just something to keep in mind as people start abandoning ship when Tennessee loses a couple games.

#1 & 8. I believe these two go together. I think this team showed a lot of maturity and resilience (excuse the Butchism). While anything is possible, and I wouldn't be shocked at a losing record on the front end of the SEC schedule, I just don't feel like it is likely. We have played against the best, and haven't backed down.

It's Christmas Eve, and I don't want to fight about it. This is just my 2 cents worth. I appreciate all you bring to this board, BTO.

#7. I understand the argument, but I think Fulkerson is a lot like J. P. Prince. His mistakes are obvious to the whole world, and sometimes what he does good may not show up in statistics. I may be wrong, but by the time he is a Senior, I think he will be a force in the SEC - barring injuries, of course.

I've never thought of Prince and Fulkerson bring similar in any way, but that could be true. They were not/may not be making lots of individual stats, but they did/do other things that made/make the team better. Fulkerson is still less experienced than JP was by the time he arrived in Knoxville. He could develop into a similar contributor over the next couple of years. I don't expect to ever see Fulkerson play a single minute at the PG spot however... JP was more versatile.

this ain't the same Fulk I remember as before his injury...don't claim to know why...aliens, maybe...:)

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back