BTO’s Furman postgame report

SDs boy didn't make a push on him, either. But it's not like any other big school was after him. I'm glad the kid found himself a good home, but you know as well as I do how this board reacts to recruits with minimal offers.

I wondered about the timing with ButterBean. I haven't checked the recruiting timeline on 24/7. I assumed that he was already a Furman commit or even signee by the time that Donnie pulled his class out of nowhere.

If TN has to put the 11th man into the rotation in a month or so it will be interesting to see if it's Pons or Johnson. I'm thinking that Johnson's left ankle is a much bigger problem than has been discussed by Barnes, the media, and/or posters. I think that it's pretty clear that Pons isn't yet ready for the highest level of college basketball. Kent is maybe mainly facing a numbers issue. His height and ability to step out to the perimeter just isn't enough of an advantage relative to the gaps... especially with Walker ahead of him.

Kent & Johnson both “injured” and have played in less than 30% of games...

Kent & Johnson both “injured” and have played in less than 30% of games...

So if I was wrong in the Redshirt thread, it'll be no problem to fabricate some bogus medical documentation and get Kent's year back. I think that Johnson's elected redshirt disqualifies him for a medical hardship waiver though.

So if I was wrong in the Redshirt thread, it'll be no problem to fabricate some bogus medical documentation and get Kent's year back. I think that Johnson's elected redshirt disqualifies him for a medical hardship waiver though.

Correct on Kent.

On Johnson, I’m not sure that’s accurate, I know Bruin mentioned that and I trust his opinion on this but I haven’t found anything to support this.

Found this in regards to Johnson...

Can this get a player a sixth season of eligibility?
A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria. It could work for a player such as currently-redshirting Nathan Cottrell or KirVonte Benson, though, were they to suffer a second season-ending injury at some point in their careers.

So Johnson could apply for it, but it would seem unlikely it would be granted unless UT could provide some evidence that Johnson also had an injury last season.

Turner gets dogged a lot for his defense here, but he harasses and denies as well as any of our guards. And he rebounds like he’s 6’5.

His passing (and decision making) is the problem. Can bring instant offense off the bench, but he makes some head scratching decisions.

Correct on Kent.

On Johnson, I’m not sure that’s accurate, I know Bruin mentioned that and I trust his opinion on this but I haven’t found anything to support this.

I could be wrong, but I think I've read that the 5-year clock can't be extended when an elective redshirt year has been taken. It's possible to extend the clock to 6 years, but that might require 2 years of medical hardship.

Found this in regards to Johnson...

So Johnson could apply for it, but it would seem unlikely it would be granted unless UT could provide some evidence that Johnson also had an injury last season.

But... but all the program has to do is apply for medical redshirts and they're automatically granted. I read this in another thread.

I wondered about the timing with ButterBean. I haven't checked the recruiting timeline on 24/7. I assumed that he was already a Furman commit or even signee by the time that Donnie pulled his class out of nowhere.

The kid may have already signed, but the only offer I saw him get was Furman, and that goes back to the rest of my post.

We'll be a lot sharper against Wake on the road. They've played well away from TBA so far.

Nice observation. He was only the Player of the Year in the Southern Conference last year as a junior as selected by the coaches and the media.

Show of hands, who cares? Anyone? Anyone care? No? Nobody?

No shock you'd worship him though. Similar resumé to Brandon Lopez, and he was such an asset to our team.

No shock you'd worship him though. Similar resumé to Brandon Lopez, and he was such an asset to our team.

I love how what he posted doesn’t refute your post in any way.

He blew by everyone Tennessee put on him. He’s a very good player. No need to ridicule the young man

He blew by everyone Tennessee put on him. He’s a very good player. No need to ridicule the young man

Context... Jmo But Chris wasn’t ridiculing him, just using him as an example of a good college b-ball player in a mid major conference vs a good b-ball player in a major conference, and how their production levels can be skewed.

He also did a lot of damage in the 2nd half. So he could have fell below the radar after being off it for most the game.

Last edited:

As Lefty said, me pointing out that he wouldn't necessarily be the offensive centerpiece at a high-major SEC team doesn't remotely equate to ridiculing him.

VN Store

Back