BTO’s Furman postgame report

-I think the team, particularly Schofield and Williams got the message about rebounding.

-Jordan Bowden had a nice game beyond his scoring. He certainly hit some big shots, especially in the 1st half, but he also had 6 rebs, all offensive, 3 asst, and only 1 TO to go with his 21 points.

-17 assists on 23 made baskets. Prior to last night, Tennessee ranked 22nd nationally, and 2nd in the SEC in assts/gm at 18.2 per.

-We have to get better offense out of the guard position, particularly PG, and maybe this is what makes a guy like Anfernee Simons; a guy that can consistently create his own offense, so important on the recruiting front. Bone, Turner, Daniel, and Darrington were a combined 4-22, 2-9 from 3. They did have 8 assists to only 2 TOs, which helped offset their poor shooting, but against a better team, that ineptitude would have been exposed. Despite those poor numbers, we are still, statistically, the 3rd best 3-pt shooting team in the SEC.

-We, once again, held our opponent to below 40% shooting, however so slight (39.7%). We are 8-0 when we do that, 0-2 when we don't. That tells me we don't want to get into too many games played in the mid-upper 80s and 90s. Against teams like Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, and LSU, it will be important for us to dictate tempo and not fall into the trap of getting into a track meet and give up a lot of easy baskets in transition. Those teams are all decent 3-pt shooting teams, but I'd take my chances giving up shots from 22 feet vs dunks in transition.

Your 1. sums the game up well. We lose this game last year.
2. I agree he can bring a lot, but it’s within the flow of the offense. He is not a manufacturer on any kind of regular basis.
3. Schofield is lacking confidence. He got a bucket late that I hope helps. But let’s face it, he’s always been good for a huge brick or air ball per game. He’s just not a good shooter. But he can be a clutch scorer. He just needs to see more go through.
4. Grants worst game in a while. Imo Guards, other than Bowden, sucked for the most part and played a team that don’t put their opponents on the free throw line.
5. Just keep on keeping. These guys fight like heck. And the fight doesn’t depend on the level of competition. The fight on a hand full of possessions tonight is what won the game.

Curious as to why you believe the bolded?

He had a season high in shooting %, only committed two fouls, and got back to doing work on the boards. If anything, I'd argue he followed up his worst game of the season (UNC) with a pretty nice bounce back effort, and probably should have gotten more opportunities offensively.

- I thought our guard play was particularly weak

- too many important guys disappeared last night

- I see a lot of good with Fulk and am not sure that he should not be starting

- I get it that this was a hangover game, but our lack of ability to score is very concerning. This lack of scoring was basically an extension of the second half from the NC game.

- could have easily lost this game, but it will look the same as any W at he end of the season

How did they let Devin Sibley get out of Knoxville? The kid is a "BALLER".
Don't say it was grades because Furman is no academic slouch. His YouTube video said he averaged 28.5 ppg at Karns, and his play made Bowden up his game for fear of losing bragging rights.

Don't say it was grades because Furman is no academic slouch. His YouTube video said he averaged 28.5 ppg at Karns, and his play made Bowden up his game for fear of losing bragging rights.

Sibley wouldn't be the offensive focus at Tennessee like he is at Furman. Big fish/small pond. He looks like a stud at Furman because he has to be.

Curious as to why you believe the bolded?

He had a season high in shooting %, only committed two fouls, and got back to doing work on the boards. If anything, I'd argue he followed up his worst game of the season (UNC) with a pretty nice bounce back effort, and probably should have gotten more opportunities offensively.

Felt like he had several bunnies(for him usually) that he missed. He had a few really poor turn overs and a couple of defensive lapes where he just lost track of his guy.

His bad is still pretty good, so he wasn't terrible by any stretch.

Here is an idea for the Wake Forest game......... Put Fulkerson in place of Schofield and bring Admiral in as the 6th man...... UT is bigger to start the game and Fulky brings more energy.

Felt like he had several bunnies(for him usually) that he missed. He had a few really poor turn overs and a couple of defensive lapes where he just lost track of his guy.

His bad is still pretty good, so he wasn't terrible by any stretch.

Okay. I disagree...thought he played better last night than he did vs UNC, but I can see your perspective.

Seems like last year KA started almost every game and only played up to about 10 total minutes per. It's weird. Maybe since he's still fairly new to organized basketball he's not proficient when there are game plan adjustments made in-game. Maybe he is being prepared for several days with a specific plan in mind and if it gets tossed aside then he's more of a liability.

Do you think Coach Barnes is trying to send Kyle a message that his expectation is to give 100% effort at all times on the court? It seems at times he is very lackadasical on the defensive rotations. He is one of those players that can be very frustrating. He shows so much potential.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think Coach Barnes is trying to send Kyle a message that his expectation is to give 100% effort at all times on the court? It seems at times he is very lackadasical on the defensive rotations. He is one of those players that can be very frustrating. He shows so much potential.

I think that's a very good possibility.

Here is an idea for the Wake Forest game......... Put Fulkerson in place of Schofield and bring Admiral in as the 6th man...... UT is bigger to start the game and Fulky brings more energy.
13 boards says the Admiral played with a lot of energy.
A little less energy and more concentration would help him more than coming off the bench.

Perhaps Barnes thought that Alexander would be a liability against a smaller, quicker lineup?

Also, Furman had a great plan defensively… Clog the lane, limit penetration and interior passing, and make us settle for perimeter shots. We had no answer, except for Bowden.

Too soon from the last one. Its like an Solar eclipse....only once every 2-4 years and you gotta be wearing special glasses. :):)

I don't even think what you said was all that bad, I was there, lower energy than I expected for probably 75% of the game.

The topic of whether or not fans should stand at TBA is low key among the most controversial topics in the BBall forum every season.

I don't even think what you said was all that bad, I was there, lower energy than I expected for probably 75% of the game.

The topic of whether or not fans should stand at TBA is low key among the most controversial topics in the BBall forum every season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKqLl_ZEEY[/youtube]

We could have won easily if we make foul shots. This is a team that can generate fouls from opponents, but that doesn't help if we continue to miss them. It also makes it easier to close out games with leads if we can only make the shots.

Sibley wouldn't be the offensive focus at Tennessee like he is at Furman. Big fish/small pond. He looks like a stud at Furman because he has to be.
Nice observation. He was only the Player of the Year in the Southern Conference last year as a junior as selected by the coaches and the media.

"They" is Cuonzo Martin. He was a pretty wimpy recruiter while at TN.

It might look like, and probably would be, a demotion for AS. I don't think that's warranted... especially in light of Admiral playing through an injury.

Late in the game, the guys need to calm down. They need to relax and play smart. We have had to many turnovers the last two games at the end of the game. I'm hoping Fulkerson can get back to doing what he did last year. He has looked out of sync. I know he is still getting over his injury mentally, but we need him or Walker to provide more when they come off the bench.

That might be one of the problems of having a young and/or inexperienced roster. They have to really turn up the defensive effort late in the game, but then flip a switch on offense and play composed. It's easier when they're amped up to attack on offense after an intense defensive effort... but instead they're often required to slow it down and be methodical. It might be a tough skill to develop.

Could be. But on the other hand I heard KA being self-critical in an interview. It might not be so much a message being sent as it's just that Kyle isn't quite ready to contribute more heavily. Maybe other coaches are picking up on Kyle's weaknesses and exploit them therefore Barnes has no choice but to sit him down. It's perplexing.

Perhaps Barnes thought that Alexander would be a liability against a smaller, quicker lineup?

Also, Furman had a great plan defensively… Clog the lane, limit penetration and interior passing, and make us settle for perimeter shots. We had no answer, except for Bowden.

That's a real good point. Furman played with 4 guards at times. TN wouldn't match up at all with Williams, Alexander, AND Schofield all on the floor together. Williams sure isn't going to sit and Schofield is playing better in the paint right now.

What do you think about Pons progressing enough to benefit the team this season? He looks taller than his height and looks ready to jump out of the gym someday. I think Barnes must balance his aggressiveness with playing within his capabilities at this stage and will probably bring him on slower than we might have hoped.

"They" is Cuonzo Martin. He was a pretty wimpy recruiter while at TN.

SDs boy didn't make a push on him, either. But it's not like any other big school was after him. I'm glad the kid found himself a good home, but you know as well as I do how this board reacts to recruits with minimal offers.

Last edited:
What do you think about Pons progressing enough to benefit the team this season? He looks taller than his height and looks ready to jump out of the gym someday. I think Barnes must balance his aggressiveness with playing within his capabilities at this stage and will probably bring him on slower than we might have hoped.

If TN has to put the 11th man into the rotation in a month or so it will be interesting to see if it's Pons or Johnson. I'm thinking that Johnson's left ankle is a much bigger problem than has been discussed by Barnes, the media, and/or posters. I think that it's pretty clear that Pons isn't yet ready for the highest level of college basketball. Kent is maybe mainly facing a numbers issue. His height and ability to step out to the perimeter just isn't enough of an advantage relative to the gaps... especially with Walker ahead of him.

VN Store

Back