Bristol already behind schedule (updates added)

I can't wait to start watching the grass grow on the webcam.. Thought about getting a couple cases of beer for this event.. Redbull might be more proper..

I can't wait to start watching the grass grow on the webcam.. Thought about getting a couple cases of beer for this event.. Redbull might be more proper..

Not sure about beer or redbull but if you want to watch that grass grow, you have to take the last grass that you watched grow and smoke it.

Smoke enough of it and you can watch the pavement grow!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think you understand. AstroTurf takes a lot longer to take root, even after all the seed is sewn. I don't care how much they water it. Artificial turf that hasn't taken deep root will be torn to shreds on game day.

This is a disaster. Hart needs to step down!
Wait - AstroTurf?!? - advantage Dobbs! :)

Reactions: 1 person
During the pre-race talks they were showing Colossus. I believe they said it was 140 feet above the track. Don't see any chance of a kicker hitting that.

Whats gon be the rule when the punts end up on track during the race... will there be a caution? I'll hang up and listen.

Never said they were trying to grow a field, I said I was concerned that a field that has never had a major football game on it would be ready in a matter of days. I would venture to guess it has never even held a practice on it. You never know how turf will hold up that has never been played on. I also stated that I hoped it was going to be played on turf not grass. I was concerned about players getting hurt. I could care less what the surface is as long as it is ready for play.

I am concerned too, can you help me with how many minor football games make a major? :hi:

Had no idea that ETSU was playing there on the 17th. Pretty cool Bristol let them do that so the field could be used twice. Im sure there will be a stark difference in attendance :)

The attendees for the ETSU game will be allowed to park on the racetrack with car headed towards the field it will be similar to a drive-in movie.:rock:

It was cloudy at Bristol today so they had to undo all the work they did yesterday and are just going to give up on the game.

No refunds. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
The attendees for the ETSU game will be allowed to park on the racetrack with car headed towards the field it will be similar to a drive-in movie.:rock:

So what your saying is there will be 12 cars there and one really big echo

So were all worried about the turf at Bristol...I don't remember many golf course managers coming out to Neyland last year for turf tips.

Just some avid 4 wheelers looking for an alternate to the Rubicon trail.

So no worries on drainage.

"The speedway’s infield is normally slightly concave, allowing water to drain to the middle," Caldwell said. A football field must drain to the edges.
“So it kind of has that crest in the middle,” Caldwell said. “We have to raise the middle of it to get it that high so it will drain on the edge.”"

Recent Twitter pic shows shock pad going down, shows a 2x4 as the edge of gravel bed. Previous article said field would be raised 3.5 feet to account for the concave but it seems more like 3.5"

Recent Twitter pic shows shock pad going down, shows a 2x4 as the edge of gravel bed. Previous article said field would be raised 3.5 feet to account for the concave but it seems more like 3.5"

Already explained elsewhere, but it's like this:

Bristol%20field%20fill.png

The 3.5 foot lift is in the very center of the field. Out at the edges, it's practically nothing, because the up-sloping infield floor and the down-sloping football field cover meet.

The middle is the part being raised, not the edge.

Haha: simulpost

its all in perspective. notice how much bigger the jumbotron looks now that that little football field is in place

and the closer you get, the bigger it becomes

VN Store

Back