Bring Back the Battle at Bristol

No. Stop the gimmicks. Get back to winning football games. You never see the top winning programs doing this silly stuff. Just focus on winning football games.
Then explain why there’s been a “marquee matchup” opener within the last decade featuring Alabama vs whoever wants their shot at beating them? I love the Bristol game personally.

Saw the other day where a scientist and doctor said with all the mutations and different strains that are happening now that this might last till 2025 and the vaccines will be useless against it.

Great, you found a nutbat on the internet. I'm not going to do this wild conspiracy stuff here. But if the vaccines are useless (which they are actually highly effective by every scientific standard) then the virus will circulate widely FOREVER.

Reactions: BigAl
What about the new mutations? And what about the ones that have died after getting the vaccine? You can believe what they tell you if you want but it usually takes several several years to make a credible vaccine. This thing was rushed and pushed out there.

I'll go put an orange T on my tin foil hat while I'm at it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sonofUT62 and BigAl
A home and away series with VT would be great! Squinting at a video screen from 1/4 mile away with 150,000 other people - not so much. Glad I went, but not in a hurry to repeat.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Great, you found a nutbat on the internet. I'm not going to do this wild conspiracy stuff here. But if the vaccines are useless (which they are actually highly effective by every scientific standard) then the virus will circulate widely FOREVER.
. It’s about the more deadlier strains and mutations it’s pretty clear that China modified and tweaked this virus just as soon as the vaccines were ready to roll out to the world or they silently let a new virus out.

The mutations in Britain and South Africa now can get around and outsmart the vaccines and these strains are 30 percent more deadlier they say. Sadly I don’t see fans in the stands again for the 2021 season.

That's not how vaccines and viruses work. Please stop spreading lies and stop believing stupid stuff. "more deadlier" lol

Reactions: BigAl
. It’s about the more deadlier strains and mutations it’s pretty clear that China modified and tweaked this virus just as soon as the vaccines were ready to roll out to the world or they silently let a new virus out.

You're hopeless. "more deadlier" lol You're killing me.

Dan won't likely entertain circus-like events any time soon. It is just not a great direction for brand establishment, or re-establishment in this case.

Seems like it’s great for branding. Ton of publicity and exposure for your players and program.

A home and away series with VT would be great! Squinting at a video screen from 1/4 mile away with 150,000 other people - not so much. Glad I went, but not in a hurry to repeat.
Same here. The video screen with the lack of replay was terrible and the traffic was horrendous. Remember thinking glad I was apart of it but no way am I coming back to this if they have it again.

Last edited:
Seems like it’s great for branding. Ton of publicity and exposure for your players and program.
Can be, but it matters what cycle of your brand management you currently reside within. An event like that has to be properly timed to be effective. Fastening fans' attention to past traditions that anchor everyone to good memories is more important now than furthering new and still experimental traditions.

The Bristol experience was cool. I was lucky to be closer to the field so that might have helped my opinion. I would definitely do it again.

That said, I'm not sure I'm a fan of doing it every year. I kind of like the idea proposed of doing it every 4 or 5 years.
I also kind of like doing two games with four teams from an event standpoint.

I'd go back to camp out, but wouldn't attend the game. We had a great time with Vol and Hokie fans, but it was horrible to watch inside the track sitting on the 45, 30 rows up. Couldn't imagine what it was like in bad seats.

The Tennessee administration should make it a priority to not let the Battle at Bristol be a one time event.

No way. No more slogans and gimmicks, no more Sunday games or racetrack games. Tennessee Football belongs in Neyland Stadium on Saturdays.

Reactions: UTKalum23
I still think it's pretty cool that the University of Tennessee (and Virginia Tech) holds a Guinness World Record for that game.

It was great to say you were there but I would not go again. Logistics were a nightmare, site lines for viewing game were terrible ( most people were just watching the screen) and we will be giving up a home game to have a game there.
Same here. Other than winning the game and the birth of “WGWTFA”, the best part of that game was tailgating all day long from 7:00 to kickoff. Also, to say logistics was a nightmare is an understatement. We didn’t get to leave our parking spot until 2:30 AM. It was atrocious.

I'll go put an orange T on my tin foil hat while I'm at it. :rolleyes:
I don’t really believe in conspiracy theories. I just look at what history has shown us. If you really want to believe they made a credible vaccine in less than a year be my guest. Usually it takes 5-10 years, sometimes longer. They still don’t know enough about this thing to do anything about it. That’s why we’re at where we’re at. Nobody really knows enough about it and that’s just how it is unfortunately. If they did, doctors would know how to treat it instead of letting all these patients in hospitals helplessly pass away.

The pandemic will be irrelevant in 2023 and forward. It may affect the 2022 football season somewhat but there should be plenty of vaccinated people itching to fill football stadiums.
Don't know...The chinese could release another virus anytime...

I Dont think Humpy Wheeler is going to put out all that money to transform BMS every year with out a major cash gaurantee from someone. He got that on the one time deal from the networks. It takes a lot of money and work to build a feild and then take down again. Not going to happen. Besides there is not a good seat in the house for football. Fans will not put out the bucks for crappy seats very many times no matter who is playing.

Could you see? Most people had to watch the scoreboards

Watched the jumbotron in the middle of field. I mean it was quite the experience and I can say I was there. But not being able to see much, the lines for everything and the hours it took to get out of there, omg!

With the way things are right now we would have to schedule William & Mary to have a chance to look good. We should probably be intelligent and hold off for a little.

VN Store

Back