Brick by Brick

I can tell you one reason it happened. Lane Kiffin bailed out on us at a really late date after all available name head coaches had been hired and Dools got hired because he was Vince’s son. Hindsight would tell you we would have been better off hiring a top assistant coach than Dooley but it was a panic hire and a bad mistake. I have tried my best to forget about Shower Etiquette and Sgt. Carter, and Josh Heupel is certainly helping that cause.
This is why I can never forgive Kiffin. He lit the dumpster fire. It’s not his fault it wasn’t put out sooner, but he lit it.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
I can tell you one reason it happened. Lane Kiffin bailed out on us at a really late date after all available name head coaches had been hired and Dools got hired because he was Vince’s son. Hindsight would tell you we would have been better off hiring a top assistant coach than Dooley but it was a panic hire and a bad mistake. I have tried my best to forget about Shower Etiquette and Sgt. Carter, and Josh Heupel is certainly helping that cause.

Correct. It seemed that Tennessee was so desperate to get a coach that they didn't think things through. Let's say Kiffin bails on the team at season's end following the Kentucky game does Tennessee still hire Dooley? Probably not.

I think it would have been better to have promoted someone that didn't leave with Kiffin such as Chaney to Interim coach for 2010 and see what happens. Considering that the recruiting class had already been blown there was little to lose there. If Chaney works out in 2010 then you can bump him up to head coach. If he doesn't then you have plenty of time to select the right coach.

VN Store

Back