Boycott Nike For the Lady Vols

Well, I wasn't planning on buying any of that garbage made by Nike anyway so I guess I'm happy to help your cause.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm in. Don't purchase Nike anyway but love the Lady Vols accomplishments and traditions. Great ambassadors to the sport and to the university.

Reactions: 6 people
If you want to do away with the separate athletic departments that is fine.......just leave the Lady Vols brand for all of the women who have built it to what it is..........a darn fine tradition........Bring back the Lady Vols.........for all womens sports.........

Reactions: 6 people
Gee, i would have thought this would have support over here in the Lady Vol forum.. Guess I was wrong. Thanks anyway guys & gals.
Ignore them, Brianchevy. Some of them are just trolling. May even be UT "fans" in other areas, but for some reason there are those who have never liked the Lady Vols - in any sport. They seem to think women can't be successful without infringing on the men. At high schools I've actually heard, "they need to get the girls off the field/court so the boys have more practice time". Or they may just be jealous because they will never be the athlete these Ladys are and can't accept that fact. Or they may just be trolls and nothing more (see study re trolls are closet sadists). Whatever their problem is I appreciate your stand and speaking for the Ladys. Anyone currently employed or playing at UT can not speak freely, so people like you and the many ex players who have spoken out are important.

Reactions: 2 people
OP works for Adidas imo....

nope. I work for a software company in California and have no affiliation with any business with the University. I was a practice team player for the Lady Vols 89-91 and yeah, they did pretty well during that time.

I have spoken with several lady vols (current and alumni), basketball and other sports and they are 100% united behind wanting to keep the brand...

Thank you for your support in not buying Nike.

There is a champion for every cause under the sun.

....good luck with that.

I'm with you 2/3 of the way! I also believe this is an incremental change, and Lady Vols basketball will in time be kicked to the curb along with the rest of the UT Lady Vols.

And I never buy Nike products either. I am open to buying Nike Lady Vols gear.

I veer away from you on the political correctness thing. I don't think the Lady Vols should be called that because they're ladies, but because that's their name and that's what everyone knows them by. Over time, that name has acquired a legacy to be proud of, and it's a name that our opponents know and react to (Fear us, haw!). I don't get the motivation for dropping all of that, that was so hard fought for and earned. The Lady Vols were always Vols, but they had their own great name that made them special. They earned the recognition and they've done nothing to have it stripped.

Why would the team and all lady sports be kicked to the curb? Despite Lady Vols bball barely breaking even or perhaps losing money, they're likely one of the 3 most "profitable", if not the most "profitable" women's teams in the country. If Miss State is keeping women's basketball around then UT is not dropping it.

Why would the team and all lady sports be kicked to the curb? Despite Lady Vols bball barely breaking even or perhaps losing money, they're likely one of the 3 most "profitable", if not the most "profitable" women's teams in the country. If Miss State is keeping women's basketball around then UT is not dropping it.

I'm not suggesting the teams are being kicked to the curb. I'm talking about their names being taken away. In time, the Lady Vols basketball team will also lose their name. Can you follow along with that now?

Reactions: 1 person
Yall are getting mad at the wrong person how about you email Nike....Hart can't do anything he has a contract and his hands are tied...I will support UT athletics Male/Female no matter what lady vols no lady vols...Why because I love UT Sports period

LMAO at activists!!!

"Treat us as equals by gawd!!!"

"Ok. You're the Tennessee Volunteers, just like us now. We're equal."

"You hate us by gawd!!! Give us back our inequality!!!"

Yall are getting mad at the wrong person how about you email Nike....Hart can't do anything he has a contract and his hands are tied...I will support UT athletics Male/Female no matter what lady vols no lady vols...Why because I love UT Sports period

how is that ? couldn't he have just said no thanks,we are the Lady Vols ? or is it just what Nike wants ? so Hart and company just say yes sir to Nike :)

The decision had nothing to do with Nike. The decision to do this was made over 3 years ago. If Hart's around long enough, there will be no Lady Vols of any kind. He lied about changing the name before, so he will lie about changing the BB name also.

The decision had nothing to do with Nike. The decision to do this was made over 3 years ago. If Hart's around long enough, there will be no Lady Vols of any kind. He lied about changing the name before, so he will lie about changing the BB name also.

You understand. :acute:

Oh, ok - I got snippy because I had you figured for a troll. I withdraw the snippiness.
Understandable, Volly. We've had our fair share of trolls come out of their holes on this issue, but I've read BowlingGreen's posts in the football forum and he's not a troll. He's probably just new to this forum and has not followed all of the previous discussions.
And, Bowling, if you read this, Volly has had to put up with some real jerks and is willing to defend her beloved Ladys. Hope you come back and get to know more of our UT athletics. Men, women, revenue, non-revenue; we all are Vols, but that doesn't keep us from loving and keeping our Lady Vols name for ALL of our women athletes.

Understandable, Volly. We've had our fair share of trolls come out of their holes on this issue, but I've read BowlingGreen's posts in the football forum and he's not a troll. He's probably just new to this forum and has not followed all of the previous discussions.
And, Bowling, if you read this, Volly has had to put up with some real jerks and is willing to defend her beloved Ladys. Hope you come back and get to know more of our UT athletics. Men, women, revenue, non-revenue; we all are Vols, but that doesn't keep us from loving and keeping our Lady Vols name for ALL of our women athletes.

Smallvol, thank you for having my back and also BowlingGreen's. I guess I should have looked up BowlingGreen's posts. I was surprised by someone not knowing the story already and assumed I was being provoked. Bottom line is, I don't have a big problem with people who honestly hold different opinions or concerns, and I don't think I have any special right to tell people how to think or how to feel. I just enjoy snarking at trolls.

Why can't we all just be "Tennessee Volunteers"? If there MUST be a "Lady Vol"... they need to incorporate the Power T! Their own logo, totally different from the University make ZERO sense. It never has, IMO.

It makes perfect sense.

The Lady Vols logo in NO WAY takes away from the fact they are Tennessee. It only gives our ladies a well earned distinction.

I am a Tennessee fan through and through. That means I am proud of, and cheer for, every sport at Tennessee. The men have made us proud, but the women have also made us just as proud. They were their Orange & White with just as much pride as the men, and they have a tremendous following across America and around the world.

Dave Hart and the powers at UT would do very well to leave our Lady Vols alone. They built a very, very strong brand long before he arrived, and we Vol fans do not take to anyone coming in and trying to destroy something we are so very proud of.

Go Vols and Go Lady Vols!!!!!

Reactions: 5 people

I've been to my fair share of Lady Vols games over the years. Our family and friends had a box in Diddle Arena when UT came to BG for the first round in 2009. Never have i left any sporting event more in shock and pissed than I did after witnessing a 20pt beatdown at the hands of Ball State. We traveled to L'ville last year and witnessed the beatdown to Maryland. If they're anywhere close we're there.

Smallvol, thank you for having my back and also BowlingGreen's. I guess I should have looked up BowlingGreen's posts. I was surprised by someone not knowing the story already and assumed I was being provoked. Bottom line is, I don't have a big problem with people who honestly hold different opinions or concerns, and I don't think I have any special right to tell people how to think or how to feel. I just enjoy snarking at trolls.

I was aware of the issue already but your post was vague and led me to the conclusion I came to. When you said kick "Lady Vols" to the curb, I didn't take that to mean the name.

With that said this issue doesn't bother me either way. We've been known as Lady Vols so from a communication standpoint it makes sense to leave it and it's easier to distinguish between men's and women's. But our "statehood" is not known as Volunteers and Lady Volunteers, we're Tennessee Volunteers from the Volunteer state, so from that standpoint I'm not opposed to everyone sharing a common moniker. Boycotting by refraining from merchandise purchases seems counterintuitive and petty, IMO.

VN Store

Back