bowl win vs bowl loss

Winning season vs. 4th losing season in a row. Hmmm.......I'm torn

Fade.. you said the exact words... there they are in black and white. 4(four) losing seasons in a row... That is what we are trying to get out of.... No reason to be torn. That's the bottom line.:thumbsup:

i've seen several comments that losing the bowl game doesn't really matter. That its justextra practice for the team . On the flip side, i've seen the opinion that a win will help recruiting, and momentum going into next year. I say winning is better than losing for those two reasons. What's your opinion?

Allen-Iverson_Practice.png

Maybe we all need to step back and think this out! Let me explain. Is winning really that important? Isn't everybody a winner? Are not we all equal? Losing could negatively impact the psychological makeup of players on the losing team! Heck, losing this football game could lead to low self esteem and cause severe depression among players and coaches.

Solution - Each side takes one turn on offense. The other side allows a touchdown and extra point (we have to make sure we take care of the kickers). Once the game is tied both teams meet in the middle of the field and have hugs and a big party. Then the opposing team carry the coach of the other team off of the field in celebration of a VICTORY! Make sure everybody receives a trophy saying they are CHAMPIONS!

Heck this concept may work in other areas as well. Wait a minute ... :)

I swear, you must be in charge of our current school system with perfect government logic like that.

Depends on how we win. Realistically, Dobbs and the offense have taken a step back each game since USC. Especially the passing game. There were a few times in the Vandy game, I was wondering if Butch would sit Dobbs for one series just to let Dobbs see what was going on out there. Even if it was three hand offs from Peterman. I hope we win 45-0, but you never know. I think Dobbs needs to show out if he wants to lock up the QB race for next year. Anther Vandy game showing, it's a wide open race and a lot of people will be upset because Peterman along with the freshmen will be right in the thick of it.

if we win the bowl game, it would be our first winning season since Kiffin.
yes, getting to the bowl game is a big deal, but winning would be a bigger deal.

Depends on how we win. Realistically, Dobbs and the offense have taken a step back each game since USC. Especially the passing game. There were a few times in the Vandy game, I was wondering if Butch would sit Dobbs for one series just to let Dobbs see what was going on out there. Even if it was three hand offs from Peterman. I hope we win 45-0, but you never know. I think Dobbs needs to show out if he wants to lock up the QB race for next year. Anther Vandy game showing, it's a wide open race and a lot of people will be upset because Peterman along with the freshmen will be right in the thick of it.

A win is a win. Doesn't matter if it's by 1 point or 20. Having a winning record for the first time since 2009 is all that matters.

That said, I feel like if we go out and lose, the vast majority of VN posters will immediately pretend it didn't matter and was essentially an exhibition game. Whereas if we win, we'll probably be inundated with threads from the same folks proclaiming that Butch and Bajakian have proven their offense will work against top opponents and calling out all detractors, just like after the South Carolina game.

Attachments

• Bingo.jpg
    Bingo.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
A win is better than a loss. Who cares if it has anything to do with next season, it brings momentum into the off season and spring. The off season and spring 100% helps with the next season. So regardless of any stats or whatever jimmy hymen is saying, it plays a factor.

It probably isn't a big deal, but psychologically, 7-6 feels a lot better than 6-7 heading into the offseason and Signing Day.

So yes, my expert analysis is that it is better to win than to lose. :crazy:

Helps recruiting! Win baby win! :rock:

"If my teams win, my press will be good. If we lose, the press can't help me anyhow." - General Robert Neyland

general-neyland.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I see what you're saying but there is very little difference between 6-7 and 7-6 other than claiming a winning season. If UT is teetering on a winning season over the next few years recruiting is going to suffer no matter what. 7-6 seasons aren't going to cut it from here on out.

If UT loses this game but goes 9-4 next year and 10-3 in 2016 no one will give this game a 2nd thought.

Prolly right, unless we get hammered. Obviously nobody wants that. Effects of winning bowls like this and losing are perhaps overblown somewhat. But getting blown out will definitely leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth, possibly even some potential recruiting targets. Just win and all is right! GBO!

I sure would prefer to get a win, lol.

Winning record. Happy ending to the season. Momentum for recruiting. Don't lose any further ground in the historical standings.

This team shouldn't even be going bowling with a 6-6 record. These meaningless bowls generate a little revenue for the schools,but also increases the chance of players getting hurt. The players would probably rather stay home enjoying the holiday instead of playing in some ****kicker bowl.

This team shouldn't even be going bowling with a 6-6 record. These meaningless bowls generate a little revenue for the schools,but also increases the chance of players getting hurt. The players would probably rather stay home enjoying the holiday instead of playing in some ****kicker bowl.

lulz...atta boy

But think of how recruits' jaws will drop walking through Anderson and see that sweet Taxslayer.com Bowl trophy? You can't put a price on that kind of thing.

If UT was playing in Memphis or B'ham I'd say you're 100% correct. At least going to Jax seems like a reward for the team.

Since they're going to a game in FL, they might as well win it.

Hi grandpa!

I've seen several comments that losing the bowl game doesn't really matter. That its justextra practice for the team . On the flip side, I've seen the opinion that a win will help recruiting, and momentum going into next year. I say winning is better than losing for those two reasons. What's your opinion?
It's considerable better if we win, but a loss won't really move the needle in terms of perception, just getting there with our schedule has drawn a lot of respect.

Obviously you haven't seen this teams reaction when they were told where they were going. But good job on supporting these young men. You sound like a true vols fan!

VN Store

Back