bowl win vs bowl loss

How can you be winners if you lose? If winning doesn't matter then why keep score?

Last edited:
I say we nominate an executive winner for the day, and then rotate people that haven't won to winner in waiting. The word lose turns into winner like. So, the question is whether you want us to be a winner or winner like. I like winner.

Reactions: 1 person
Winning breaks a streak of losing seasons, so announcers can stop brining that statistic up during our games. That'll be nice for recruiting...

I wont say its a must, but we need to WIN this one badly, because if we are going to compete for the EAST in 15, if we really are on our way back we will win the game, if we lose its like well we are not as far along as we thought, looking at IOWA they are a middle of the pack team in the little 10, I think we will win like 37-17, because we are coming to the top of the SEC.

Winning breaks a streak of losing seasons, so announcers can stop brining that statistic up during our games. That'll be nice for recruiting...

How so? Do you see any recruits sitting on the fence based on the outcome of the Taxslayer Bowl?

MOST BOWL VICTORIES OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAMS:

(1) O'Bama = 34 (2) USC = 32 (3) Okla homo = 28 (4) Texas = 27 (5) Tennessee = 25 FSU = 25 Nebraska = 25 (6) Ole Piss = 23 LSU = 23 (7) The Barn = 22

Should we lose this game, we will still have 25 wins. Yet a win by FSU and/or Nebraska would raise them to 26 wins doe 5th place but lower us to 6th place.

Just saying!!!!!!!!!!! The goal is to go forward NOT backwards. Need this win.

That's... not how rankings work. Ole Miss and LSU are tied for 8th, not 6th. Auburn is 10th.

And that would lower us to 7th, not 6th.

Anybody who doesn't think winning matters is probably one of those that thinks everybody should get a trophy just for showing up! Of course it matters and it especially matters in this game because it's the difference in a winning season and a losing season!

I've seen several comments that losing the bowl game doesn't really matter. That its justextra practice for the team . On the flip side, I've seen the opinion that a win will help recruiting, and momentum going into next year. I say winning is better than losing for those two reasons. What's your opinion?

it's pretty simple, it's better to be a winner than a loser

How so? Do you see any recruits sitting on the fence based on the outcome of the Taxslayer Bowl?

Did you even read what I said, or are you just here to be a sarcastic jerk? The fact that announcers constantly talk about our streak of losing seasons definitely sticks in a kid's mind when he decides to tune in and watch us play. Lose, and we'll be 6-7, the streak continues. Win, and the streak dies. They won't be able to talk about a current active streak of sub .500 seasons anymore. It's not the game itself, but the prospect of a winning/losing season. It certainly won't hurt recruiting.

Did you even read what I said, or are you just here to be a sarcastic jerk? The fact that announcers constantly talk about our streak of losing seasons definitely sticks in a kid's mind when he decides to tune in and watch us play. Lose, and we'll be 6-7, the streak continues. Win, and the streak dies. They won't be able to talk about a current active streak of sub .500 seasons anymore. It's not the game itself, but the prospect of a winning/losing season. It certainly won't hurt recruiting.

Not being a sarcastic jerk, but if any of what you wrote were true, then explain last year's class and the class he's putting together for this year!

If UT loses this game it will have very little, if any, effect on the incoming recruiting class.

Do you actually recall what announcers say during the games?

herm-edwards.jpg

I wont say its a must, but we need to WIN this one badly, because if we are going to compete for the EAST in 15, if we really are on our way back we will win the game, if we lose its like well we are not as far along as we thought, looking at IOWA they are a middle of the pack team in the little 10, I think we will win like 37-17, because we are coming to the top of the SEC.

Hate to break it to you bro, but we're a middle of the pack SEC team. When your marquee win of the season is an overtime win over USC, you can't really sit here and claim that you're ready to truck guys.

I've seen several comments that losing the bowl game doesn't really matter. That its justextra practice for the team . On the flip side, I've seen the opinion that a win will help recruiting, and momentum going into next year. I say winning is better than losing for those two reasons. What's your opinion?

I'm listening to the Sports Animal and Jimmy Hyams wrote an article looking at this topic. The stats prove that it really has no bearing on the next season. In the last 30 years there have been only 4 instances where a bowl win led to a better season the following year. 86-87, 92-93, 94-95, and 96-97. There are several instances where UT was worse the season following a bowl win. Most recently 07-08 (no bowl). You also have 04-05 (no bowl), 01-02, 98-99 (understandable), 95-96, 89-90 (similar), 87-88 (started 0-6), 85-86.

However, I think this team is a little different from any of the above teams with the # of FR & SO's on this team.

Last edited:
I say we nominate an executive winner for the day, and then rotate people that haven't won to winner in waiting. The word lose turns into winner like. So, the question is whether you want us to be a winner or winner like. I like winner.

will keep the vampires at bay.

Not being a sarcastic jerk, but if any of what you wrote were true, then explain last year's class and the class he's putting together for this year!

If UT loses this game it will have very little, if any, effect on the incoming recruiting class.

Do you actually recall what announcers say during the games?

I do enough to know that they constantly talk about the 4 straight losing seasons. Butch can sell kids on the future now. He wasn't around for the first 3 of those losing seasons. If the streak continues this year, and, heaven forbid, into next season, it's going to be a tough sell. I'm not sure he has enough buzz words or cliches to keep the kids interested. While I agree that no one game has much bearing on recruiting, this one game is not only a bowl, but also the game that puts us over the hump. They can stop saying that we haven't won a bowl game since the 07 season....that we haven't had a winning record since 09. Butch can claim full credit for all of that, and have even better selling points. Do you really not see that?

EDIT: I'm not talking about the current class. I think they're pretty much locked in for the most part. I'm talking about the down the road effect ie 2016, 2017.

Last edited:
I do enough to know that they constantly talk about the 4 straight losing seasons. Butch can sell kids on the future now. He wasn't around for the first 3 of those losing seasons. If the streak continues this year, and, heaven forbid, into next season, it's going to be a tough sell. I'm not sure he has enough buzz words or cliches to keep the kids interested. While I agree that no one game has much bearing on recruiting, this one game is not only a bowl, but also the game that puts us over the hump. They can stop saying that we haven't won a bowl game since the 07 season....that we haven't had a winning record since 09. Butch can claim full credit for all of that, and have even better selling points. Do you really not see that?

EDIT: I'm not talking about the current class. I think they're pretty much locked in for the most part. I'm talking about the down the road effect ie 2016, 2017.

I see what you're saying but there is very little difference between 6-7 and 7-6 other than claiming a winning season. If UT is teetering on a winning season over the next few years recruiting is going to suffer no matter what. 7-6 seasons aren't going to cut it from here on out.

If UT loses this game but goes 9-4 next year and 10-3 in 2016 no one will give this game a 2nd thought.

I see what you're saying but there is very little difference between 6-7 and 7-6 other than claiming a winning season. If UT is teetering on a winning season over the next few years recruiting is going to suffer no matter what. 7-6 seasons aren't going to cut it from here on out.

If UT loses this game but goes 9-4 next year and 10-3 in 2016 no one will give this game a 2nd thought.

Agreed. However, I'd still rather be able to say I took the team from a downward spiral to a winning season and bowl win in only my second season. Considering the fact that we weren't expected to contend for the SEC East this year anyway, I'd still say this is the single most important game of the season.

Also, what's worse than going to a lower tier bowl game? Losing that lower tier bowl game.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed. However, I'd still rather be able to say I took the team from a downward spiral to a winning season and bowl win in only my second season. Considering the fact that we weren't expected to contend for the SEC East this year anyway, I'd still say this is the single most important game of the season.

Also, what's worse than going to a lower tier bowl game? Losing that lower tier bowl game.

Can't agree more! If you're there...win! :good!:

VN Store

Back