Boosters controlling the AD?

I could be off base here but it sounds to me like John Thorton and Haslam have a very real influence on this AD hire. It almost seems as if they've blocked the Blackburn hire to try to get their guy Phil in there. At first, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But ive been thinking....

Think of all the hires Hart has made and even go back to Hamilton. Dooley, Kiffin, DT, Butch Jones. These arent names that were top HC candidates when they were hired. They were bargain hires that maybe, hopefully struck gold but if they didn't, hey, at least we didn't spend that much.

So what if the boosters are tired of it and want to take matters into their own hands. They get their guy Phil in there and basically make major coaching hires themselves. This could lead to us finally hiring that big name coach we've all been waiting over a decade for.

Again, I could be way off here and I know theres a lot more to it but, jmo.

Am I the only one who just wants haslam to send money and give no input. The browns are a spectacular franchise.

Reactions: 2 people
Peyton and his wife donated 3mil to the football program and his scholarship fund back in '15. He's somewhat of a booster but I think the relationship between him and the school is more symbiotic.

I could be off base here but it sounds to me like John Thorton and Haslam have a very real influence on this AD hire. It almost seems as if they've blocked the Blackburn hire to try to get their guy Phil in there. At first, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But ive been thinking....

Think of all the hires Hart has made and even go back to Hamilton. Dooley, Kiffin, DT, Butch Jones. These arent names that were top HC candidates when they were hired. They were bargain hires that maybe, hopefully struck gold but if they didn't, hey, at least we didn't spend that much.

So what if the boosters are tired of it and want to take matters into their own hands. They get their guy Phil in there and basically make major coaching hires themselves. This could lead to us finally hiring that big name coach we've all been waiting over a decade for.

Lol. Why do you think Kiffin played golf with Haslam before he was hired? It's always been this way. Nothing has or will change.

There isn't really a great argument to be made about why he wouldn't be a good hire. Having said that, I don't share in the absolute certainly that many on VN seem to have that he'd be an amazing AD. He might turn out to be, but I don't think it is some slam dunk guarantee that he would be.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the job he's done at UTC. Their budget and footprint in the area are way too insignificant to read very much into considering he'd be going to a much, much bigger school. He didn't have anything to do with hiring Huesman. He has made some good hires in men's and women's basketball, but the basketball teams (women's in particular) have always been pretty good and attract good mid-major talent.

Blackburn's best credentials are the many years he spent in the AD at UTK. If Fulmer and Blackburn are the two options, which from the outside looking in they appear to be, I'd take Blackburn easily.

I've always heard best indicator of future success in a job is past performance. It's not Blackburn's fault UTC doesn't have larger budget. He went there, succeeded with what he had. DB would be awesome, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person

Heck just look at the Browns to tell you Haslam dosen't know anything about how to run anything football.

I think Haslam is a great football guy. Look at how well the Browns are doing in the NFL. Fulmer's hire of Clawson was a perfect fit. Hiring the right person is critical.

Too bad Saban and Bilichoke(sp Im a Steeler) are set

View attachment 126985

Sir knight? I've just pissed in my pants... and nobody can do anything about it.

The lifeblood of any athletic department is money. Since the AD runs so many programs, it doesn't make enough to be self sufficient. That's where the boosters come in with their money, and when you donate millions of dollars, you expect to have a say in decisions. It would be great if their donations were more altruistic, but they're basically buying influence. It is what it is. You either allow them that influence, or they take those millions elsewhere. UT needs them more than they need UT.

They played a role in those hires as well...

Haslams ? Why would anybody think he knows what he is doing when it comes to athletics. I know people have seen what he has done to the Browns organization. He took a down organization and took it further below. Good leadership would tell all of them that they appreciate their input but this is the direction we are going to try and improve the athletic department

Educate yourself. It makes you look less stupid.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone needs to remember that the boosters also had their hands in on hiring Hamilton, Hart, Dooley , Kiffin and the like. Those with the money just didn't start getting involved in the last 3 months.

I've always heard all this talk of booster's controlling this and booster's controlling that... concerning the athletic dept at UT......but, after many years of following the Vols, I've determined that, that's all it is, just talk:crazy:

After watching Haslam with the Browns, my hope is that he will write checks and then get as far away as possible from any personnel decisions. Same for the rest. They might be great businessmen, but that means nothing when it comes to hiring coaches.

VN Store

Back