Boosters controlling the AD?

The problem with UT is there are too many chiefs and not enough indians. There are 3-4 major players and it's hard to get them to agree on anything

Haslams ? Why would anybody think he knows what he is doing when it comes to athletics. I know people have seen what he has done to the Browns organization. He took a down organization and took it further below. Good leadership would tell all of them that they appreciate their input but this is the direction we are going to try and improve the athletic department

Reactions: 1 person
Charlie Ergan - Dish
Haslams - Pilot Flying J
Charlie Anderson - Anderson Media Corporation
Thunder Thornton - CEO of Thunder Enterprises, formerly CEO of American Rug Craftsmen.
Alan Jones - Check Into Cash
John Tickle - Owner of Strongwell

There are a lot of others too. Books-A-Millon guy, Ruby Tuesdays, Regal Cinemas, CEOs and businessman, and a lot of local/regional guys that have made a lot of money through various means.

no musicians or drug dealers?

I would love to know the HONEST hierarchy of our administration. The head coach answers to the AD? The AD answers to the chancellor? The chancellor answers to the president? The president to the board? Is this it? And the boosters chime in with as much influence on all parties is allowed?

Has anyone made an actual substantive argument about why David Blackburn would not be a good hire? I've heard all the arguments for him (and agree with them), but it seems like this is nothing more than a personality conflict (Anderson is who I've heard) putting a veto on the hire like Russia blocking a UN Security Council Resolution. Is there an argument I've been missing that says why Blackburn wouldn't be the best candidate for the job? Is anyone even bothering to make one with a straight face?

There isn't really a great argument to be made about why he wouldn't be a good hire. Having said that, I don't share in the absolute certainly that many on VN seem to have that he'd be an amazing AD. He might turn out to be, but I don't think it is some slam dunk guarantee that he would be.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the job he's done at UTC. Their budget and footprint in the area are way too insignificant to read very much into considering he'd be going to a much, much bigger school. He didn't have anything to do with hiring Huesman. He has made some good hires in men's and women's basketball, but the basketball teams (women's in particular) have always been pretty good and attract good mid-major talent.

Blackburn's best credentials are the many years he spent in the AD at UTK. If Fulmer and Blackburn are the two options, which from the outside looking in they appear to be, I'd take Blackburn easily.

Reactions: 2 people
I would love to know the HONEST hierarchy of our administration. The head coach answers to the AD? The AD answers to the chancellor? The chancellor answers to the president? The president to the board? Is this it? And the boosters chime in with as much influence on all parties is allowed?

I think you described it perfectly.

I have to question anyone that would draft Manziel. I have to admit he doesn't look like a very good pro owner. Just because one has money doesn't make them good at picking coaches and AD's. GBO!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
People with money have the power in every area of this world. Why would it be any different at UT? The only problem is many have the misconception that simply because someone is rich it also makes them a genius. That's definitely not always the case.

Reactions: 6 people
Some of you are confusing your 'Haslams'. Big Jim Haslam is Cleveland Jimmy Haslam's dad. Big Jim is the big booster.

You guys are so freaking naĂŻve....

Boosters donate the use of a jet, donate $$$$ to build new practice field, new weight room, new locker rooms, etc... and yet you people don't expect them to weigh in on the AD choice and push for their guy? You think they donates millions and millions and don't expect a seat at the table and have influence on decisions? You don't have a clue how the world really works do you?

Reactions: 4 people
You guys are so freaking naĂŻve....

Boosters donate the use of a jet, donate $$$$ to build new practice field, new weight room, new locker rooms, etc... and yet you people don't expect them to weigh in on the AD choice and push for their guy? You think they donates millions and millions and don't expect a seat at the table and have influence on decisions? You don't have a clue how the world really works do you?

I don't think people are upset that boosters have a say.

I think they are upset that politics and seemingly petty personal beefs are such a large aspect of the search. Upset that, despite some kind of presumed level of business acumen, negotiating skill, or leadership (considering what they do for a living), they cannot efficiently and effectively make decisions.

On one hand we have multi-millionaires who are very successful businessmen. One of their skills is hiring the right man for the job in their businesses. Now we see them blocking the hiring of the one candidate with the most experience, solid credentials, and a proven track record for the AD job. This is such a strange paradox. I'm beginning to think that they want a candidate who will do their calling, a puppet, and not what is best for the department/ school. This has become more about control and ego. Sad for UT!!!

I don't think people are upset that boosters have a say.

I think they are upset that politics and seemingly petty personal beefs are such a large aspect of the search. Upset that, despite some kind of presumed level of business acumen, negotiating skill, or leadership (considering what they do for a living), they cannot efficiently and effectively make decisions.

This. In the end, these boosters are just fans like you and me with much deeper pockets. The objectivity described above tends to go out the window when you give rich fans the keys to the car.

Agreed. And a lot of our boosters inherited their companies or built them on their own. They want their way and they are not used to being told no.

So you expect them to give millions with zero input on where it goes? Let me know how that works out for the ad :lol:

Ridiculous. Having input on building projects is one thing. Getting to decide who is and isn't hired is filthy and immoral. It's a billionaire's toy to play with.

This. In the end, these boosters are just fans like you and me with much deeper pockets. The objectivity described above tends to go out the window when you give rich fans the keys to the car.

I wonder if they had any influence on the hiring Davenport, or was it a knee jerk reaction to the Title IX law suit? If it was a reaction to Title IX, we are likely not going to be very happy with the results. I wonder what the people who worker with her at Perdue have to say about her.

The one thing I've gathered in regards to Blackburn and even gotten some confirmation from national media on Twitter is that Charlie Anderson is the booster heavily involved in this search and Anderson and Blackburn have some major issues. Mainly, Anderson wanted Dooley and Blackburn stood up to him and told him no - resulting in some bad blood between the two, which is why some media members think Blackburn was never a real candidate to begin with. From what I gather in reading everything is that if Anderson wasn't involved, Blackburn may have already been hired.

Again, I'm not an insider. I just read this forum and some other forums and pay for subscriptions to other sites. My opinion comes from reading all of the insiders there.

Good leadership would do what is right for the program instead of letting a booster tell them the way it is going to be. Good leadership would hire the right person regardless of a booster's thought because hiring the right person would bring winning back to the athletic department through out. Winning puts a smile on everybody's face even if they were mad at that time over who you hired. The real problem is that there is no good leadership on campus to direct ANYBODY.

Good leadership would do what is right for the program instead of letting a booster tell them the way it is going to be. Good leadership would hire the right person regardless of a booster's thought because hiring the right person would bring winning back to the athletic department through out. Winning puts a smile on everybody's face even if they were mad at that time over who you hired. The real problem is that there is no good leadership on campus to direct ANYBODY.

Good leadership figures out how to make all the pieces fit.
The boosters happen to be a necessary part of that puzzle.

Ridiculous. Having input on building projects is one thing. Getting to decide who is and isn't hired is filthy and immoral. It's a billionaire's toy to play with.

Slow down there Sally

You clearly don't understand big college athletics, this is how it's done everywhere. Go ahead and "cut" them out of the decision making process with the AD and you can kiss that huge donation goodbye.

Some of you are confusing your 'Haslams'. Big Jim Haslam is Cleveland Jimmy Haslam's dad. Big Jim is the big booster.

Your right, I was just saying that being rich doesn't make one a great decision maker. On the other hand it's perfectly normal to have boosters that help pick coaches and AD's. I just hope that ours can work together for the common good of the University and not be block something just because of a grudge or another candidate that they think may be better. I remain confident they will get it right. GBO!!!!!!

Not having big boosters for an athletic department would yield the same results as having TV with no commercials.

A really BIG part of being the AD is fundraising.

If the AD can't get the big boosters to write BIG checks then he will fail as our AD and will be job hunting.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

(_)_) kissing is a big part of being a good AD unfortunately.

Like it or not it's the way it is.

VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back