Bob Shoop headed to Miss. St at their DC

Injuries and bad recruiting evaluations. My guess is that he does well. As much as UT fans hated him, he did not forget how to be an elite DC. Very little went right under Lyle.

It’s not that fans hated HIM. I think everyone kept waiting for that great resume to show on the field. In the end they hated the product.

I’m not going to sit here and call Shoop a Bum based on two bad years in his career. I hate that it didn’t work out here.

My guess is he does well at Miss St.

Reactions: 7 people
enjoy starkville....You were awful. SEC West should be fun.

I think he was a fine DC, but he, like others on the staff, had fundamental differences about Butch's philosophy. Hoke even revealed that he didn't like Butch's policy of little or no contact in practice after Wednesday (If I remember correctly). Personally, I think it made us soft, like Hoke. There were no doubt concerns from BS as well. Good news is that MSU will get a solid DC and UT will again put some physicality in those storm troopers! :rock:
_FSyjkDy.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
I think he done his best with what he had. He had a jackass band member for a boss and injuries that we have never seen.. Shoop will be fine and I hope he does well

Yup. He was hamstrung by Lyle...I never did think Shoop failed miserably or anything; he wasn't really in a position to excel given the idiosyncrasies and shortcomings of his boss.

Reactions: 2 people
It's telling that he got a gig in the SEC so quick. I mean we just announced our new coach LAST NIGHT. Obviously, he isn't being tied to BJ too closely and others see that he was in a piss poor situation here.

Reactions: 1 person
He'll probably do great again. Wonder why it was so difficult here.

Players rarely played hard for him. And he didn't teach physical tackling. Unless he completely changes, I doubt he'll do much better at State but we'll see

It's telling that he got a gig in the SEC so quick. I mean we just announced our new coach LAST NIGHT. Obviously, he isn't being tied to BJ too closely and others see that he was in a piss poor situation here.

He is reunited with his buddy from Penn State. Makes sense.

Injuries and bad recruiting evaluations. My guess is that he does well. As much as UT fans hated him, he did not forget how to be an elite DC. Very little went right under Lyle.

And not playing the best personnel in each position which has to do with evaluation you mentioned.

He was clearly a smart guy and he's shown he can coach up players in the past. Agree with many on here that injuries, depth, and Butch were something he couldn't overcome. Good luck to him at MS State.

For whatever reason, proven commodities like Shoop don't always work around these parts, especially with the cluster we've had going on in the administration and head coaching positions the last 8 years. It's one of the reasons I didn't think past experience "at that position" was a requirement. Shoop had proven tough defenses at Penn State and Vandy, but coming into Butch's style of management it just didn't work here. Plus the injuries were downright crippling.

It's one of the reasons I'm excited about some of the new blood coming in.

I think Shoop will have Miss St. respectable, but I don't expect them to win 10 games next year or anything.

VN Store

Back