Bleacher Report Says Tennessee is 10-2 in 2015

8-4 would be a B-/C+ season in my book. While it would look good considering the recent past it would still mean 4 losses to:

OU
UF
UGA
Ark
Bama
USC
Mizzou

There is only 1 team in that group with a significant talent advantage and that's Bama. The other 6 games UT should be as talented or more talented.

Truth. It's time.

Reactions: 2 people
8-4 would be a B-/C+ season in my book. While it would look good considering the recent past it would still mean 4 losses to:

OU
UF
UGA
Ark
Bama
USC
Mizzou

There is only 1 team in that group with a significant talent advantage and that's Bama. The other 6 games UT should be as talented or more talented.
i agree with this, but that in and of itself doesn't promise a win in any of those games.

the problem is 'expectation'. what should we really expect? very talented team. returning. lots of young-some unproven- talent. should we expect to be better? yeah. but is better not getting your doors blown off against Ole Miss? or bum rushed against Bama? or not letting down against Mizzou, UGA, UF and OU?

to me it's a combination of all that. and i still think the issue is not the # of losses, but who we might lose to and when.

10-2, with no context sounds great. does anyone here honestly think it's ok to lose to FL again???? i'll go out on a limb and say if we lose to UF, we certainly will not finish 10-2. we play another 4 or 5 teams that will be better than UF most likely.

to me, the key is remain relevant in the SEC E picture for as long as we possibly can.

step one...beat FL. Step 2 beat UGA....and take our chances the rest of the way. each game we play will either set up the "next" huge game in the SEC E if we continue to win. 9-3 with losses to OU, Bama and ARK.......i'd be good with that. 8-4 with losses to those teams and say Mizzou, i could live with that too.

Frankly, i just care about beating UGA, UF and USC too much right now, and i don't think we will beat Bama. so what losses wouldn't piss me off that much? and the above is my answer.

due respect to b/r, but 10-2 is very generous. no matter who they have us losing to, and UF simply can't be one of them. period.

This article is just flatout WRONG!

We are going to drain that nasty swamp and come out of floriDUHHH with a huge WIN!

UT...27
UF...17

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person

OU
UF
UGA
Ark
Bama
USC
Mizzou

IMO, the four acceptable losses would be Bama, Arkansas, Georgia/Mizzou, and Oklahoma..

Bama is Bama, the same Bama they always are under Saban. It'll suck because they lose so many starters from last year that I think this is our best shot in forever to beat them, but they're perennial NC contenders so what can you expect?

Oklahoma still has talent. And while they're replacing so much of their coaching staff, they really got a good OC who's bringing the Air Raid from ECU.

Georgia or Mizzou.. They have been at the top of the SEC for the last several years. I'm not predicting we win the SECe this year, so with my logic, a loss has to come from one of these teams. It'll be frustrating, but at least I'm not saying a loss will come from both of them.

and Arkansas. They're tough. Yeah, I was with the rest of the country when I thought the Bert hire was a joke and that he'd never succeed in the SEC. But I watched several of their games last year and they were impressive. They have talent to replace, particularly on D, but they're not auto-win by any stretch.

I think we have a good season but I lost interest in the first paragraph when he stated Blair was having an impressive spring.

Should have read the 2nd paragraph where he quoted Blair's O-Line coach that said the same thing. It's spring ball, they aren't just going to stick Blair into the starting spot until he earns it. Heck, last summer/fall Hurd was clearly the best RB on roster and he wasn't listed as a starter until mid season.

OU
UF
UGA
Ark
Bama
USC
Mizzou

How do you write a book on a season that hasn't even started?

Not losing to the gators for the eleventh year in a row. Sorry not sorry

whatevers.

Gawd forbid guys start dropping to injury. We will be in the exact same place as last year.

Give it a rest. Save it for next year when we should expect more. Stop letting these talking head guys set you up for suicide.

OU
UF
UGA
Ark
Bama
USC
Mizzou

Agree wholeheartedly. 8-4 sounds awfully good when you say it. But it doesn't quite look as good when you actually analyze the schedule.

... UF 2015 will feel like Bama 95. Best feeling will be when UF makes a late push and we all get worried, then on the next play Hurd pulls a Jay Graham and takes it 75 to the house.

Nah, best feeling would be when Dobbs hits North for that 80 yd TD on the first play from scrimmage.

Reactions: 4 people
whatevers.

Gawd forbid guys start dropping to injury. We will be in the exact same place as last year.

Give it a rest. Save it for next year when we should expect more. Stop letting these talking head guys set you up for suicide.

Why would we be in the same position as last year? Last year we had pretty bad luck with injuries. We weren't exactly a healthy squad. So, let's assume we have the same kind of luck this year.

Well, other than AJ, we lost nobody that we will really miss. We also added another incredible recruiting class, and our freshmen are now sophomores. We should be better, and deeper, at QB, WR, OL, DL, and DB. We should be as good or better at RB. We should be slightly worse depth wise at TE, but more experienced. And we should be close to as good at LB with the added depth, and the increased experience.

So, if we had decently bad luck last year with injuries, and we are deeper, more experienced, and more talented this year, how can we reasonably expect injuries to leave us in a comparable position?

Not to mention, our schedule this year is easier. So, EVEN IF things were no better, we should be better off this season.

Should have read the 2nd paragraph where he quoted Blair's O-Line coach that said the same thing. It's spring ball, they aren't just going to stick Blair into the starting spot until he earns it. Heck, last summer/fall Hurd was clearly the best RB on roster and he wasn't listed as a starter until mid season.

Butch and Debord have said differently, and Mahoney also said recently Blair has a lot of improving to do. But you're right, it is just spring, and early at that. And I've no doubt Blair is improving, but so far he has practiced with the scout team and most recently with the 2nd team. If I read that he is looking impressive with the
1st team OL against the 1st team DL, then I will get excited. I do have hope for him. Lord knows we will need him.

Edit: And I went back and read the 2nd paragraph and Mahoney did not say the same thing as Sallee, who said he was having an impressive spring. Mahoney didn't come anywhere near saying that. He simply said Blair was bigger and stronger and has more of a sense of urgency. Last season Mahoney and Jake both said Blair had very bad hand technique. When I read that Mahoney is happy with Blair's hand technique I will start to believe.

Last edited:
Why would we be in the same position as last year? Last year we had pretty bad luck with injuries. We weren't exactly a healthy squad. So, let's assume we have the same kind of luck this year.

Well, other than AJ, we lost nobody that we will really miss. We also added another incredible recruiting class, and our freshmen are now sophomores. We should be better, and deeper, at QB, WR, OL, DL, and DB. We should be as good or better at RB. We should be slightly worse depth wise at TE, but more experienced. And we should be close to as good at LB with the added depth, and the increased experience.

So, if we had decently bad luck last year with injuries, and we are deeper, more experienced, and more talented this year, how can we reasonably expect injuries to leave us in a comparable position?

Not to mention, our schedule this year is easier. So, EVEN IF things were no better, we should be better off this season.

The depth you guys refer to are freshman.

How do you write a book on a season that hasn't even started?

It's called a prediction....just like yours and the other umpteen million that are out there. The word "would" should have given you a clue to the future tense.

If UT were to go 8-4 this season, the 4 losses are most likely to come from these games:

OU
UF
UGA
ARK
BAMA
USC
MIZZOU

Agree?

Last edited:
I'm probably the biggest Pollyanna here, and I just don't see how we get to 10-2.

VollyGirl, I'm sorry...but you lose the title Biggest Pollyanna Here if you aren't predicting 10-2 or better. :)

IMO, the four acceptable losses would be Bama, Arkansas, Georgia/Mizzou, and Oklahoma..

There are no longer any 'acceptable' losses. We are back, baby. Don't make me send you to Doyle's office. :)

Name all the freshman starters. I assure you there won't be that many.

O.K. redshirt freshmen. The problem is that the depth is young. The back ups have not had much time. The starters have had one season. That's not a lot. If guys start dropping like they have every single year...I mean every year we go in with a plan and all these expectations and inevitably it blows up within two games. Stop setting yourselves up. Next year we will be set. One more year till we can go in expecting more. This season will be fun. I will be very interested in seeing how it plays out. I'm not expecting jack crap till next year though. I've waited this long...I can wait one more.

Official Football Roster - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

VN Store

Back