Bill Callahan

Hey all, another Husker fan. Hoping I can provide a somewhat different perspective, perhaps more fair or objective (I really don't know how accurate my thoughts are, take them for what they're worth.)

Callahan came to Nebraska after Steve Pedersen (who I daresay was a darker spot on NU history than Callahan was) fired a coach who was winning games, and had even won nine games that season. The thing was, even though he had 9, 10, 11 win seasons, some thought he wasn't the best coach for us because of the last five years of Tom Osborne's legacy, in which he went a ridiculous 60-3 with three national championships and was one field goal away from a fourth.

So now Pedersen is in a bind, because he decides not to hire Bo Pelini, even though the fanbase is screaming for him, and also because what head coach in his right mind would want to come into a place like Nebraska, with the most spoiled fans in all of sports, when the previous coach got fired after a nine win season? Callahan was actually Pedersen's 5th choice (if i recall correctly) for head coach, and frankly put, Callahan needed a job.

There's a few things to make from this. The first is that Pedersen obviously wanted to modernize the offense, which is why Callahan was an option. The second is that Callahan was more than likely brought in here without a real good understanding of what Nebraska football meant to the entire state, whether that be his fault or Pedersen's. The last is that he was entrusted with the job of completely revolutionizing the offense of past that had been so dominant for ~30 years.

So in he comes, with his pretty passing offense and NFL mentality and it was a sight to behold for Husker fans. None of us had ever seen such a business-like approach, getting off certain amounts of plays in so many minutes during practice, huge playbooks, motivational devices, etc., and the first year was very much a transitional phase.

Yadda yadda yadda stuff about more of the transition period..

Basically, what I am getting around to is that Callahan did completely alienate so much of what Nebraska football was, but a lot of it I don't blame on him. Pedersen brought him in, when he most likely didn't know what to expect, and it wasn't exactly fair to expect what was expected of him, and if you ask me he did the job he was primarily brought in for; modernizing the program to keep up with today's standards. In 2006 we were in the top 25 for passing offense, rushing offense, and total offense, and were one play away from beating Texas, and all but won against Auburn as well. In 2007 the offense was still a bit of a well-oiled machine, seemingly the only times it ever faltered once he got his players in was due to questionable philosophies concerning leads.

I personally believe Callahan would be a good hire for a coordinator spot, especially if he is not as in charge of the offense as he was at Nebraska. Look up past articles on him and you will find knowledgeable people in their own right, praising his grasp of offensive philosophies and I completely agree that he is a genius in certain respects on the offensive side of the ball. I even think of him as being a pretty good guy character wise, just unfamiliar with the college level in part. What he flat out stinks with, is being in charge of a major program.

Sorry if that is a bit jumbled and if you're not exactly sure what to get out of it. There are some things I really dislike Callahan for, and he left a bad taste in my mouth, but some are just me wrongly throwing blame around and even more were the result of Steve Pedersen.

Never did. Ran the power I and option for most of the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Callihan brought the West Coast Offense to NU. U-t-t-e-r d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

There are other things I could say, but Doc says the tic will come back.

It was beautiful to watch for all of those years except two bowl games.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't pattern a lot of my own playcalling tendencies off of Nebraska. They had no compunction about running the same thing seven or eight plays in a row to set up the home run when the defense was just starting to get a little loose out there.

Of course, I say Nebraska's playbook of the Osborne/Solich era was too big. They really only needed about 15 running plays and the play action variations.

He coaches the line at NYJ, was HC at NU and HC at Oakland. Was he the OC at Oakland before HC?

The guy is a brilliant X and O guy. But he can't call plays. Very predictable. At NU he had the 800 page (for real) play book but he called the same 5 plays over and over. Kiffin has to call the plays.

Another issue was the team got soft. Heck you saw it. He didn't have them in full pads - ever. Only the starters got reps. Former Husker players were shocked and tell stories about water balloon fights by the rest of the squad during practice.

I'm not necessarily averse to this. I'm used to full pads being used in practice as punishment for a feeble performance or a poor effort on Friday nights. In my opinion it allows more work to be done since it slows the fatigue process down a little bit, and it also builds a certain amount of aggressive tension during the week that can be unloaded on Friday nights.

The logic came to me by my old head coach via the legendary John Gagliardi.

See now this Nebraska fan I actually respect. Those morons in the recruiting forum bring down the whole state of Nebraska.

Those folks don't represent most Nebraska fans. Most Husker fans act like they've won something before.

I'm a member of a Nebraska discussion group, they invited me in during the lead-up to the 2000 Fiesta Bowl. Speaking the name of Callahan to them is about like invoking Satan. He wasn't a good coach, and he was a jerk. He knows the West Coast Offense and that's about it.

Running the west coast offense at nebraska, when they can't recruit west coast offense type players---extremely dumb.

Running the west coast offense at nebraska, when they can't recruit west coast offense type players---extremely dumb.

Actually we had some fantastic recruiting classes under Callahan. His first full class was even considered #1 in the country by some, and we were routinely right up there with the best. Before our 2007 meltdown, we were in the top ten building an extremely impressive quarterback including the #1 pro-style quarterback in the country.

He coaches the line at NYJ, was HC at NU and HC at Oakland. Was he the OC at Oakland before HC?

The guy is a brilliant X and O guy. But he can't call plays. Very predictable. At NU he had the 800 page (for real) play book but he called the same 5 plays over and over. Kiffin has to call the plays.

Another issue was the team got soft. Heck you saw it. He didn't have them in full pads - ever. Only the starters got reps. Former Husker players were shocked and tell stories about water balloon fights by the rest of the squad during practice.

I've always been a Vols fan and wish nothing but the best for you guys. If you must hire him I think the key is you need to have hands on assistants that can teach the kids because Callahan just can't teach and he plays favorites. He started the ones that did the best in class vs. the best on the field. We had four star players looking foolish on the field. Most embarrassing four years ever.

So if Kiffin has to call the plays and make sure the position coaches are teaching... why do you need an OC?

I tailgated with Vols at the NC game in Miami in 98. Osborne's last game. We painted "Tom's Last Dance - The Tennessee Waltz" on a car along with Husker logo etc. We had tons of Vol fans asking to have their photo taken with our car. Ah the memories....

You guys take care. Trust that Kiffin will make good decisions. We went thru this last year and it is tough. But just one year later we are once again hopeful. I wish the same for you. Good luck and Go Big Red! :salute:

Oh well I for damn sure would replace Adkins with Callahan as the O-Line Coach.

I'm not sure that the West Coast offense is particularly suited to the college game as it seems to be too complex. It relies too much on QB making multiple reads quickly, delivering the ball in rythm and relying on WR also making the correct reads and adjustments. I think variations of basic smash mouth football is the best for college using either various versions of run oriented options or Alabama style physical run game with elements of vertical stretch and TE drags across the middle. Be physical, learn to execute a handful of plays flawlessly and be aggressive...don't be trying to think and play at the same time.

I am optimistic and hopeful for this new staff...with that said, OH PLEASE don't bring Callahan to Knoxville...just google him and read what he did for Nebraska football...not that I care what he did for/to Nebraska but, he also sucked at Oakland and I don't think any of us want any of his SUCKAGE in Knoxville

Pray that Callahan does not come to UT.

Nebraska's small increases in offense were because of one man and one man alone. Shawn Watson fought Callahan at every turn to try to make an offense that would work with college kids.

He begged to be allowed to limit the playbook but Callahan would allow no editing of his divine playbook.

Over 270 plays were to be memorized by a kid who not only was trying to learn the offensive scheme but also graduate college. That was just ridiculous. It took 3 years for a kid to learn his offense.
This year with the same kids Watson took the same playbook but threw out all but 70 and brought in with it some option plays.
The missed timings, the wrong routes, the general confuion have dropped drastically and this 5-7 team last year is now 8-4 with it's only losses to ranked teams and two of those very close losses, one in overtime.

Callahan was also notorious for not being able to adjust game plans. What was the offensive game plan at the start of each game was always the same gameplan at the loss of the game..

He also was known to try and force a square peg into a round hole just because it was his round hole. Instead of adapting to the strengths of the players he had he forced them to adapt to his scheme.

That is all on the field, off the field was even sadder. Nebraska's proud tradition was thrown out the window.

Pictures of Nebraska famed players were taken down in the "tunnel".
Former players were informed they were no longer welcome to walk on the field at practices as before. Former players would be required to submit formal requests to Bill Callahan before attending practices or being allowed on the sidelines at games. Callahan never spoke one time to Tom Osborn during his entire tenure until Osborn was brought back as A.D. and he had to.
He wanted nothing to do with the old Nebraska.

As quoted by former (fired) A.D. Steve Pederson after his Callahan hire "the Devaney/Osborne era has come to an end and Nebraska is now embarking upon the
Bill Callahan era". Translation your tradition did not involve us so we are throwing it out.

Another quote after one of Callahan's abysmal towel throw-ins when fans were calling for his head "Nebraskans need to get a life. There is something more than college football you know."

Pray to God you don't end up with a Callahan era in Tennessee.

Oh well I for damn sure would replace Adkins with Callahan as the O-Line Coach.

I'm with you..I figured Adkins would be one of the first ones to get the boot from CLK....

The thing I remember about Callahan was the piece ESPN did on him and the verbage he used for his plays...

I don't see how the Husker QB's remembered all that crap..He would call out a play this !--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------! long for half-back dive....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that the West Coast offense is particularly suited to the college game as it seems to be too complex. It relies too much on QB making multiple reads quickly, delivering the ball in rythm and relying on WR also making the correct reads and adjustments. I think variations of basic smash mouth football is the best for college using either various versions of run oriented options or Alabama style physical run game with elements of vertical stretch and TE drags across the middle. Be physical, learn to execute a handful of plays flawlessly and be aggressive...don't be trying to think and play at the same time.

Lets just let Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, USC, Oklahoma, and LSU that their "Quarterbacks relying on reads, and WR being able to adapt, and use proper reads" doesn't work in College Football. :crazy:

I was listening to 104.5 the zone on the way to work. A caller called in and asked 'bout Callahan and the UT guys said they haven't heard his named mentioned. Take it for what it's worth.

I was listening to 104.5 the zone on the way to work. A caller called in and asked 'bout Callahan and the UT guys said they haven't heard his named mentioned. Take it for what it's worth.

I have mixed feeling about Callahan, I'd rather not have him come to Knoxville but if he did I'd of course support him.

I'm with you..I figured Adkins would be one of the first ones to get the boot from CLK....

The thing I remember about Callahan was the piece ESPN did on him and the verbage he used for his plays...

I don't see how the Husker QB's remembered all that crap..He would call out a play this !---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------! long for half-back dive....

I went through the same thing two years ago. I know full well that opposing teams were timing how long our guys were in the huddle and then adjusting to a run (short time in huddle) or pass (obscenely long time in huddle with a possible delay of game penalty).

I don't see how the Husker QB's remembered all that crap..He would call out a play this !---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------! long for half-back dive....
:clapping:

You got it! BINGO. Needless to say we had a bunch of miscues and delay of game calls as a result. You could read the Declaration of Independence faster.

Pray that Callahan does not come to UT.

Nebraska's small increases in offense were because of one man and one man alone. Shawn Watson fought Callahan at every turn to try to make an offense that would work with college kids.

He begged to be allowed to limit the playbook but Callahan would allow no editing of his divine playbook.

Over 270 plays were to be memorized by a kid who not only was trying to learn the offensive scheme but also graduate college. That was just ridiculous. It took 3 years for a kid to learn his offense.
This year with the same kids Watson took the same playbook but threw out all but 70 and brought in with it some option plays.
The missed timings, the wrong routes, the general confuion have dropped drastically and this 5-7 team last year is now 8-4 with it's only losses to ranked teams and two of those very close losses, one in overtime.

Callahan was also notorious for not being able to adjust game plans. What was the offensive game plan at the start of each game was always the same gameplan at the loss of the game..

He also was known to try and force a square peg into a round hole just because it was his round hole. Instead of adapting to the strengths of the players he had he forced them to adapt to his scheme.

That is all on the field, off the field was even sadder. Nebraska's proud tradition was thrown out the window.

Pictures of Nebraska famed players were taken down in the "tunnel".
Former players were informed they were no longer welcome to walk on the field at practices as before. Former players would be required to submit formal requests to Bill Callahan before attending practices or being allowed on the sidelines at games. Callahan never spoke one time to Tom Osborn during his entire tenure until Osborn was brought back as A.D. and he had to.
He wanted nothing to do with the old Nebraska.

As quoted by former (fired) A.D. Steve Pederson after his Callahan hire "the Devaney/Osborne era has come to an end and Nebraska is now embarking upon the
Bill Callahan era". Translation your tradition did not involve us so we are throwing it out.

Another quote after one of Callahan's abysmal towel throw-ins when fans were calling for his head "Nebraskans need to get a life. There is something more than college football you know."

Pray to God you don't end up with a Callahan era in Tennessee.

This is gossip man. I'm a Husker fan through and through, but half of that is your own deductions or inaccurate.

I've never once heard a story that said anything about Watson "fighting" Callahan or pleading with him to make the playbook smaller, and I read just about all that come up, not to mention the things you address that weren't Callahan's doing at all but rather Pedersen's.

Vol fans, believe what you want to, but Callahan is not the evil, 100% incompetent person most Husker fans will make him out to be. ESPECIALLY not at a coordinator spot.

Callahan, is a guy that can totally destroy the best staff in collage football. I think Tennessee should put him under contract to join Saban staff. please stay away form Tennessee.

Callahan, is a guy that can totally destroy the best staff in collage football. I think Tennessee should put him under contract to join Saban staff. please stay away form Tennessee.
I'm still wondering how a guy that will basically be a glorified OL coach and second opinion can ruin a program. It is going to be Kiffin's offense and Kiffin will still be calling the plays.

Callahan had a shot of saving his job if he'd have fired his buddy (DC) Cosgrove but he refused to admit there was a problem and blamed the kids.

I doubt Callahan would leave the Jets for a OC position with the Vols, but this line above is just plain BS. Once the AD who hired BC was removed and Osborne was brought back, I'm pretty sure Callahan and Cosgrove both knew their time was up at Nebraska. Callahan made sweeping changes to the NU offense and his former hire Shawn Watson is running a scaled down version of what he learned from Callahan's play book.

Kiffin will have his work cut out for him, no matter who he brings in to help, but he is a WCO guy, and Callahan knows that system well. Callahan was never going to be accepted by the NU fanbase after the former AD fired Frank Solich. Husker players had the sites set pretty high last year and then USC came to town and beat their expectations into the turf at Memorial. Some of the defensive players really mailed it in after that game. A good HC would have worked hard to prevent that, but the team in the prior year won the Big 12 No division, so they appeared to be progressing until the USC debacle.

If you get him and combined that with Monte K. and others being mentioned, you just might give that SEC something to really think about in terms of recruiting and excitement on your offense. You could do a heck of a lot worse. I don't see it happening with Callahan coming from the Jets, but you could do worse.

I haven't read through this thread, but why all the Huskers all of the sudden? (no offense, just wondering)

Are we linked to one of their boards or something??

I haven't read through this thread, but why all the Huskers all of the sudden? (no offense, just wondering)

Are we linked to one of their boards or something??

Rest assured, if something comes up anywhere on the internet regarding Nebraska, it will be found and linked to :) (A visible result of this is how every single sports poll involving Nebraska always has Nebraska as the victor, remember this? :)

VN Store

Back