Bill Callahan

Yep the players spend more time sitting in a chair learning the plays during practice than on the field

If there's a team that runs basic plays better than Navy and Georgia Tech, I don't know what it is. And the common theme with both is that they don't have a written playbook, and the actual number of plays they run is extremely small.

They're able to put in the entire playbook during the first day of camp and then just keep refreshing and adjusting during the year. Callahan is the type that would walk in during Week 3 and say "Okay, we haven't had much success so far on offense. We're going to put these 150 plays in for this week, even though we'll only have the chance to run 70 plays during the game."

:) Greetings Vols! I've been following your team since the early 80's... and what I am seeing is deja'vu. It reminds me very much of the firing of Solich in a year we went 10-3. Maybe Solich wasn't the answer but he was way better than the 4 years of pure terror we just lived through.

I joined this board simply because I had to reach out and say, "Please do not hire Bill Callahan". Simply google his name and you can read tons. His play book was over 800 pages. He does not know how to adapt to college ball. He can't relate to kids. He is cold. He is all coach speak. He failed at Oakland, he failed at NU... Please don't let this happen to you.

I hope that Kiffin is the next Pete Carroll in terms of success. Monte is a former Husker and was a frat bro of my father. I hope he does come in and help his son thru the transition.

Best wishes Vols! I remember last year we were going thru the same thing... I didn't get any work done. Hang in there....

My understanding is that Kiffin's offense will be the one implemented, not Callahan's.

I don't really see why Callahan would come. It's Kiffin's system we're going to run. We don't need an engineer, we just need an operator.

See now this Nebraska fan I actually respect. Those morons in the recruiting forum bring down the whole state of Nebraska.

Kiffin only needs Callahan's picture on his wall with the caption "How Not to Coach a College Football Team".

I think we'll pull a texas tech and not have an offensive coordinator, just a qb coach. Lane will coach the offense

Another Husker fan chiming in...

I really, REALLY hope for the sake of all that is Tennessee football that Bill Callahan is not hired to the staff. He is the scourge of everything college football, and it would be an absolute shame to watch the Vols get tangled up in the downward spiral that is Bill Callahan coaching.

I have my fingers crossed on your behalf. Good luck with Lane in the future, its hard to watch a great program struggle, I hope it doesn't happen to you guys for too long.

Another Husker fan chiming in...

I really, REALLY hope for the sake of all that is Tennessee football that Bill Callahan is not hired to the staff. He is the scourge of everything college football, and it would be an absolute shame to watch the Vols get tangled up in the downward spiral that is Bill Callahan coaching.

I have my fingers crossed on your behalf. Good luck with Lane in the future, its hard to watch a great program struggle, I hope it doesn't happen to you guys for too long.

thnx, you don't think that Callahan is a Norv Turner type that is really productive when not given very much say in what goes on??

thnx, you don't think that Callahan is a Norv Turner type that is really productive when not given very much say in what goes on??

There are some Husker fans that think so, but I am not one of them. I honestly don't believe he would work that way either; his eleventy billion page playbook was the most important thing to him at NU-not necessarily what was working, what WOULD work, but what he wanted to work regardless of its success.

I don't think his coaching style or mind are suited for the college game.

callahan proved pretty clearly that he didn't know how to adapt his offense for the college game. kiffin does not have that problem.

I agree w/the other Husker... no way. Here's why. EGO.

Callahan had a shot of saving his job if he'd have fired his buddy (DC) Cosgrove but he refused to admit there was a problem and blamed the kids. He also refused to change up the plays when things weren't working etc.

There is no way he'd sit back and take orders from anyone IMHO.

A wise boss once taught me that "people will do what they have done". He failed at Oakland, he failed at Nebraska. He alienated himself in both places. No reason to believe it would be any different.

I am really hoping that this is all speculation and Lane has a wonderful OC in mind for you - OR he calls the O himself.

Good luck:good!:

Not that I want to see Callahan at Tenn, but compared to 17.3 ppg (Tenn in '08), that doesn't look that bad. Alabama is undefeated and #1 in the country at 32.1 ppg.

... and Kiffin also said the playbook will be his no matter who the OC is.

Well first of all , Callahan is a great positon coach just like Coach O , neither were cut out to be HeadCoaches, but we all know in Oakland there is AL and the puppets and he always controls everyone ,Because Madden's not coming back. But Big Daddy Tom is back and BIG RED POWER PITCH WILL BE BACK , as soon as Polini hires an old Husker Qb like Frost,Crouch and gets them steamrolling again. So if Callahan shows up , we run a pro style offense,so I wont cry until he tries to run something just really crazy, but I dont think he will leave the NFL again.

At what point did Nebraska run the wishbone?

Never did. Ran the power I and option for most of the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Callihan brought the West Coast Offense to NU. U-t-t-e-r d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

There are other things I could say, but Doc says the tic will come back.

No matter what it is still going to be Kiffin's play book and Kiffin calling the plays. With that in mind, I could think of a lot worse OL coaches and second opinions on an offensive staff.

He was a terrible head coach, but ive heard he had succes as an OC, and if he screws up, Kiffin can take over the OC duties

He was a terrible head coach, but ive heard he had succes as an OC, and if he screws up, Kiffin can take over the OC duties

He coaches the line at NYJ, was HC at NU and HC at Oakland. Was he the OC at Oakland before HC?

The guy is a brilliant X and O guy. But he can't call plays. Very predictable. At NU he had the 800 page (for real) play book but he called the same 5 plays over and over. Kiffin has to call the plays.

Another issue was the team got soft. Heck you saw it. He didn't have them in full pads - ever. Only the starters got reps. Former Husker players were shocked and tell stories about water balloon fights by the rest of the squad during practice.

I've always been a Vols fan and wish nothing but the best for you guys. If you must hire him I think the key is you need to have hands on assistants that can teach the kids because Callahan just can't teach and he plays favorites. He started the ones that did the best in class vs. the best on the field. We had four star players looking foolish on the field. Most embarrassing four years ever.

So if Kiffin has to call the plays and make sure the position coaches are teaching... why do you need an OC?

I tailgated with Vols at the NC game in Miami in 98. Osborne's last game. We painted "Tom's Last Dance - The Tennessee Waltz" on a car along with Husker logo etc. We had tons of Vol fans asking to have their photo taken with our car. Ah the memories....

You guys take care. Trust that Kiffin will make good decisions. We went thru this last year and it is tough. But just one year later we are once again hopeful. I wish the same for you. Good luck and Go Big Red! :salute:

VN Store

Back