Big money boosters?

The financial losses from keeping a bad head coach could far exceed $10 million. An attendance of 92,000 instead of 102,000 could be a loss of $1,000,000 revenue per game ($100 x 10,000 people).

People are mad. But Butch is a long way away from averaging 92,000 attendance.

That's my whole point. Something isn't right. If these guys really invested any real money into this program anymore we wouldn't have had Dooley or Butch. That's bad return on a investment and that's how they look at it. So either the UTAD has alienated a bunch of folks or they never really gave big money to begin with.

You don't get that rich by giving money away. I doubt they are going to give us a full $10 million for a buyout even if it wouldn't hurt them in the slightest.

I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

That is true. Even in the millionaire bracket, I have known a couple and from seeing their lifestyle you would never suspect they are loaded. Modest cars, nice but not eye-popping homes, etc. My dad was friends with one that drove a crappy old truck everywhere he went. Some of them are pretty low-key and don't flaunt it and none of them got where they are by trivializing money.

Oh about the boosters. They must not care that much anymore. This clown show has went on too long for anyone to really care that much.

I get that vibe as well. If boosters don't appear to care why should the paying customer?

I don't have a list - but am interested to see if any of what I was just told is true...

I'll quote the text I received: "Butch has lost major boosters. $10M buyout is not a problem. Needs to win out minus Alabama. If not, expect word after LSU game."

Again I have no inside knowledge personally. But this guy is a friend and has been right on several other instances pertaining to UT athletics (mainly basketball).

I'm hoping some better-connected folks can either refute or confirm.

I call BS

Not with a fanbase like this

Lol all you have to do is beat Vandy and South Carolina and a dumpster fire Florida team....

And the fans would cast that coach in gold...

And not 1 booster has to put up $10,000,000....his buyout after this season would be $7ish million. Less if he takes another job. The school would pay some. The boosters would all throw in. Various other organizations would throw in. If you split $7,000,000 15 different ways, it's not much to swallow to make a change.

That's a bargain.

Losing games isn't the problem.

Looking completely and utterly incompetent in front of millions of viewers, other coaches, recruits, pundits is the problem....

Having your team and coach made into memes and pundits cracking jokes on prime time sports shows is the problem...

Reactions: 4 people
Lol all you have to do is beat Vandy and South Carolina and a dumpster fire Florida team....

And not 1 booster has to put up $10,000,000....his buyout after this season would be $7ish million. Less if he takes another job. The school would pay some. The boosters would all throw in. Various other organizations would throw in. If you split $7,000,000 15 different ways, it's not much to swallow to make a change.

That's a bargain.

Looking completely and utterly incompetent in front of millions of viewers, other coaches, recruits, pundits is the problem....

Having your team and coach made into memes and pundits cracking jokes on prime time sports shows is the problem...

Even Saban wouldnt risk coming to Knoxville

I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

I can guarantee you that you're right and you're also wrong. Boosters are just like normal fans but with bigger egos and bigger wallets. It's all about how much you care about your team winning and winning during the finite years you are blessed with on this planet. I can guarantee you the Haslams and Thornton do not want to watch Tennessee suck and if Butch has proven to them that he isn't the answer then he is on the way out.

I don't have a list - but am interested to see if any of what I was just told is true...

I'll quote the text I received: "Butch has lost major boosters. $10M buyout is not a problem. Needs to win out minus Alabama. If not, expect word after LSU game."

Again I have no inside knowledge personally. But this guy is a friend and has been right on several other instances pertaining to UT athletics (mainly basketball).

I'm hoping some better-connected folks can either refute or confirm.

Do you guys get a hard on sitting around making this BS up?

Reactions: 1 person
Even Saban wouldnt risk coming to Knoxville

Not all coaches are pissy pants losers who have thin skin.

I know we have had 3 of them straight. But there are coaches out there that actually win games they are supposed to win.

Believe that or not. Lol.

Reactions: 4 people
I can guarantee you that you're right and you're also wrong. Boosters are just like normal fans but with bigger egos and bigger wallets. It's all about how much you care about your team winning and winning during the finite years you are blessed with on this planet. I can guarantee you the Haslams and Thornton do not want to watch Tennessee suck and if Butch has proven to them that he isn't the answer then he is on the way out.

Billionaires will only throw money at million dollar race horses and poker games....right?

They like their recreation too. Plus they enjoy having their ass kissed when they show up to games and meeting all the players. It's an ego trip. Just on their own, elite level.

I too, will believe it when I see it. SEC record is key.

However, if he goes 6-2, think he will get his extension; 5-3 and he is put on notice for 2018 (if he is not already); 4-4 (again) and I think he is gone provided Phil and Currie have rustled up the $$$.

If he goes 5-3, that will be 9-3 overall. Win the bowl game and get to 10 victories...he gets that extension you mentioned.

Butch's danger line IMO is 4-4 in the conference or worse. It also will get more dangerous the faster he accrues those 4 losses. If he is 0-4 after the Alabama game, he is in real trouble and there might not be any saving his arse.

Also if coaches and or fans can't handle expectation and criticism when standards aren't met...may either need another hobby or cheer for a team where no one cares with no pressure imo

Reactions: 3 people

Apparently you don't follow the lifestyles of the rich and famous. 10 mil is nothing to the ultra wealthy when it is something they want.

That's a bargain.

Yeah that becomes a image problem. One UT can't afford..

Not all coaches are pissy pants losers who have thin skin.

I know we have had 3 of them straight. But there are coaches out there that actually win games they are supposed to win.

Believe that or not. Lol.

And 2 idiot ADs - Hamilton and Hart -- after 2004 they should have seen Fulmer wasnt going to win another NC -- He should have been replaced 3 years sooner than he was

Also if coaches and or fans can't handle expectation and criticism when standards aren't met...may either need another hobby or cheer for a team where no one cares with no pressure imo

Butch built this hype train and he hasn't backed it up for the most part. He gets in his own way.

VN Store

Back