Big money boosters?

I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

But, they didn't get that rich by making irrational decisions because they got their feelings hurt over their team losing a football game.

Smart businessmen have a rational big picture approach to those types of decisions. I trust them to make the right decision at the end of the season. Unlike the broke idiots on this message board making as many ignorant statements as they can.

Reactions: 2 people
The TN brand is the laughing stock of college football?? Overreact much ??

I agree. I seriously doubt many college football fans know,or care, what happens to other teams outside of their own team. Other fans might have said "wow" when they saw last play highlight, but that's about it. I know I don't care what happens to other teams.

Charles Ergen alone has a net worth of $15.7 BILLION dollars.
Thunder is a billionaire.
Haslem is worth a few billion.
Allan Jones has a 25,000 sq foot home and is worth over $500,000,000 dollars and founded a company worth $40 billion dollars.

They probably have $10,000,000 in landscaping at their homes.

If you don't think they can pool a few bucks to raise $10 million, you're crazy.
If that's the case then why did we have to make payments to Dooley?

Do boosters have to pay the buyout? Or could the program just cover it by itself?

I believe the buyout is paid out of the athletic department funds. My understanding is that boosters would not be able to pay that. In the case of Fulmer and Dooley they received monthly payments on their buyouts until paid off.

Boosters can always donate whatever amounts they wish to into the athletic department at anytime. But so could you or I.

Reactions: 1 person
I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

Exactly, there are very few people who are liquid enough to just pull $10 million out of a hat somewhere. Worth, leveraged, and liquidity are three financial terms some of these folks discussing how much someone has need to understand better before writing about them. Lots of folks are routinely shocked to believe they have cars, comic books, coins, and stamps to name a few assets"worth" a million $s to find worth is only what you can actually sell it for on any given day. For example real estate holdings worth >$1 million are somewhat common in many communities, what is not common are buyers able to afford those properties, that's a very small group and many sellers of this type real estate often find themselves waiting long periods of time or forced to reduce the price to make a quick sale.

People always throw out these idiotic booster posts as if they control everything like puppet masters. These people clearly don't control things as much as you want to believe. All these exact same boosters were around when UT hired Kiffin, Dooley and Butch.

So either these people mindlessly throw their money away and don't know a thing about football OR they don't actually have the influence some people think they do.

I'm sure they get mad and throw hissy fits but it ends at that. I'm positive they don't care as much about controlling UT football as you want them to. They are not UT's white knights.

Butch still has a chance here. If he can turn things around and finish with 7 or more wins and avoid another loss to Vandy he earns another year. While my personal feeling about Butch as head coach aren't great, I'm not sure the administration will commit to paying the right person either. It sometimes feels kind of hopeless being a vol fan doesn't it? Perpetually 3 or 4 years away.

This is the best description of what is going on here. This is a middle of the pack SEC program at best due to mismanagement.

Butch still has a chance here. If he can turn things around and finish with 7 or more wins and avoid another loss to Vandy he earns another year. While my personal feeling about Butch as head coach aren't great, I'm not sure the administration will commit to paying the right person either. It sometimes feels kind of hopeless being a vol fan doesn't it? Perpetually 3 or 4 years away.

If we go 7-5 that means we most likely lost to Florida, Georgia, Bama, LSU and either Cocks, Vandy or Kentucky. I don't see him surviving that. We go 8-4, then things get interesting. JMO.

In today's edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel, a column stated that CBJ runs a solid program Monday through Friday and on Saturday, he makes a few questionable decisions and that if he wins most of his remaining games he will be back in 2018 according to college football insiders. The column further stated that the football program is toxic in College Station at Texas A%M.

Last edited:
We are the knoxville browns...

The AD does what he s told by big money. Yes, it's that simple folks. He is a yes man who knows who butters his bread.

Last edited:
Don't disagree about their riches.

But then why have they NEVER done it before...in any sport? Never spent that kind of money on a buyout OR on the front end to hire a proven winner. We always...ALWAYS!...go the way of the "up & comer" or the "firee-retiree".

History does not support your theory.

What exactly is a proven winner? We hired one of those once; remember Majors. We've also hired a couple of very good coaches from the assistant ranks - Dickey and Fulmer. FL hired Dickey - then a proven winner; and it flopped.

"Proven winners" in the coaching ranks seem to work just about the same as "proven winners" in horse racing. It's all about karma and the pieces fitting together at some mystical point in time.

If success depended only on proven winners then the same teams would have it all locked up every year, and historically that's been very rare. And dynasties built around a proven winner would never falter - they could only get stronger with time.

I think the only ones that really matter are the Haslams. I don't think Thornton, Allan Jones (Check into Cash guy), even Peyton move the needle that much financially. The Haslams have more money and influence that probably all of the other boosters combined.

You must not realize that Allan Jones has a net worth up there around or over $1 Billion.....

What exactly is a proven winner? We hired one of those once; remember Majors.
"Proven winners" in the coaching ranks seem to work just about the same as "proven winners" in horse racing. It's all about karma and the pieces fitting together at some mystical point in time.

If success depended only on proven winners then the same teams would have it all locked up every year, and historically that's been very rare. And dynasties built around a proven winner would never falter - they could only get stronger with time.

Do you ever read your own stuff??

Saban is a proven winner--4 NC in how many years? And he probably should have 2 more....

Meyer wins consistently....
Bob Stoops won consistently....
Dabo wins consistently...
Jimbo Fisher wins consistently....
Chris Petersen wins consistently...
Hairball wins consistently...
Franklin at PSU wins consistently....
Spurrier won consistently....
General Neyland won consistently...

Bear Bryant was a proven winner....

Nobody wins the NC every year...but all of those guys have a win % near 70% or above.....

That's a proven winner....:salute:

And yes....those types of guys are rare....

VN Store

Back