Better Call Saul

All those questions about regret and Time Machine-- "Saul" seemed like a snake even compared to Walt and Mike. In the end, he got what he deserved, but he was also redeemed.

Lots of people wanted ending like Breaking bad. but this show has always been a character study. I am satisfied.

Reactions: StarRaider
All those questions about regret and Time Machine-- "Saul" seemed like a snake even compared to Walt and Mike. In the end, he got what he deserved, but he was also redeemed.

Lots of people wanted ending like Breaking bad. but this show has always been a character study. I am satisfied.

I wanted to Saul to get away, but I liked the ending.

Reactions: StarRaider
What were you expecting?

I thought the time machine scenes were completely unnecessary and they just wanted to throw in Mike and Walter one last time. The negotiations with the feds and him asking for ice cream was so over the top and stupid. The fact that he blew up a seven year sentence to spill his guts to save Kim from a lawsuit that she could bankrupt. The confession and clearing his conscience to the court was so anti Sliipping Jimmy/Better Call Saul. I think death or escape was the only fitting ending to this show. Just my opinion.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
I thought the time machine scenes were completely unnecessary and they just wanted to throw in Mike and Walter one last time. The negotiations with the feds and him asking for ice cream was so over the top and stupid. The fact that he blew up a seven year sentence to spill his guts to save Kim from a lawsuit that she could bankrupt. The confession and clearing his conscience to the court was so anti Sliipping Jimmy/Better Call Saul. I think death or escape was the only fitting ending to this show. Just my opinion.

I don't think it was anti-Jimmy at all. The time machine scenes were put in to show that forever on the surface Jimmy/Saul has been all about looking out for #1. As Mike said, "it's always about money." and with Walt's scene he said "So you've always been this." Compare that to the scene of him and Chuck where he is actually doing something for someone else that he doesn't have to do, and he's doing it for his brother who has treated him like an inferior his whole adult life. Those 3 scenes together show that yeah he's a selfish prick most of the time but there's also a conscience deep inside, a person that actually thinks of others and sacrifices when he doesn't have to.

And that's why the ending works. IMO "death" would be completely anti-Jimmy, he's always been about survival. But there was never going to be escape. Why would escape be a satisfying end, he already did that and proved he couldn't stay away and that ulitmately he was his own worst enemy. The ice cream thing was supposd to be over the top and silly, and fits his character pretty spot on.

While I'm kind of against giving an award for a career when it's supposed to be for one season/movie, if Odenkirk doesn't win the Best Actor Emmy this final time for this role it will be the biggest snub since Steve Carell never winning an Emmy for Michael Scott. I'm hoping he goes out like Jon Hamm did with Draper.

Reactions: bamawriter

They were showing that Jimmy was the most resistant to change, but in the end, even he did.

My only complaint was that I didn't get why and when he changed? Was it when he almost murdered Carol Burnett? Was it when he found out Kim confessed (why would that change him?)? I was confused by that but I was glad for it. Now I can feel good about Jimmy again, and that's the best part of the finale.

It wasn't great but it was good enough. IDK what else they could have done to have a more satisfying ending. There is probably a more appropriate ending, but would I like that more?

They were showing that Jimmy was the most resistant to change, but in the end, even he did.

My only complaint was that I didn't get why and when he changed? Was it when he almost murdered Carol Burnett? Was it when he found out Kim confessed (why would that change him?)? I was confused by that but I was glad for it. Now I can feel good about Jimmy again, and that's the best part of the finale.

It wasn't great but it was good enough. IDK what else they could have done to have a more satisfying ending. There is probably a more appropriate ending, but would I like that more?
Jimmy has regrets. He doesn't have regrets about who he is (as Saul) or what he did as a criminal-lawyer. His regret is that he is capable of (and has) destroying people. Chuck wasn't nice to Jimmy. I found Chuck irritating and demeaning to Jimmy. But he was his brother. Didn't matter. Jimmy will take everything you love and strip it from you (Chuck and the law). And Saul moves on without any burden of guilt. Howard had his unlikable moments but he was nicer to Jimmy than Chuck. He evened offered Jimmy a job. Howard was also a decent human being even though he lives in a strained marriage. Didn't matter because once Saul set his sights on Howard, then destruction was his future. Those regrets prompted him to take a new approach with Kim. His witness stand confession was truthful. But his motivation was to NOT burn it down to the ground with Kim like he did others.
Jimmy is serving his time in prison. He got what he deserved. But he isn't confined to an internal prison of shame and guilt at least where Kim is concerned. He has an internal peace. His face was relaxed on the bus and working in the prison bakery. He is a peace smoking with Kim. And we get to see him "enjoying" the results of his different approach with Kim as she is walking out of the prison and he watches.
Mike knew who he was the moment he took the bribe in 1984. He regretted that moment but made no effort to change from then on. He only got more corrupted. Walter regretted leaving Gray Matter but never sought to change his selfishness. In fact, he actively pursued his own narcissism regardless of who had to be harmed or killed to further it.
Jimmy changed his pattern. He decided to stop the actions which gave him regrets. That's why he changed his name from Saul back to Jimmy at the end.

Jimmy has regrets. He doesn't have regrets about who he is (as Saul) or what he did as a criminal-lawyer. His regret is that he is capable of (and has) destroying people. Chuck wasn't nice to Jimmy. I found Chuck irritating and demeaning to Jimmy. But he was his brother. Didn't matter. Jimmy will take everything you love and strip it from you (Chuck and the law). And Saul moves on without any burden of guilt. Howard had his unlikable moments but he was nicer to Jimmy than Chuck. He evened offered Jimmy a job. Howard was also a decent human being even though he lives in a strained marriage. Didn't matter because once Saul set his sights on Howard, then destruction was his future. Those regrets prompted him to take a new approach with Kim. His witness stand confession was truthful. But his motivation was to NOT burn it down to the ground with Kim like he did others.
Jimmy is serving his time in prison. He got what he deserved. But he isn't confined to an internal prison of shame and guilt at least where Kim is concerned. He has an internal peace. His face was relaxed on the bus and working in the prison bakery. He is a peace smoking with Kim. And we get to see him "enjoying" the results of his different approach with Kim as she is walking out of the prison and he watches.
Mike knew who he was the moment he took the bribe in 1984. He regretted that moment but made no effort to change from then on. He only got more corrupted. Walter regretted leaving Gray Matter but never sought to change his selfishness. In fact, he actively pursued his own narcissism regardless of who had to be harmed or killed to further it.
Jimmy changed his pattern. He decided to stop the actions which gave him regrets. That's why he changed his name from Saul back to Jimmy at the end.

And it was a beautiful end to an amazing series

Really? Wow. When Walt says, “so you’ve always been like this.” That was a profound scene.

There was one profound scene after the next in this epsiode. Walt, Mike. I mean it was incredible how it conlcuded with Jimmy finally becoming free of this internal struggle he's had throughout the series. The regrets portion of the episode helpsn remind us that it's never too late to change even if everyone else thinks it is.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
The “Walter” and “Mike” scenes reflected how Jimmy was perceived by others and probably indicated he was thinking about those moments during his transition to performing a selfless act to help Kim out. I liked the way it turned out. What would be over the top or in fact redundant is to have Jimmy go in a blaze of glory or perform an unlikely Houdini act to escape. I think the series stayed good and top notch to the very end.
“El Camino” had a similar subtle ending. Were you disappointed that Jesse didn’t get killed.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
While I'm kind of against giving an award for a career when it's supposed to be for one season/movie, if Odenkirk doesn't win the Best Actor Emmy this final time for this role it will be the biggest snub since Steve Carell never winning an Emmy for Michael Scott. I'm hoping he goes out like Jon Hamm did with Draper.
Also Rhea Seehorn. Amazing performance the last season and throughout the whole series.

Reactions: ENGRVOL and JCP201

VN Store

Back