Beer (and beer pics!)

Had a great beer yesterday, Zes Zes Zes, a collaboration with Three Floyds and de Molen. A Farmhouse style, that borders closer to IPA with its Grapefruit/citric hop notes and counters with a nice spicyness. You can order it online with some other great beers at a website I'll divulge later. Well, after I order more anyways.

I didn't think you could have alcohol delivered in the state of TN. Did the law change? If so, I'm stoked.

That would be awesome if I drank beer for the sole purpose of getting drunk.

Agreed. Can't and won't drink the piss water. Tried Calf Killer Brown Recluse last weekend, very nice. Had the Dark Earth as well, very nice chocolate stout.

I didn't think you could have alcohol delivered in the state of TN. Did the law change? If so, I'm stoked.

It's all about interpretation of the law. Check out places like Bruisin ales, Lets Pour and 20 West Wines for starters. I've had plenty of beer delivered to me.

Just went to their site. My sister lives there so I can save on shipping. So many choices, just feel like throwing a dart. I'm really in an Abbey phase right now. Trippels and Quads.

I went through the same phase. Quads are still a favorite, my fridge has many of them. I would say IPAs, Quads and English Barleywines are my favorites right now. Although sours are really developing for me right now too.

I went through the same phase. Quads are still a favorite, my fridge has many of them. I would say IPAs, Quads and English Barleywines are my favorites right now. Although sours are really developing for me right now too.

Have not ventured into the sours. What do you recommend? I also love a good German Dopplebock.

Sours, I would start with Saisons, milds and wilds before hitting the lambics, krieks and gueuze.

Oh. I've had those, just never heard them referred to as sours. Can you recommend a Saison you like? I like saison rue from the Bruery. Never had a gueuze though, but really like a lambic krieks. New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin has a nice framboise.

Oh. I've had those, just never heard them referred to as sours. Can you recommend a Saison you like? I like saison rue from the Bruery. Never had a gueuze though, but really like a lambic krieks. New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin has a nice framboise.

Funkwerks and Crooked Stave are making awesome stuff from the Denver area. New Glarus is top notch as well. Cantillon is usually thought of as the best, although I've only had two offerings.

Last edited:
Funkwerks and Crooked Stave are making awesome stuff from the Denver area. New Glarus is top notch as well. Cantillon is usually though of as the best, although I've only had two offerings.

Do you know of anywhere to get new glarus besides driving to Wisconsin? Also, I saw Bruisin' Ales website and they did not list TN as a non ship to state because of laws. Hope that's the case for other placed you mentioned.

Do you know of anywhere to get new glarus besides driving to Wisconsin? Also, I saw Bruisin' Ales website and they did not list TN as a non ship to state because of laws. Hope that's the case for other placed you mentioned.

Beer trade, no where else is distributed to. Handy tool is seekabrew.com. I've ordered from Bruisin several times. Ive probably ordered from at least ten different sites with no problems.

Bridgeport India Pale has cracked my top 5 beers. Love this stuff.
That's definitely their flagship. If you can come across Hop Czar, get it.

A few updates...

Portland 2012 Holiday Ale Festival was outstanding. Giant heated tent in the middle of Pioneer Square (aka Portland's living room) and some amazing rare selections from breweries both local and national.

4155736956_a0876503f4.jpg

I made three trips overall, here are some brief published tasting notes from my favorites:

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Prepare To Be Boarded
Stout • ABV: 8.1% • IBUs: 50 • O.G.: 20.5° • F.G.: 5.0°
This barrel aged stout is rich with the flavors of molasses and spices of the East Indies and the Caribbean, the same spices that enriched the coffers of empires (and pirates) during the 17th and 18th centuries. Including allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and mace, this true "pirate stout" is as black as coal and will put you in the right holiday spirit. Avast, matey, and a ho ho ho!

Bison Brewing Co.
Organic Cocoa Bretta
Stout • ABV: 7.0% • IBUs: 26 • O.G.: 15.5° • F.G.: 3.0°
Cocoa-Bretta is an organic collaboration cheer that combines Bison's award winning Chocolate Stout and Logsdon Farmhouse Ales' Bretta. This stout beer was brewed with cocoa, multiple yeasts, finished with strains of Brettanoymces, and then keg conditioned with pear juice.

BridgePort Brewing Co.
Oak-Aged Old Knucklehead
Barley Wine • ABV: 9.2% • IBUs: 50 • O.G.: 22.0° • F.G.: 6.0°
Generous amounts of NW pale, caramel and chocolate malts were blended with English Goldings kettle hops and Willamette Valley Cascade and Chinook Hopjack hops. It was brewed in small batches, fermented, and then aged on American white oak. The oak aging imparted caramel and vanilla flavors to complement the bold and smooth malt flavors and unique hop character of this true NW ale.

Coalition Brewing Co.
The Lost Glove
Strong Ale • ABV: 8.4% • IBUs: 60 • O.G.: 20.0° • F.G.: 3.8°
Both English and American base malts give this beer its hefty ABV, while British brown malt and Chilean caramel malt lend it color and sweetness. Five different hops give a complex but approachable hop profile to balance out the malty sweetness. A high alpha hop varietal, Nugget, is used for bittering. Tettnanger and Cascade round out the middle, while a blend of the three make up the hop back.

Columbia River Brewing Co.
Stumblers Chocolate Cherry Stout
Stout • ABV: 8.0% • IBUs: 58 • O.G.: 19.1° • F.G.: 4.8°
The Columbia River brewers took their double award-winning Stumblers Stout and winterized it, giving it a higher ABV plus the addition of cocoa nibs and Oregon tart cherries.

Deschutes Brewery
The Abyss (2007-2010 Vertical Offering)
Imperial Stout • ABV: 11.0%
Brewed with licorice and molasses and 33% aged in French Oak and Oak Bourbon barrels, it's dark, deep and mysterious. This special brew has immeasurable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich, complex profile. The flavor of molasses and licorice draw you in further and further with each sip. The Abyss beckons. Enjoy the journey.

Deschutes Brewery
Imperial Smoked Porter
Porter • ABV: 10.0% • IBUs: 50
This strong porter features a solid smoke presence, a rich malt character and a smooth, rounded mouthfeel. Additions of dark muscovado sugar, oats and wheat contribute to its complexity.

Deschutes Brewery
Lost Barrels of Mirror Mirror (2009)
Oak-Aged Barley Wine • ABV: 10.7% • IBUs: 51
As part of the Reserve Series, the brewers discovered some "lost" barrels hidden in the back corner of the warehouse. They set aside this special 100% barrel-aged version of Mirror Mirror for occasions such as the Holiday Ale Festival. Lucky you!

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Raison D'Etre
Belgian Ale • ABV: 8.0% • IBUs: 25
This deep mahogany Belgian style brown ale was brewed with beet sugar, raisins and Belgian style yeast, resulting in a beer that's as complex as a fine red wine.

Fort George Brewery
The Three Wisemen
Other • ABV: 9.9% • O.G.: 23.2° • F.G.: 5.0°
The Three Wisemen honor the holiday tradition of gifting: in this case, gifting your liver an Imperial oatmeal stout that has been lovingly conditioned in Bourbon, Tequila and Rum barrels, then brought back together to form a wonderfully warming, cunningly complex and graciously gratifying Yuletide elixir.

Full Sail Brewing Co.
Black Gold (2011)
Stout • ABV: 11.4% • IBUs: 35 • O.G.: 23.6° • F.G.: 3.3°
Initially brewed in February 2010, a portion of the batch was reserved and aged for almost a year in 18-year-old Bourbon casks from Kentucky. This extended aging presents hints of vanilla and allows the stout to pick up the flavors of the wood, Bourbon and oak. It has a strong roasted malt character and a full body. Chocolate and caramel nuances blend with the hops for a smooth finish.

Gigantic Brewing
Old Man Gower's Holiday Tipple
Winter Ale • ABV: 7.1% • IBUs: 40 • O.G.: 18.0° • F.G.: 4.0°
The recipe for this malty, caramel holiday beer was passed down to the brewer by Old Man Gower. According to the brewer, "It was Christmas Eve in the drunk tank. An old man said to me, 'Won't see another one.' And then we sang a song, The Rare Old Mountain Dew. I turned my face away, and he told me about this brew."

Gilgamesh Brewing Co.
Blitz 'N' Prancer
Belgian Ale • ABV: 9.0% • IBUs: 6 • O.G.: 20.8° • F.G.: 3.5°
This spiced Belgian-style ale was brewed in the spirit of holiday breads. Dark roasted malts and large quantities of molasses make a robust and slightly sweet body. Light hopping and spicing from vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg create a festive finish.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.
JIM (2008)
Strong Blend • ABV: 10.0%
A Holiday Ale/HotD collaboration honoring the late Jim Kennedy, this is a blend of Hair of the Dog beers Adam of the Wood aged 4 months in wet Elija Craig bourbon barrels, Fred of the Wood aged in new American oak, Blue Dot for hop nose and Doggie Claws for balance, with a touch of 2003 Samichlaus and 2007 Chimay Grand Reserve.

Lagunitas Brewing Co.
Olde Gnarly Wine (2010)
Barley Wine • ABV: 10.6% • IBUs: 69 • O.G.: 24.0°
Making a Mondo Ultra Mega Super Premium barley wine is a little like having a kid. The first part is fun and messy, it takes a while to ferment, and then a little longer to mature. It is expensive and takes of a lot of space. You worry about how it'll grow up and whether or not you'll still be friends. Eventually, it stays out all night and comes home with its skirt on backwards. You know how it is...

Lompoc Brewing
Francl'y Brewdolph (2011)
Belgian Ale • ABV: 7.6% • O.G.: 17.5° • F.G.: 3.0°
This Belgian style red ale was brewed in October 2011 with the Belgian Ardennes yeast strain, then aged for a year in Cabernet Franc barrels. The resulting beer has a malty and creamy body.

New Belgium Brewing Co.
Frambozen
Belgian Ale • ABV: 6.5% • IBUs: 16 • O.G.: 16.0° • F.G.: 2.8°
This beer begins with the aroma of fresh red raspberries, followed by the ripe seductiveness of a fruity brown ale with depth and delicate malt notes. It is deep ruby in color, with flavors just as rich. Every year, New Belgium sends a delegate to the Pacific Northwest to oversee the process of turning freshly picked berries into a pure juice to be added in fermentation.

Ninkasi Brewing Co.
Ancient Ale-iens
CDA • ABV: 6.9% • IBUs: 60 • O.G.: 17.0° • F.G.: 4.5°
Honoring of the end of the Mayan calendar and celebrating the last beer festival of modern civilization, this beer is deep mahogany hued and has a clean, toasted malt profile that finishes with a bright citrus and floral hop presence. The addition of chocolate nibs from Theo Chocolates in Seattle and Guatemalan coffee from Water Avenue Coffee in Portland imparts a rich flavor with perceived bitterness from the hops, chocolate and coffee.

Oakshire Brewing
Very Ill Tempered Gnome
Strong Ale • ABV: 9.0% • IBUs: 80 • O.G.: 19.8° • F.G.: 4.0°
Oakshire took its Ill Tempered Gnome and turned it up to 11! Well, 9% at least. With more malt, more hops and more flavorful goodness, you'll want to seek out this rare and limited Imperial winter ale. VITG has a complex malt profile of caramel, light fruit and toasty nuts and is backed up by a warming alcohol presence and a bold citrus hop blast.

Rogue Ales Brewery
Brew 15,000
Belgian Ale • ABV: 6.5% • IBUs: 44 • O.G.: 16.0° • F.G.: 4.5°
A very limited, strong, dark ale, it is John Maier's 15,000th brew, and Rogue originally brewed just 1,515 bottles, all of which were autographed by the Master Brewer himself. The brew pours a frothy, dark beige head which gives it a beautiful appearance. You may taste a lingering fruity ester from the Belgian yeast. It's got a smoky, roasty flavor, and a slight edge of mint.

Stone Brewing Co.
Suitable For Cave Aging (2011)
Porter • ABV: 9.0% • IBUs: 53
Stone's Imperial porter, a tribute to Danny Williams, pours an opaque dark brown with aromas of dark roasted malt, cocoa, vanilla, Bourbon and wood. The taste is much the same, with a woody finish and a Bourbon kick with each sip. The smoke comes out as the beer opens up, but it's never too strong.

Walking Man Brewing Co.
Santa's Little Black Homo
CDA • ABV: 6.8% • IBUs: 60 • O.G.: 15.0° • F.G.: 2.0°
This spiced CDA is Big Black Homo's jolly little brother. It was brewed with jovial caramel and black malts to provide a jubilant malty character that mirthfully mingles with Summit and Centennial hops. A festive whack of cinnamon sticks were thrown into the kettle, and freshly cracked allspice berries were added during fermentation to further cheer this merry mutha up! Jingle THAT Santa!

Widmer Brothers Brewing Co.
Brrrbon Vanilla - Cask Strength
IPA • ABV: 10.5% • IBUs: 78 • O.G.: 20.0° • F.G.: 2.8°
Rich oak and vanilla aromas dominate this Imperial Red IPA with hints of dark chocolate and caramel. The Bourbon flavors accentuate the subtle sweetness from the vanilla, giving this beer a deep complexity and balance. An earthy fullness makes this beer the perfect winter warmer.

Milo, did you like the Mirror Mirror? I think that's a different version as the original is a blend of barrel aged and non barrel. One of my favorite beers.

Brother was in town, probably led to a bit more than I would usually have. Last night's beers:

Three Floyds Calumet Queen- Started off light with this Kolsch. Not a style I'm crazy about, but I enjoyed it.

Pike Brewing Auld Acquaintance- Nicely spiced "winter warmer". I kid because a winter warmer should have a better alcohol burn, but not surprised at only 5.5%

Elevation Beer Company Signal De Botrange- A chardonnay barrel aged saison that was the hit of the night. I like the ski signage that indicates the complexity of their beers. This one was their "Double Black Diamond."

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast- Doesn't really need an introduction, but after having the cognac version, I was left a little disappointed.

No-Li Born & Raised- IPA that was somewhat a bit biscuity for my tastes. An average offering IMO.

Wow...haven't been on in awhile...

*926...how did you like the warmer?

*Pliny is awesome...but might like Blind Pig better.

*Saisons...Fantôme. Nuff said. What they do.

Picked this up yesterday...bad photo, great beer....

AB1B8689-9621-4FB9-82BA-1BB93C4A2325-39703-00000F66ACF34D82_zps72eb2485.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...haven't been on in awhile...

*926...how did you like the warmer?

*Pliny is awesome...but might like Blind Pig better.

*Saisons...Fantôme. Nuff said. What they do.

Picked this up yesterday...bad photo, great beer....

AB1B8689-9621-4FB9-82BA-1BB93C4A2325-39703-00000F66ACF34D82_zps72eb2485.jpg
Had a great time at the Warmer, enjoyed last years better but that's nashvilles fault from what I understood. Wouldn't let the guest series participate. I missed Black Abbey mostly.

Yeah, they didn't come right out and say "no home brewers allowed" but they hinted around it wondering allowed about the legality and using words like "trafficking". The organizer just felt that he shouldn't challenge anything since he has other stuff coming up. Don't think you can expect to see any home brewers at festivals for awhile. Black abbey guys were there, just their beer wasn't.

Enjoy By 12-21-12 was a fantastic beer. Lived up to the hype and it's been a while since Stone released a new label that I've been blown away by.

VN Store

Back