BCS playoffs???

Your kidding, if you add a playoff you are going to eliminate some of the bowls. So a 6-6 team might not get in!!! Wouldn't that be nice. We would be watching Ohio St. vs. Connecticutt instead of Tennessee vs North Carolina. Wow

Thats why I said still do everything they do now, but after the winners of ALL bowls EVEN the 6-6 teams and conference champions would go into a playoff season then the NC.

Someone would get left out in a playoff and the whining would still continue.... Does the best team actually ever win the NCAA basketball championship :?.... The best team in football wouldn't win every year either.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Does the best or second best team win in football now?

The only way a playoff could physically be done and successful is if it consists of Conference Champions ONLY. If you take the top 8 of the standings then 9 and 10 will say they were left out. Same with the top 16 or the top 32. Make 12/16 team super conferences and let the champions play out in a tournament.

The only way a playoff could physically be done and successful is if it consists of Conference Champions ONLY. If you take the top 8 of the standings then 9 and 10 will say they were left out. Same with the top 16 or the top 32. Make 12/16 team super conferences and let the champions play out in a tournament.
^^^^^^^^

Boise ruined the reasoning for a playoff this year IMO....
I think Auburn would have hung 50 or 60 on them if they met in the title, same way with TCU, although their defense is actually pretty good.
I predict TCU gets killed by Wisconsin, and maybe all this non-AQ crying over not getting into the big dance will stop.

and what if TCU hangs 40+ and wins?
then we have AGAIN 2 (and sometimes more) undefeated teams.
we should have playoffs...if not..then college football should play until only 1 team has the best record.plus 1 or 2 or 3.
you can not decide a NC when there are more than one team with the same record.....IE 98..UT should have played one more game.
if TCU wins...they should have to play the winner of the AU/OU game.
it's fair.

ok, you "make" them create this super conference and then we'll create a playoff. Knock yourself out.

way too much thinking going on here. Only teams in a playoff should be the Conference champions. That way season games still matter. And all conferences Must Have a championship game. Seed them how you want,keep traditional match ups intact. Really easy. Other team fill rest of the bowls.

well the problem with this is...the big 10 had 3 champs.
the WAC had 3 champs. how do you do a playoff?
and don't say the BCS rankings...because when we do get a playoff...their will be no BCS.

All of you out there screaming for a playoff, please tell me why? You do know that if we had a playoff Tennessee would not be in a bowl this year. Would that make you happy?

Also, don't you see how great the whole season is in Div1 college FB? The season in itself is a season long playoff, making every weekend a playoff weekend.

What are you searching for, an at large team, a conf 2nd place team becoming National Champion. Do you want to see a Boise State or TCU get blown out in the BCS Championship game. Since the BCS has been in place (12 years) the winner has few arguments to the claim as National Champion.

Tell me please what would a playoff do, except dilute the regular season, destroy the excitement of a team like Tennessee winning 4 in a row to become bowl eligible, allow for 2nd place teams to get a third chance at a national championship. Would you like to see Auburn have to beat South Carolina 3 times to become National Champion, or are you wanting all 3 11-1 Big11 teams with a chance. WAKE UP don't dilute the greatest season of all DIVISION I College Football!!!

so..if the "whole season" in Div1 is a playoff....at what point did TCU lose? they do have the same record as OU and AU.
why do they get left out?

and do you know for a fact that Boise or TCU would in fact get blown out?

and don't say the BCS rankings...because when we do get a playoff...their will be no BCS.
This is why Im sayin to use the bowl winners too

ahhhh...so take all the bowl winners...and do a playoff with them?...now that is an idea!!!
I like that.
Bowl winners, Conference winners=playoffs
Would be very interesting and fair to me. Could have a 6-6 team like use win out

Technically they only had 1 champion in Wisconsin and Nevada but I do see what you're saying. Hints why i mentioned above about complete conferences or "super conferences" where you would have a north/south or east/west division where the winners would play in a conference championship game and thus move forward to a National Title Tournament.

Its just not fair when you have so many undefeated teams. Its like their whole season is a waste. We all say well look who they played. They should get a chance to show why they are undefeated and play til they lose regardless of schedule strength. Who is to say they aren't the better team, but don't get picked b/c the BCS ppl don't like their schedule strength.Also Whats the point of a bowl game if you cant go any farther. I mean it's great, yeah, but their should be more of a reward for a bowl winner. A PLAYOFF berth

16 team playoffs. The conference winner from each major conference gets an automatic bid and then fill the rest of the spots based on ranking.

Week 1: Top 8 seeds play the bottom 8 with the top 8 getting home field advantage for the first round.

Week 2: The surviving 8 teams play each other in the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls with top 4 seeds playing the bottom 4.

Week 3: The "final four" teams play at one designated neutral spot one Saturday with the championship game to be played the following Saturday.

All other bowls continue to be played like before, using teams that did not make the playoffs to fill the spots.

And for those who think the regular season won't mean as much, that's nonsense. Teams would still need to play for either that conference championship or at least a high enough ranking to make the playoffs. The regular season games would at least mean AS much, if not more than before.

Last edited:
Heard a Jeff Passan interview earlier this week (every fan of college football needs to read this book), and he seems convinced that we will see at least a plus one by 2015.

Even conservative estimates of a 4, 8 or 16 team playoff say it will earn many, many times what the BCS currently does, but the problem is there are too many people making too much easy money off these bowl games (in effect robbing universities) who will fight to keep it in place.

I made post about having 16 team playoff and got blasted and i'm sure i'll get blasted again, but bowl games are pointless exhibition games a la the nfl preseason except these take place after the season. And you'll never convince me that there are only 2 teams who should be playing for the championship.

First, any playoff must be administered by the NCAA (this is NCAA football,after all). Run it the same way you do basketball: 11 conference champions in what is currently the fcs receive automatic berths and have 5 at large bids. You would still have your conference championship games. Under this format, the regular season conference schedule is just as important. With only 5 at large bids, the importance of your our of conference schedule is also not dimenshed.

So I guess you guys just couldn't stand to see the Birmingham/Liberty/Independence/New Mexico Bowls die. I guess that's cool.

I made post about having 16 team playoff and got blasted and i'm sure i'll get blasted again, but bowl games are pointless exhibition games a la the nfl preseason except these take place after the season. And you'll never convince me that there are only 2 teams who should be playing for the championship.

First, any playoff must be administered by the NCAA (this is NCAA football,after all). Run it the same way you do basketball: 11 conference champions in what is currently the fcs receive automatic berths and have 5 at large bids. You would still have your conference championship games. Under this format, the regular season conference schedule is just as important. With only 5 at large bids, the importance of your our of conference schedule is also not dimenshed.

Yep, you're right - you'll get blasted.

If you think bowls are nothing more than "pointless exibitions" then it doesnt matter what idea you have because you dont have a clue about college football.

The post season bowls are about one thing and one thing only - money. Its just like any other business. The primary objective is money and the product they sell is a football game. Is McDonalds objective to sell the best burger? no. Their objective is to make money by selling burgers. Bowls are no different.

Sure there are estimates that a playoff would make money but that's all they are. Estimates only. There were also estimates that New Coke would crush Pepsi too. There is no guarantee a playoff will make as much or more. Has anyone guaranteed it will make more? no. People say they guarantee but that's only lip service. A true guarantee means they promise X will happen and if it doesnt they will do Y to make up for X not happening. No tv, no group, no business has stepped up and said they'll back it financially if it doesnt make as much or more. Without it their statement is just empty and useless. In fact has there been one bowl say they want to be a part of a playoff? no, in fact the Rose Bowl said they want no part of it.

Put is simply if you or any backer of a playoff think you know more about the full scope of post season college football than the 120 college presidents of institutions of higher learning with departments of accounting, economics, and public administration which teach undergraduate, masters, and doctorate programs of each and have students and professors at their immediately beckoning call, you are sadly mistaken. Not one person has been able to present a proposal that ensures the same or more money. Even the recent proposal of a plus one was shot down. Why? because the cost of moving to a playoff far exceeds any benefit. Just face it - until someone or some organization actually backs up their gurantee you better enjoy the bowls. You'll sleep better.

Well, I'm in the minority against playoffs, but I don't think you can compare the FCS or whatever they call them now to the big schools. Their Athletic Departments don't market the programs like the FBS does.

I would like to see the old school bowl system, where only conference champs were tied to bowls and everything else was by invitation. Then, two weeks later, play a national championship between the top two teams in America.

16 team playoffs. The conference winner from each major conference gets an automatic bid and then fill the rest of the spots based on ranking.

Week 1: Top 8 seeds play the bottom 8 with the top 8 getting home field advantage for the first round.

Week 2: The surviving 8 teams play each other in the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls with top 4 seeds playing the bottom 4.

Week 3: The "final four" teams play at one designated neutral spot one Saturday with the championship game to be played the following Saturday.

All other bowls continue to be played like before, using teams that did not make the playoffs to fill the spots.

And for those who think the regular season won't mean as much, that's nonsense. Teams would still need to play for either that conference championship or at least a high enough ranking to make the playoffs. The regular season games would at least mean AS much, if not more than before.

So wipe the Cotton, Citrus, Gator, Outback, and Holiday bowls off the map? That's what your proposal would do.

So wipe the Cotton, Citrus, Gator, Outback, and Holiday bowls off the map? That's what your proposal would do.

Go back and read my post again. I clearly stated that ALL other bowls would continue to be played like before, including the Cotton, Citrus, Gator, Outback, and Holiday bowls. These mid-major bowls would consist of the remaining top 25 teams. The lower tier bowls would consist of teams outside the top 25.

Remember, my proposed playoffs would only consist of the 11 conference winners and 5 "at large" bids based on ranking. That leaves a LOT of ranked teams avaliable for the other bowls. It would not diminish the other bowls whatsoever. Those teams would still go and their fan bases would still travel to see them.

Last edited:
Yep, you're right - you'll get blasted.

If you think bowls are nothing more than "pointless exibitions" then it doesnt matter what idea you have because you dont have a clue about college football.

The post season bowls are about one thing and one thing only - money. Its just like any other business. The primary objective is money and the product they sell is a football game. Is McDonalds objective to sell the best burger? no. Their objective is to make money by selling burgers. Bowls are no different.

Sure there are estimates that a playoff would make money but that's all they are. Estimates only. There were also estimates that New Coke would crush Pepsi too. There is no guarantee a playoff will make as much or more. Has anyone guaranteed it will make more? no. People say they guarantee but that's only lip service. A true guarantee means they promise X will happen and if it doesnt they will do Y to make up for X not happening. No tv, no group, no business has stepped up and said they'll back it financially if it doesnt make as much or more. Without it their statement is just empty and useless. In fact has there been one bowl say they want to be a part of a playoff? no, in fact the Rose Bowl said they want no part of it.

Put is simply if you or any backer of a playoff think you know more about the full scope of post season college football than the 120 college presidents of institutions of higher learning with departments of accounting, economics, and public administration which teach undergraduate, masters, and doctorate programs of each and have students and professors at their immediately beckoning call, you are sadly mistaken. Not one person has been able to present a proposal that ensures the same or more money. Even the recent proposal of a plus one was shot down. Why? because the cost of moving to a playoff far exceeds any benefit. Just face it - until someone or some organization actually backs up their gurantee you better enjoy the bowls. You'll sleep better.

Right, they are pointless exhibition games that pay well. And the presidents are only concerned with looking out for themselves and no have no interest in a just system for all member schools (see Ohio States Presidents recent comments about Boise State). I don't blame them for wanting to keep the flow of income, but that doesn't make it right. The current system does not provide any legitimacy. In affect, these are self appointed champions and runners up.

Finally, as others have stated, a 16 team playoff wouldn't bring the end to bowl games. They would be football's version of the NIT, which is what they should be.

VN Store

Back