BCS playoffs???

KingtUT

I reign supreme!
Wondering how many of the people pushing for a playoff are watching the Division1 playoffs on TV now? Does anyone know whos in the playoffs? Does the BCS look at the ratings drawn by the playoff system in place as an argument why we shouldnt go to a playoff system?

It's the FCS playoffs....you can't compare FCS ratings to FBS ratings.....

Well, I'm in the minority against playoffs, but I don't think you can compare the FCS or whatever they call them now to the big schools. Their Athletic Departments don't market the programs like the FBS does.

Wouldnt the best anti-BCS argument be to start watching the playoffs regardless of the classifications and to quit supporting the BCS?

I just wish playoffs were in effect in the FCS. I think it's a weak argument that "it can't work in this division" when it works everywhere else just fine, all the way from pee-wee to NFL, EXCEPT D-1A. The real story is they don't want it to work (the university presidents--too much $$ at stake).

Well, I'm in the minority against playoffs, but I don't think you can compare the FCS or whatever they call them now to the big schools. Their Athletic Departments don't market the programs like the FBS does.

Im somewhat against playoffs, not totally though. I look at the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc and see that each game in the regular season has less importance to the season as a whole than NCAAF does. Whether it is or not, each week feels like a playoff to me.

Heard a Jeff Passan interview earlier this week (every fan of college football needs to read this book), and he seems convinced that we will see at least a plus one by 2015.

Even conservative estimates of a 4, 8 or 16 team playoff say it will earn many, many times what the BCS currently does, but the problem is there are too many people making too much easy money off these bowl games (in effect robbing universities) who will fight to keep it in place.

Im somewhat against playoffs, not totally though. I look at the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc and see that each game in the regular season has less importance to the season as a whole than NCAAF does. Whether it is or not, each week feels like a playoff to me.

I used to be of this mentality, but the amount of corruption that props the bowl system up is undeniable. Besides, you can't tell me that a mere 4 team playoff would take any importance off any regular season games.

Someone would get left out in a playoff and the whining would still continue.... Does the best team actually ever win the NCAA basketball championship :?.... The best team in football wouldn't win every year either.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I used to be of this mentality, but the amount of corruption that props the bowl system up is undeniable. Besides, you can't tell me that a mere 4 team playoff would take any importance off any regular season games.

I really dont know. What I do believe is that there should be a clear NC. I know this wouldnt work, but rather than a playoff game , Id just like to have a plus one if needed. If 2 teams end up undefeated, plus one. If the two top ranked teams end up with 1 loss, plus one. If only one team goes through the season undefeated, they deserve the NC, IMO.

Last edited:
Boise ruined the reasoning for a playoff this year IMO....
I think Auburn would have hung 50 or 60 on them if they met in the title, same way with TCU, although their defense is actually pretty good.
I predict TCU gets killed by Wisconsin, and maybe all this non-AQ crying over not getting into the big dance will stop.

I'd be perfectly happy if we had
- current bowl system
- #1 vs #4 in Rose, #2 vs #3 in Fiesta (rotate to Orange/Sugar the next year, Fiesta/Rose the next year, and Sugar/Orange the next year)
- play the semifinals on New Years Day
- play the other two BCS bowls plus some crap bowls in the week after New Years as they already do
- BCS championship game on the 8th (or thereabouts)

Basically, the only changes you need to make to what we have right now are (1) BCS championship isn't a separate bowl but rather a +1 game and (2) 1/4 and 2/3 seedings in 2 of the BCS bowls.

I'd be perfectly happy if we had
- current bowl system
- #1 vs #4 in Rose, #2 vs #3 in Fiesta (rotate to Orange/Sugar the next year, Fiesta/Rose the next year, and Sugar/Orange the next year)
- play the semifinals on New Years Day
- play the other two BCS bowls plus some crap bowls in the week after New Years as they already do
- BCS championship game on the 8th (or thereabouts)

Basically, the only changes you need to make to what we have right now are (1) BCS championship isn't a separate bowl but rather a +1 game and (2) 1/4 and 2/3 seedings in 2 of the BCS bowls.

I dont think an undefeated team should have to play a one loss team in a championship game. Seems like a penalty to me. Then if the undefeated team loses, should we play one more game if they both end up with one loss. If the original 1 loss team lost to the school of the blind in week two and the undefeated team loses to the number 2,3 or 4 ranked team in a championship game, is the team that lost to the school of the blind more deserving of the NC?

I think I just confused myself....but im not sure

Boise ruined the reasoning for a playoff this year IMO....
I think Auburn would have hung 50 or 60 on them if they met in the title, same way with TCU, although their defense is actually pretty good.
I predict TCU gets killed by Wisconsin, and maybe all this non-AQ crying over not getting into the big dance will stop.
Then what's the problem with a plus one? You just said the big boys would slaughter the mid majors....why not let them prove it on the field?

Then what's the problem with a plus one? You just said the big boys would slaughter the mid majors....why not let them prove it on the field?

problem is they could take the spot from a more deserving team.

I'm a huge supporter of the playoff system. I have a theory of how it should go.

Have an 8 team playoff, that equals 7 playoff games to establish a champion. That's basically seven bowl games. U go ahead and give 50 other teams bowl bids and that gives u 32 games, 58 teams eligible. Since bowl game winners and losers get huge payouts then when the 8 playoff teams play every time a school gets eliminated they are given their payoff. Each round they advance to gives them more payout ( much how bigger bowl games equal bigger payoffs) so the winner gets their biggest payoff, gets the crystal ball, teams still get bowl games, schools still make money and we get a more clearcut champion. Plus a few less teams go because it's getting ridiculous how many teams go, I mean u Dont even need to have a winning season these days u just need to be .500 in a good conference.

problem is they could take the spot from a more deserving team.
So taking the field from two to four shouldn't happen because one of the four might not be as deserving? A less deserving team would have to beat two "more deserving" teams to win a title, so that kind of negates the argument that said team was less deserving.

So taking the field from two to four shouldn't happen because one of the four might not be as deserving? A less deserving team would have to beat two "more deserving" teams to win a title, so that kind of negates the argument that said team was less deserving.

Just isnt fair. Those TCU's and Boise's should be healthier at the end of the season. A benefit of playing a weaker schedule. Take either team you want, put them in a BCS conference and we wouldnt even be having this conversation. Even the big least. JMO.

I did say earlier that I wouldnt be opposed to a plus one, if the two teams had the same record.

Last edited:
All of you out there screaming for a playoff, please tell me why? You do know that if we had a playoff Tennessee would not be in a bowl this year. Would that make you happy?

Also, don't you see how great the whole season is in Div1 college FB? The season in itself is a season long playoff, making every weekend a playoff weekend.

What are you searching for, an at large team, a conf 2nd place team becoming National Champion. Do you want to see a Boise State or TCU get blown out in the BCS Championship game. Since the BCS has been in place (12 years) the winner has few arguments to the claim as National Champion.

Tell me please what would a playoff do, except dilute the regular season, destroy the excitement of a team like Tennessee winning 4 in a row to become bowl eligible, allow for 2nd place teams to get a third chance at a national championship. Would you like to see Auburn have to beat South Carolina 3 times to become National Champion, or are you wanting all 3 11-1 Big11 teams with a chance. WAKE UP don't dilute the greatest season of all DIVISION I College Football!!!

ERTEL
Why do you not want to see a 6-6 Tennessee team in a bowl? Are you a real Vols fan? What would be so exciting about watching Boise St. vs. Mich St. over Tennessee-North Carolina? Division I college football is the greatest season of all. It is a season long playoff. Do you want a meaningless season like college basketball? Do want Auburn to have to beat South Carolina 3 times to become national champion? Think, don't be a lemming!!!

If people are so gung ho about a playoff then the best way to do it is prove to the 'AA that the money(ratings) will be there. AKA, put up or shut up.

There are so many that clamor for a playoff and saying "see, FCS does it" but fail to look at the entire picture.

Take away the ratings and look at the attendance. If you will look at every FCS school that has hosted a playoff game and look at that school's average home attendance for the year you will see that in there is a significant drop, sometimes up to 50%. The only exception has been Montana St who's attendance at last weeks game is the same with the avg regular season attendance. For all the hype on how exciting a playoff is it doesnt translate to the FCS.

These games arent even asking both teams to travel to neutral locations - these are home games and the fans dont come. Again, would a 'playoff' generate excitement? eh, sure but in only in the beginning. After the newness wore off the fans would chose to stay home and wait and the FCS shows this.

I could get onboard with a playoff, but they have to figure out a way to do it without sacrificing the intensity and importance of the regular season, which in college football is second to none. Here's one way I think would be possible.

The FBS could be slimmed down to 96 teams, who would then be divided into 8 12-team conferences with two divisions of 6 teams. Each would have a conference championship game with the winners of those games then advancing on to a final 8-team playoff. If qualifying for the NC playoff hinges soley on getting to and then winning a conference championship game, I don't think the regular season lose much if any of it's significance. Also, with this plan, each team would be given a fair shot at winning a national title, so Boise St. fans could finally stop their whining.

way too much thinking going on here. Only teams in a playoff should be the Conference champions. That way season games still matter. And all conferences Must Have a championship game. Seed them how you want,keep traditional match ups intact. Really easy. Other team fill rest of the bowls.

All of you out there screaming for a playoff, please tell me why? You do know that if we had a playoff Tennessee would not be in a bowl this year. Would that make you happy?

Also, don't you see how great the whole season is in Div1 college FB? The season in itself is a season long playoff, making every weekend a playoff weekend.

What are you searching for, an at large team, a conf 2nd place team becoming National Champion. Do you want to see a Boise State or TCU get blown out in the BCS Championship game. Since the BCS has been in place (12 years) the winner has few arguments to the claim as National Champion.

Tell me please what would a playoff do, except dilute the regular season, destroy the excitement of a team like Tennessee winning 4 in a row to become bowl eligible, allow for 2nd place teams to get a third chance at a national championship. Would you like to see Auburn have to beat South Carolina 3 times to become National Champion, or are you wanting all 3 11-1 Big11 teams with a chance. WAKE UP don't dilute the greatest season of all DIVISION I College Football!!!

Playoffs would have nothing to do with UT playing in a bowl.

VN Store

Back