Basketball Recruiting Discussion II

If they can pull together a nice 2019 class the table is really set for this program...2020 is set up very nicely for this staff and the development of B Maze’s AAU program is starting to coincide. I believe Pember ultimately goes 2020 so you’ve got a start on that class already, you’ve also got Rob Lanier’s son (Emory Lanier) playing for that program who will almost certainly opt to walk-on at UT. Obviously Keon Johnson has ties to the program, Jaden Springer is from NC but playing for B Maze’s AAU squad, Akeem Odusipe plays for Maze and lives in Knoxville, Jordan Rawls is from Chattanooga and playing for Hamilton Heights, also have Norrance Berry who’s from Cleveland, TN but is playing for Christ School and then his teammate Justice Ajogbor as well.

I like Akeem Odusipe's game a lot. He reminds me of a slightly taller Phil Cofer, and with a more rounded game with his back to the basket. Akeem may be a litter further a long too, it looks at the same point. Wonder if the blue bloods will get involved?

Also, did Pember get a ranking bump recently. Looking at our commitment list on 247, they have him as a 92. I thought last time I looked he was more like 85-86. 92 is 4th star territory isn't it?

I like Akeem Odusipe's game a lot. He reminds me of a slightly taller Phil Cofer, and with a more rounded game with his back to the basket. Akeem may be a litter further a long too, it looks at the same point. Wonder if the blue bloods will get involved?

Also, did Pember get a ranking bump recently. Looking at our commitment list on 247, they have him as a 92. I thought last time I looked he was more like 85-86. 92 is 4th star territory isn't it?

I show him as an 89.

I show him as an 89.

I can’t attach a pic but it’s from the Go Vols 247 class calculator page with our 19 commits. Shows 0.9289 imma round that up to 93!!! lol

Attachments

• 717FC3DD-EFEB-45BE-A6BF-4DC7254242F8.jpg
    717FC3DD-EFEB-45BE-A6BF-4DC7254242F8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 5
I can’t attach a pic but it’s from the Go Vols 247 class calculator page with our 19 commits. Shows 0.9289 imma round that up to 93!!! lol

Weird, his ranking is different too.

Attachments

• FF4504E6-4876-4BAC-AEFF-7C7DE90D88B7.jpg
    FF4504E6-4876-4BAC-AEFF-7C7DE90D88B7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2
Gaines’ ranking is different too on his page than in the one you posted. Score is the same...88.

I've noticed that before on 247. It's only been on their basketball side I've seen that happen, though. It's really weird and I'm not sure why the discrepancy.

Bored and got to looking at recent(halfway recent 1/18) Tre Mann articles. If it comes down to us and Florida, I think he’s definitely a Vol. Barnes is more proven to develop and get guys in the league than White so far, which is a big factor to him per the video in this one. I just hope he’s not blinded by the blue blood light if Kansas comes at him hard late.

2019 Villages G Tre Mann updates us on his recruiting | Prep Hoops

2020 Rivals rankings updated today, notables:

#13 Jaden Springer
#14 B.J. Boston
#26 Sharife Cooper
#37 Justice Ajogbor
#40 Keon Johnson

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like Jaden Springer visited back in January. Did we get in early enough there to have a real shot? Best guess

Unlike Isaiah Stewart and Josiah James for 2019 that we were in early on but faded as they blew up, we have a connection/in with Springer with Bobby Maze. I don’t think that necessarily will steer him to UT, but I do think it increases Tennessee’s chances of remaining involved and in contention for him.

Also will help that Tennessee will be slated to lose Jordan Bone, Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden...so in theory you should have a quality team with an attractive need at the 1/2.

Unlike Isaiah Stewart and Josiah James for 2019 that we were in early on but faded as they blew up, we have a connection/in with Springer with Bobby Maze. I don’t think that necessarily will steer him to UT, but I do think it increases Tennessee’s chances of remaining involved and in contention for him.

Also will help that Tennessee will be slated to lose Jordan Bone, Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden...so in theory you should have a quality team with an attractive need at the 1/2.

Liked B Haze the player, but starting to love B Haze the philanthropist.

Gonna be really fun to watch what they choose to do for 2020, tons of names out their with in-state or Tennessee ties...

Jaden Springer: #24 now on 247, plays for B Maze Elite which is coached by former Vol Bobby Maze, is a teammate of current Vol commit Drew Pember and next year will team up with Emory Lanier (assistant Rob Lanier’s son).

Keon Johnson: #28 now on 247, from Nashville area and plays for former Vol Mark Griffin’s AAU team, has been to campus multiple times.

Keon Ambrose: #62 now on 247, from Canada but is now at HHCA in Chattanooga where Tennessee team chaplain Chris Walker is an assistant coach....also plays AAU ball for B Maze Elite, and is a teammate of Emory Lanier (assistant Rob Lanier’s son).

Bayron Matos-Garcia: #128 now on 247, relatively unknown as he just arrived from the Dominican a couple of months ago. He’s now at HHCA and has quickly become a hot name garnering immediate offers from Florida and Dayton after attending team camps. His host family are huge Vol fans and he attends HHCA where Tennessee team chaplain Chris Walker is an assistant coach.

Akeem Odusipe- currently unranked but has offers from Auburn, Kansas State and Tennessee...has been playing up a class for B Maze Elite which should really benefit him come next season.

How many do we have to give out next yr?

Assuming we sign a full class this year, 4...Turner, Bone, Bowden and Williams. Have to factor Pember in there though as it seems he’s likely to be 2020, so 3 on paper but obviously always attrition.

Last edited:
Gonna be really fun to watch what they choose to do for 2020, tons of names out their with in-state or Tennessee ties...

Jaden Springer: #24 now on 247, plays for B Maze Elite which is coached by former Vol Bobby Maze, is a teammate of current Vol commit Drew Pember and next year will team up with Emory Lanier (assistant Rob Lanier’s son).

Keon Johnson: #28 now on 247, from Nashville area and plays for former Vol Mark Griffin’s AAU team, has been to campus multiple times.

Keon Ambrose: #62 now on 247, from Canada but is now at HHCA in Chattanooga where Tennessee team chaplain Chris Walker is an assistant coach....also plays AAU ball for B Maze Elite, and is a teammate of Emory Lanier (assistant Rob Lanier’s son).

Bayron Matos-Garcia: #128 now on 247, relatively unknown as he just arrived from the Dominican a couple of months ago. He’s now at HHCA and has quickly become a hot name garnering immediate offers from Florida and Dayton after attending team camps. His host family are huge Vol fans and he attends HHCA where Tennessee team chaplain Chris Walker is an assistant coach.

Akeem Odusipe- currently unranked but has offers from Auburn, Kansas State and Tennessee...has been playing up a class for B Maze Elite which should really benefit him come next season.

If we land jaden, and the crowd doesn’t chant “jaden!jaden!jaden!” In time of the “Jerry” chant, I will be disappointed big time.

Assuming we sign a full class this year, 4...Turner, Bone, Bowden and Williams. Have to factor Pember in there though as it seems he’s likely to be 2020, so 3 on paper but obviously always attrition.

Even if Pember didn’t re class, with a solid 18-19 yr, they shouldd still be solid after the 20 class. Nothing you don’t know, but CRB was always recruiting for 18, 19 and 20. The first crop of studs are just a couple of years ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Even if Pember didn’t re class, with a solid 18-19 yr, they shouldd still be solid after the 20 class. Nothing you don’t know, but CRB was always recruiting for 18, 19 and 20. The first crop of studs are just a couple of years ahead of schedule.

He said it all along, some just didn’t want to listen...they were building a foundation with 4-5 year type player and once they did that and the wins came which would coincide with relationships being built they would start to get those higher rated guys. No I don’t think it’s gonna be all top 100 guys from here on out, see Gaines & Pember, but I do think you’ll see an uptick in the rankings of the guys they’re bringing in.

VN Store

Back