Baseball team has given up

This team committed 7 errors yesterday, including one where the third baseman tagged the base and not the runner when it was not a force out. Today, a player was picked off second base because he was not paying attention to the game, his second time for that. Also, when a Ga. player stole second, the 2B and SS did not not get him because they were not sure who was to cover the base. These are fundamental baseball plays, and these mistakes are directly on the coaching staff. Unfortunately, two starting pitchers may be better than we have ever had, but it isn't much help when the team continually makes fundamental mistakes in the field. The hitting is not very consistent, either. I thought Serrano would bring the team back, but when you can't play fundamental baseball, this is a coaching problem. If there is not major improvement in this area during this season, it will be time to make a change at the end of the year.

Very disappointing season so far. The poor defense and pitching decisions are on CDS. He has a very good history in SoCal, but he does not seem a good SEC fit. Andy Lopez had similar problems.

This team did not quit, it just is not that good. West coast ball does not win in the SEC. And with the new balls, it will become even more obsolete. CDS is in over his head. If he can not adjust, then we will be starting over again very soon.

Joan Cronan hired CDS.

I think the Hamilton comment was directed at Delmonico's firing rather than Serrano's hiring. As bad as Hamilton was, Delmonico forced his hand with the APR/scholarship situation. Otherwise, Hamilton likely would have kept him around.

Reactions: 1 person
It is still early in the season and I am looking forward to watching UT play Cincinnati Wednesday on the SEC Network.

..... As bad as Hamilton was, Delmonico forced his hand with the APR/scholarship situation. Otherwise, Hamilton likely would have kept him around.

Is that what it was? How bad was it?

I think the Hamilton comment was directed at Delmonico's firing rather than Serrano's hiring. As bad as Hamilton was, Delmonico forced his hand with the APR/scholarship situation. Otherwise, Hamilton likely would have kept him around.

We are talking about Hamilton. There were no guarantees on anything with him, outside of fundraising.

Is that what it was? How bad was it?

I've slept a lot (or is it not enough?) since then, but if my memory serves, UT baseball was on the brink of losing multiple scholarships due to APR. Unlike football, the loss of one or two couple scholarships is considered a HUGE deal because D1 baseball is only allotted 11.7 total to be divided among the entire roster.

We are talking about Hamilton. There were no guarantees on anything with him, outside of fundraising.

Oh, I love to hate on Hammy as much as the next Vol fan, but I genuinely believe a competent - or even good - AD would have reached the same conclusion.

Delmonico fired himself basically and the school's hand was forced.

The APR, the endless stream of guys who were academically ineligible every season I can recall and the VERY low seasons with sporadic college world series seasons (there was literally no in betweens)

The SEC was no where near as strong when Rod was here than it is now. Vandy sucked, South Carolina stunk most of the time, Kentucky was laughable, Florida was a train wreck, Georgia had longer gaps between CWS than we did. All the power was in the west and 80% of that was with LSU.

The Vols had 3 All-Americans the last two seasons and failed to live up to expectations and apathy was setting in with fan base.

HOWEVER, the worst decision was the hiring of Todd Raleigh who lacked the skill, experience and temperament to be an SEC or major Division 1 coach and this fact was painfully clear from DAY 1!

It was eerily similar to the firing of Fulmer and hiring of Kiffin/Dooley and the dismissal of Pearl and hiring of Cuonzo Martin.

I really do think that Dave Serrano remains out best option. He was not a mid-major coach and he really wanted to be here.

I above anyone believe we should be seeing far more success this season that we are. There is an obvious psychological or emotional problem going on with some of our better players. For all I know it's s seasonal depressive disorder that made me suck at my job this winter too. :(

Right now, I still think we had an epically bad weekend that cannot be explained. Georgia was literally the worst team I've ever seen in and win and especially sweep a series against Tennessee. We handed them double digit runs over the last 2 games and simply failed to hit their #1 guy in the opening game. The earlier losses really did not bother me but this weekend did.

We play a team this weekend that is good, hates us and also makes a few mistakes in the field on occasion. We are also unfortunately playing on a berber field that makes the ball get on a fielder very fast and will likely play once again in cold and wet weather.

I hope the team relaxes this week on bus under some sun or UV lamps in case it is Seasonal depressive disorder and can get out of their heads and just play a game they've been playing non stop since they were in tee ball.

The APR, the endless stream of guys who were academically ineligible every season I can recall and the VERY low seasons with sporadic college world series seasons (there was literally no in betweens)

The SEC was no where near as strong when Rod was here than it is now. Vandy sucked, South Carolina stunk most of the time, Kentucky was laughable, Florida was a train wreck, Georgia had longer gaps between CWS than we did. All the power was in the west and 80% of that was with LSU.

The Vols had 3 All-Americans the last two seasons and failed to live up to expectations and apathy was setting in with fan base.

HOWEVER, the worst decision was the hiring of Todd Raleigh who lacked the skill, experience and temperament to be an SEC or major Division 1 coach and this fact was painfully clear from DAY 1!

It was eerily similar to the firing of Fulmer and hiring of Kiffin/Dooley and the dismissal of Pearl and hiring of Cuonzo Martin.

I really do think that Dave Serrano remains out best option. He was not a mid-major coach and he really wanted to be here.

I above anyone believe we should be seeing far more success this season that we are. There is an obvious psychological or emotional problem going on with some of our better players. For all I know it's s seasonal depressive disorder that made me suck at my job this winter too. :(

Right now, I still think we had an epically bad weekend that cannot be explained. Georgia was literally the worst team I've ever seen in and win and especially sweep a series against Tennessee. We handed them double digit runs over the last 2 games and simply failed to hit their #1 guy in the opening game. The earlier losses really did not bother me but this weekend did.

We play a team this weekend that is good, hates us and also makes a few mistakes in the field on occasion. We are also unfortunately playing on a berber field that makes the ball get on a fielder very fast and will likely play once again in cold and wet weather.

I hope the team relaxes this week on bus under some sun or UV lamps in case it is Seasonal depressive disorder and can get out of their heads and just play a game they've been playing non stop since they were in tee ball.

The problem is SerranoBall doesn't work in the SEC. It is fine in the Big West or whatever conference Irvine and Fullerton are in, but in the SEC, you have to play a different brand of baseball.

The problem is SerranoBall doesn't work in the SEC. It is fine in the Big West or whatever conference Irvine and Fullerton are in, but in the SEC, you have to play a different brand of baseball.

No. the days of gorilla ball with the loaded bats and players with over 20 HRS a season is gone. Everybody is playing small ball with the BBCOR bats.

Tennessee is losing because of bad defense and poor at-bats. We're pitching quite well now but the other two aspects of the game are subpar.

Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida are not winning with station-to-station Bob Cox ball waiting for the home run.

Irvine and Fullerton made it to the world series under Serrano and Fullerton has won more world series titles than any SEC team except one and their conferences had nothing to do with it. They had superior talent and performed better. You can't "fake it" in the tournament. Fullerton and Irvine had to beat good teams outside the conference to make the CWS and Irvine did it on the road.

Irvine made the worlds series because they were ahead of the curve on the BBCOR bats and they pitched VERY well.

Baseball is baseball. The SEC is better now because of talent and coaching. Not style of play. Because of the offensive limitations by the NCAA, we're all playing the same game where pitching, defense and hitting are all equally important. The age of winning a baseball game 20-13 is over and not coming back.

Delmonico started to falter in the late 90s because he saw a need to keep up with the big hitters at LSU, Alabama, Florida and other places.. Sonny Cortez was our biggest hitter and still holds several records.

However, despite hitting more home runs than we ever did, we could not keep up with those other teams that had 7 guys who could hit the long ball like Cortez.

Those teams are not doing that anymore. Everyone's playing "Rodball" now Everyone's stealing bases, bunting, and putting the runners in motion.

The conferences you deride I feel are better than the Big12, the Big 10, and are close to the ACC and Pac 12. They have great coaches and extraordinary talent. Just because they suck in football does not make them suck in baseball. Irvine, Fullerton, Northridge, Long Beach, Cal-Poly, USD would all compete well in the SEC as would teams in "lesser" conferences like Rice and Coastal Carolina. the play baseball with a similar level of talent (especially pitching) as the SEC.

Game planning is not the problem. The problem by the coaching staff "appears" to be with development and managing players. (Pushing the right emotional buttons)

Reactions: 2 people

Florida was a train wreck?

I beg to differ

No. the days of gorilla ball with the loaded bats and players with over 20 HRS a season is gone. Everybody is playing small ball with the BBCOR bats.

Tennessee is losing because of bad defense and poor at-bats. We're pitching quite well now but the other two aspects of the game are subpar.

Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida are not winning with station-to-station Bob Cox ball waiting for the home run.

Irvine and Fullerton made it to the world series under Serrano and Fullerton has won more world series titles than any SEC team except one and their conferences had nothing to do with it. They had superior talent and performed better. You can't "fake it" in the tournament. Fullerton and Irvine had to beat good teams outside the conference to make the CWS and Irvine did it on the road.

Irvine made the worlds series because they were ahead of the curve on the BBCOR bats and they pitched VERY well.

Baseball is baseball. The SEC is better now because of talent and coaching. Not style of play. Because of the offensive limitations by the NCAA, we're all playing the same game where pitching, defense and hitting are all equally important. The age of winning a baseball game 20-13 is over and not coming back.

Delmonico started to falter in the late 90s because he saw a need to keep up with the big hitters at LSU, Alabama, Florida and other places.. Sonny Cortez was our biggest hitter and still holds several records.

However, despite hitting more home runs than we ever did, we could not keep up with those other teams that had 7 guys who could hit the long ball like Cortez.

Those teams are not doing that anymore. Everyone's playing "Rodball" now Everyone's stealing bases, bunting, and putting the runners in motion.

The conferences you deride I feel are better than the Big12, the Big 10, and are close to the ACC and Pac 12. They have great coaches and extraordinary talent. Just because they suck in football does not make them suck in baseball. Irvine, Fullerton, Northridge, Long Beach, Cal-Poly, USD would all compete well in the SEC as would teams in "lesser" conferences like Rice and Coastal Carolina. the play baseball with a similar level of talent (especially pitching) as the SEC.

Game planning is not the problem. The problem by the coaching staff "appears" to be with development and managing players. (Pushing the right emotional buttons)

I'm aware that Gorilla ball is gone (and good riddance). But, what Serrano does is much like What the coach at Oregon does - I believe they have a connection. Serrano is the type of coach thay will bunt a team to death in hopes of a fielding error. That's not small ball.

nothing wrong with moving runners to put them in better position to w
score - that's why we play the game, right?

By the way, with the new ball, you're seeing a large increase in scoring this year. So while gorilla ball is dead, scoring has greatly increased over last year.

VN Store

Back