Barnhart: Vols on right track says Dooley

You aren't very bright if you think my mind is not made up on Dooley.

It seems as if your mind is made up to the point that you would rather see us lose this fall just so you can be right as opposed to hoping that things do actually get better and we start to get back to where we all ultimately want to be. I've said before that if things go badly next fall, there will be plenty of people there with you for the lynching. In the meantime, why do you feel it necessary to wear us out with your incessant bi_ching?The off season is for looking at positives and hope.

Reactions: 1 person
i hope Dooley's optimism is genuine, but him saying anything less after 2 years, would be the equivalent of him saying "i have done a piss poor job of head coaching." he pretty much has to be optimistic or fake it, imo.

Did anyone else feel that story just kind of stopped without being finished? - you would think he would end it with someone about looking forward to this year but he ends it with these two lines, "Tennessee loses its two best players and endures a nightmare schedule in 2011 to finish 5-7. Derek Dooley admits the Vols were 'soft.' Tony Barnhart says the coach knows such results are unacceptable in Knoxville. "

maybe it was just me, but seemed like a strange way to end it - almost thought maybe i didnt see where it had a page 2

BTW one quote I did like in that article was Chaney saying that they had spent all spring teaching the linemen to hit people in the mouth. But not only hitting people in the mouth, but liking it. Means nothing but just thought it was a neat quote.

It concerns me greatly that our OC has to "teach" our OL, which is made up of mostly juniors, to actually like hitting people. Shouldn't that be a pre-requisite for an O lineman even being offered a scholly? I swear, everytime I start feeling a little positive about 2012, a quote like this leads me to think we're in for another dumpster fire of a year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm not sure Barnhart likes UT period. I am pretty sure he isn't very high on Dooley either. This is about as "positive" as I expect from him.

It concerns me greatly that our OC has to "teach" our OL, which is made up of mostly juniors, to actually like hitting people. Shouldn't that be a pre-requisite for an O lineman even being offered a scholly? I swear, everytime I start feeling a little positive about 2012, a quote like this leads me to think we're in for another dumpster fire of a year.

Dooley's guys from last year seem to be the ones with the mean streak- Crowder, Posey, M Jackson, etc.

But to your point... that could be a contributing factor to Hiestand not being around any more. I am not sure that departure was nearly as voluntary as many want to think.

He is more speaking about confidence and aggressiveness. If OL have those traits, they hit people in the mouth. If they are young, confused and passive, they don't hit anyone in the mouth.

At no point did I imply that I was quoting Barnhart. I gave the byline followed by the context of the article. That's it.

The title of the thread speaks for itself. It is misleading. All you needed to do was add the two-word phrase "Dooley says..."

Nothing more than Barnhart reporting what Dooley says and the obvious: this is a crucial season for Dooley and UT.

It's a problem with a lot of OL now. Technique can only do so much. A lot of these OL coming out of HS are strong and can be easily taught technique. However, a lot of times they lack that mean streak. Michael Oher at times had that problem in his development, but he finally turned it on. The offensive linemen should be the dirtiest player on the field, and it's not even close. A lot of kids now don't know how to flip the switch.

Actually, I think Tom Smith's strength and style, with the help of jay g, will lead to some nice, punishing runs this fall on short yardage situations.

I'm not sure Barnhart likes UT period. I am pretty sure he isn't very high on Dooley either. This is about as "positive" as I expect from him.

Are you kidding?

Barnhart will never say a bad thing about vince dooley's boy and never has.

I challenge you to find a negative article written by barnhart about dooley since his hire

Reactions: 2 people

I might have missed it... but I think he misread the quote just a little. It didn't say Chaney was teaching the OL to hit people in the mouth, think he meant the whole team.

We spent a lot of time this spring teaching guys how to hit people in the mouth. But it's not enough just to hit people in the mouth. We want them to like it. - Chaney

The title of the thread speaks for itself. It is misleading. All you needed to do was add the two-word phrase "Dooley says..."

Nothing more than Barnhart reporting what Dooley says and the obvious: this is a crucial season for Dooley and UT.

Whenever I quote anyone, I use quotation marks, as any competent person would. Since I did not use quotation marks, I was obviously not quoting Barnhart. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Whenever I quote anyone, I use quotation marks, as any competent person would. Since I did not use quotation marks, I was obviously not quoting Barnhart. It's a simple as that.

Stop trying to defend it. You may not have meant it to but it does look like you meant Barnhart said it. It's no big deal, move on.

Whenever I quote anyone, I use quotation marks, as any competent person would. Since I did not use quotation marks, I was obviously not quoting Barnhart. It's as simple as that.

Any competent person would realize that quoting is not the only way to recount someone else's position.

Yet you comment on all of them. Like I stated before, welcome to the offseason. It's apparently your first to ever experience.

Thankfully you are there to track all of them and shed a tear at each.

Certainly not my first but it is only my 3rd with a complete loser at the helm.

Yes. The very foundation of what you believe on this is completely inconsistent.

You have drawn an opinion that ignores major factors while overemphasizing others. You made a decision then have filtered the evidence based on whether it agreed with your conclusion or not.

There are few things more INCONSISTENT than that.

Conclusions drawn on facts. Nothing inconsistent about his record. Go dig up more excuses.

I can't understand why anyone even replies to the negavols? I just ignore them! If everyone would do that then they would go away! Lol....

As for Dooley, he has been judged for things that he had no control over. So let's let him finish this year before we judge. I think he is the right guy but will see at the end of the year. I do think we have a team that should win at least 9-10 games + bowl. We have the pieces in place. Now it all falls on the coaching!!!! To hear him talk this way makes me feel a lot better. GBO! VFL!!!

Conclusions drawn on facts. Nothing inconsistent about his record. Go dig up more excuses.

What if we start winning and Dooley shows that he can coach at a major program? Will you change your tune or stay on this crusade?

Thankfully you are there to track all of them and shed a tear at each.

Certainly not my first but it is only my 3rd with a complete loser at the helm.

U know what wins sec games? An sec roster... Something DD wasn't blessed with upon his arrival, but he IS building. like i said the other day, Earnhardt wouldn't have ever won Daytona if he drove a stock Honda civic.. A coach needs the horsepower to have a chance to compete... If u don't know football, u should just stop posting and go read some books on the subject.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back