Barnes excited to add Pons, Walker

Where do you guys see Walker fitting in on the low post? Having him gives Rick a lot more options at the 4 and 5 with Grant, Alexander, Fulk and Admiral.

By mid season will be getting more minutes in the post than Alexander. He is more of a traditional power forward while admiral and Fulk are more stretch 4s. He gives us some different looks than we had this year and adds some much needed depth and size to our front court.

I realize alot of people aren't super excited about Barnes as a recruiter. I think this years recruiting class will be one of the best I can remember at actually filling the needs of this team. I get it there are no 5 stars, but I like what I've seen from Pons as much as any recent UT recruit that I can remember. Walker will be a solid player and Zack Kent has the potential to be the best guy in the 2017 class for us. I get it, it isn't sexy, but this is a solid class. If we add a solid graduate transfer or juco point guard, we should win 20 games next year.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm on Barnes' ass more than anyone, but I'm glad to see him addressing the lack of size on this team. It's currently pitiful. At this point... ANYONE 6'8" or taller is a welcomed sight!

Finally a guy that actually looks about 6-8, maybe 6-10 with fro.
Number 23 in black in game below, enters at about 19 minutes if you haven't seen him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNdin7qEus

If they can do the body transformation with him that they did with Williams I'll be excited to see him and Williams at 4 and 5 this season.

Well, he's big. That's all I noticed

I was only making an off-hand, quite neutral, comment about his demeanor, not a critique of his coaching acumen. A quiet demeanor is not necessarily a negative trait. It is generally preferable to a fiery temperament or a reactive mien in most situations. Whether his coaching skills have atrophied since his halcyon days at TX is debatable and discussion-worthy (in another thread perhaps), but his demeanor has at least remained consistent over the decades. There's a difference between an observation and a rebarbative comment.

Besides that, if he won three championships, he'd probably no longer be coach at UT.

I liked Bobby Knight's demeanor, fiery.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Walker plays at the 4 and 5 positions and I would be tempted to give Alexander a redshirt season so he can get in the weight room and add strength. I think Walker will get at least 15 to 20 minutes of playing time next season.

I think Walker plays at the 4 and 5 positions and I would be tempted to give Alexander a redshirt season so he can get in the weight room and add strength. I think Walker will get at least 15 to 20 minutes of playing time next season.

Idk... Would be risky to sit KA if Grant, Fulk, Admiral or Walker got hurt for an extended period of time. Need the extra bodies in case one gets into foul trouble, too.

I think Walker will redshirt as long as Fulk, KA, Admiral and Grant all stay healthy.

However I do see Pons having a role on the team.

I'm excited to see what Jalen Johnson will bring at the 3.

I think Walker will redshirt as long as Fulk, KA, Admiral and Grant all stay healthy.

However I do see Pons having a role on the team.

I'm excited to see what Jalen Johnson will bring at the 3.

Pons is too good to be sitting on the bench. He'll have a spot locked up regardless what position he plays.

It's UT....no shock there, but in his defense, it's not like he isn't doing what needs to be done or has "issues". Guy is playing so that's a positive. He's going to show up in shape and ready to go. On a similar note, Walker reportedly showed up in much better shape than the coaches expected. Seems he took the advice from current players and did something with it. Looks like he's a motivated, self starting kind of kid. Hey, maybe Barnes has a plan after all? I'm seeing the roster filling with hard working, blue collar types that have good attitudes and chemistry. Gotta say I'm starting to get a little excited about the upcoming season.....a little.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back