Back from Afghanistan

I know Bagram well. Went there when nothing was there, living in tents. Still had bullet holes in the tower at Camp Cunningham, old tanks and MIGS scattered everywhere near the ramp. Went back 2 years later and lived in a Cadillac bin which was nice because I had a bed and the base had changed a lot. Last time, stayed in a nice prefabbed bldg and they were expanding the base to the south, primarily for USAF.

We will occupy that base much longer than 8 years.

Thats what I always found weird. I remember working out of a bombed out shelter in Kuwait. The hole where the missile hit was still there and the mig that blown out was still sitting in the field there. Seeing burned out tanks and whatnot was eerie.

Welcome back! Can't believe we are still there though. Seems like a lifetime ago when I first stepped on Afghan soil in 2001.

Thats what I always found weird. I remember working out of a bombed out shelter in Kuwait. The hole where the missile hit was still there and the mig that blown out was still sitting in the field there. Seeing burned out tanks and whatnot was eerie.

Al Jabbar? Me too.

I know Bagram well. Went there when nothing was there, living in tents. Still had bullet holes in the tower at Camp Cunningham, old tanks and MIGS scattered everywhere near the ramp. Went back 2 years later and lived in a Cadillac bin which was nice because I had a bed and the base had changed a lot. Last time, stayed in a nice prefabbed bldg and they were expanding the base to the south, primarily for USAF.

We will occupy that base much longer than 8 years.

BAF is like a 5-star hotel now, brass everywhere. You could throw a rock and hit 10 full bird colonels. All the old camps are gone, The Air Force doesn't run it anymore the Army does. Their is a small Taliban pocket in the city that rears its head every so often to fire rockets at the base or set up IEDs and SVESTs. The recently discovered minerals in one of the mountains and are mining it gives employment to the men and takes away from Taliban recruitment. Mineral mining and education seem to be what will save Afghanistan. The kids there are bad as hell but love to go to school. I never thought giving a pencil to a kid would make him or her so happy but it does.

Reactions: 3 people

Ali Al Salem has bombed out hangers everywhere.

Reactions: 1 person
BAF is like a 5-star hotel now, brass everywhere. You could throw a rock and hit 10 full bird colonels. All the old camps are gone, The Air Force doesn't run it anymore the Army does. Their is a small Taliban pocket in the city that rears its head every so often to fire rockets at the base or set up IEDs and SVESTs. The recently discovered minerals in one of the mountains and are mining it gives employment to the men and takes away from Taliban recruitment. Mineral mining and education seem to be what will save Afghanistan. The kids there are bad as hell but love to go to school. I never thought giving a pencil to a kid would make him or her so happy but it does.

We had attacks every week. One morning at 0530 I was doing a preflight and looked up and saw something with a plume of smoke coming from a mountain 7 miles away. It was a missle and flew over the base and exploded a couple of miles south of the runway. A-10’s took off with armament and came back with none. Killed those m’fkrs.

Reactions: 3 people
If you were near them, make sure on your post deployment questionnaire that were near depleted uranium. For future VA claims.

From my understanding, those weren't taken out with DU rounds.

Unless you were told something different

From my understanding, those weren't taken out with DU rounds.

Unless you were told something different

I found looking thru bases with DU and you’d be surprised of the list. And these were VA documents.

Btw GV, get with a VSO at Tinker and start your claims process. I’m at 40% right now.

Thanks for your service Carlos, very happy all your unit made it home safe. Praise God. (And pass the ammo) Hope that education and mining will keep those kids from being radicalized...so they have a future and don't end up on the path to terrorism. Hope you have a good vacation soon back home and can spend some time with the ones that you love.

MOAB.

I was just a wee Airman when I first walked onto a C-130 with a MOAB test bomb inside.

Saw where we dropped one on the Taliban in afghanistan...so cool. That's the biggest bang we have thats not a nuke...I wonder how a MOAB measures up compared to the shells from a destroyer or whatever ship has the biggest guns? There are probably different kinds of shells too, though?

Saw where we dropped one on the Taliban in afghanistan...so cool. That's the biggest bang we have thats not a nuke...I wonder how a MOAB measures up compared to the shells from a destroyer or whatever ship has the biggest guns? There are probably different kinds of shells too, though?

Not even close. MOAB is highest energy weapon without going nuclear. Biggest naval gun we’ve had recently were the Iowa class BBs and they are all retired now. I believe that was roughly a 2000lb shell from 16” rifles. I don’t know if we even have any 10” guns active anymore.

Not even close. MOAB is highest energy weapon without going nuclear. Biggest naval gun we’ve had recently were the Iowa class BBs and they are all retired now. I believe that was roughly a 2000lb shell from 16” rifles. I don’t know if we even have any 10” guns active anymore.

Pffftttt. Rail Gun....

VN Store

Back