Awaka to the portal

Man, this feels like a gut punch...several. Was not expecting this. Makes you wonder if there are other issues involved with this exodus.
It’s called more money and promises of playing time (and for Tobe possibly getting closer to home. Have to see if that happens.) It’s the way college sports is going to work going forward. Have to learn to deal with it.

This was surprising. I thought next year he would possibly become a big force. CRB and company really have their work cut out for themselves to make us competitive. We shall see.

I mean im not the one saying we are not ready NIL wise this year…how is that positive or even remotely true knowing the history of how we got certain players?
Having the money is one thing. Being proactive is another. Being somewhat under the microscope of the NCAA, as Stoerner alluded to, could have put some restraints on our aggressiveness pursuing other players

Barnes and his staff MUST use this open spot to land a serious talent in the portal if they want to build in this elite 8 year. This will require them tremendously stepping up their game for elite talent. Anything less and they will be back to a team being bounced day one or two of tourney or missing tourney.....

Barnes and his staff MUST use this open spot to land a serious talent in the portal if they want to build in this elite 8 year. This will require them tremendously stepping up their game for elite talent. Anything less and they will be back to a team being bounced day one or two of tourney or missing tourney.....

Overdramatic much

Having the money is one thing. Being proactive is another. Being somewhat under the microscope of the NCAA, as Stoerner alluded to, could have put some restraints on our aggressiveness pursuing other players
Fair but is it also fair to say we are no longer under the microscope since the ncaa has essentially been neutered federally?

Since it's a different world now with the portal and disrespect players cause to their program, honestly he isn't that good, he couldn't guard anyone in the tournament and lacks many many offensive tools and looks completely lost and out of place alot of the time , let him go and play elsewhere and be someone else's problem. Not going to sugarcoat the two way street. I also heard from a reliable source he is drama in the locker room. Good riddance bud and merry Christmas to you

Since it's a different world now with the portal and disrespect players cause to their program, honestly he isn't that good, he couldn't guard anyone in the tournament and lacks many many offensive tools and looks completely lost and out of place alot of the time , let him go and play elsewhere and be someone else's problem. Not going to sugarcoat the two way street. I also heard from a reliable source he is drama in the locker room. Good riddance bud and merry Christmas to you

1712701298929.gif

Basically we had what I to believe are 2x all-SEC caliber big men.

Aidoo got the minutes to actually achieve that award. But Awaka was good enough to get it had he gotten more minutes.

selfishly I’d love to have them both. But I can’t earnestly say retaining them both is what’s best for both of these young men.

Awaka will go somewhere, play big minutes and win some awards assuming he can stay out of foul trouble. I’ll be rooting for him.
His lack of minutes are partly his own doing. Until he learns how to avoid foul trouble, there's not much for him to complain about.

Reactions: mackievol
Hit the weight room Aidoo.
After 3 years, I think he is what he is. If he can get his head right and embrace more physicality in his play, I'll be happy. Don't expect him to add 20lbs in an off season.

Basically we had what I to believe are 2x all-SEC caliber big men.

Aidoo got the minutes to actually achieve that award. But Awaka was good enough to get it had he gotten more minutes.

selfishly I’d love to have them both. But I can’t earnestly say retaining them both is what’s best for both of these young men.

Awaka will go somewhere, play big minutes and win some awards assuming he can stay out of foul trouble. I’ll be rooting for him.
I don't think Awaka could ever play a 40 minute game. Love his relentless effort but he has never figured out how to read the referees. There other player that play relentless like him but they know when to hold and to fold them. His fouling aptitude has never got any better not sure if anyone can coach that out of him. I don't think he will ever be a player that basically plays the whole game or average 32+minutes. A player always getting in foul trouble puts a coach and a team in a box you're relying on him but you can't really. JMO , I hope he does well wherever he ends up, he seems like just a top notch individual.

He should transfer to Purdue

5f421b5e-bc1a-4e59-808d-f1362ec7cff5_text.gif

Someone asked Mashack’s mom if there was a way for us to change Awaka’s mind and keep him. She said no. 😬

Damn. Thanks for letting me know. Did she mention if Awaka did not like his experience at UT or how the staff used him?

I'd be curious to know why?

Fair but is it also fair to say we are no longer under the microscope since the ncaa has essentially been neutered federally?
Maybe true, but there are many details to the matter. Many that we probably know nothing about that may affect timing of decisions on active processes. Letting everything play out before panicking is the only course. For me, anyway

Reactions: GoodTimeVol
Most likely a mutual decision between both parties
I was thinking the same thing. At the end of the day Awaka is still a 6-7center on a roster with two 6-11 centers on it. Unless he was gonna show up for preseason camp with a handle and a perimeter jumper out of nowhere this is not that big of a surprise.

Damn. Thanks for letting me know. Did she mention if Awaka did not like his experience at UT or how the staff used him?

I'd be curious to know why?
Awaka got a money and pt offer that was very good. He decided he had to take it as we did not have a counter. Meika just commented that she hates how the game is going and the terrible choices kids have to make. She is a particularly brilliant woman, and also a sports psychologist, in addition to being a mom. If she’s worried, it’s not because she’s seeking drama.

VN Store

Back