Awaka to the portal

Lol no he is not, any person that thinks we are unwilling to spend NIL in basketball because we didn’t want to pay these players who left have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
For a guy named “GoodTimeVol” you’re kind of a bummer. How about “GrumpyLunaticwhoneedsahigherdoseVol”.

I’m sorry to upset you. I may be the biggest orange colored glasses Barnes fan on the board. I rarely criticize him, and defend him pretty regularly. We were blindsided by the changes in behavior this year. Players absolutely have a one on one meeting after the season to review the past and discuss the future. Some players don’t fit in that future and we let them go. Some players go for greener pastures. That’s real. I apologize if that upsets you. It is what it is.
Yet you say we are not ready NIL wise when we know that’s false..

Every core member of the team has an offer somewhere else of more money and more minutes. We are not handling either aspect well this year. While NIL has changed things, it has never been like this, and we aren’t ready.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Your reading comprehension is bad. That's not at all what he said. Nor was he speaking of previous years which is what your initial anger was about. He's legit. Has been for a long time.
He said we are not ready NIL wise? What am I missing here?
Every core member of the team has an offer somewhere else of more money and more minutes. We are not handling either aspect well this year. While NIL has changed things, it has never been like this, and we aren’t ready.

How can you say for certain?
That’s not what I said. I said this year (for the first time) opposing teams have made offers prior to portal entry, and we were not adequately prepared. We have a well-funded, smart collective that is responsive. We’re just going to have to adjust our tactics to a changing landscape.

Last edited:
For a guy named “GoodTimeVol” you’re kind of a bummer. How about “GrumpyLunaticwhoneedsahigherdoseVol”.
I mean im not the one saying we are not ready NIL wise this year…how is that positive or even remotely true knowing the history of how we got certain players?

He said we are not ready NIL wise? What am I missing here?
He's saying our current players have received offers from other schools that top what they are currently making from our NIL. He didn't say we couldn't match it, he's saying these crazy offers to our guys were not expected. We've been blindsided by the back channels and aggressiveness of other schools trying to poach our guys. I believe previously NIL was a HS recruiting battle/already in the portal battle, now it's a battle with kids already on our roster, not even in the portal. That's just reading between the lines.

That’s not what I said. I said this year (for the first time) opposing teams have made offers prior to portal entry, and we were not adequately prepared. We have a well-funded, smart collective that is responsive. Were just going to have to adjust our tactics to a changing landscape.
Nice clarification lol

That’s not what I said. I said this year (for the first time) opposing teams have made offers prior to portal entry, and we were not adequately prepared. We have a well-funded, smart collective that is responsive. Were just going to have to adjust our tactics to a changing landscape.
My bad SF, got caught up in GoodTimeVol spewing nonsense.

I mean im not the one saying we are not ready NIL wise this year…how is that positive or even remotely true knowing the history of how we got certain players?

His earlier statement made it seem like we had no NIL. He should have also stated we have a strong NIL haha calm down

Reactions: GoodTimeVol
He's saying our current players have received offers from other schools that top what they are currently making from our NIL. He didn't say we couldn't match it, he's saying these crazy offers to our guys were not expected. We've been blindsided by the back channels and aggressiveness of other schools trying to poach our guys. I believe previously NIL was a HS recruiting battle, now it's a battle with kids already on our roster. That's just reading between the lines.
How the hell was I suppose to mind read his initial post for that clarification lol

Reactions: jmva1 and Ttucke11
One minute our NIL is on top then two minutes later, we’re behind.

Are we not committed to NIL in basketball like we are in football?

I mean, Nico signed an 8 million deal.

Doesn’t add up.

How the hell was I suppose to mind read his initial post for that clarification lol
His earlier statement made it seem like we had no NIL. He should have also stated we have a strong NIL haha calm down
I’ve been posting about the topic all day. If you read those posts, it’s not hard to follow. You can also read Mashack’s mom’s thread on Twitter. Same topic, but with a thoughtful/personal perspective. Things changed this year, and it caught us off guard. Read all my posts if you want the full background.

I’ve been posting about the topic all day. If you read those posts, it’s not hard to follow. You can also read Mashack’s mom’s thread on Twitter. Same topic, but with a thoughtful/personal perspective. Things changed this year, and it caught us off guard. Read all my posts if you want the full background.
Thanks for clearing it up ppl hang on to your words and they would take that quote and turn it into a negative without knowing the context..

Nobody is doing that. Most people will be like WTF we don’t have money to spend based on that one post.

Hate to see him go! Good luck Tobe!

Now that we have at least five slots open, I think Barnes will be a beast in the portal. Please bring in another 7 footer with some muscle.

Reactions: Offset Eye
Man, this feels like a gut punch...several. Was not expecting this. Makes you wonder if there are other issues involved with this exodus.

VN Store

Back