Available Coaches

The problem with all that?

Their only return on that investment would (hopefully) be an improved, successful UT football program. Its not an investment...its a donation.

If they're willing to do that in an crap economy, more power to them. I can't see it happening.

Another question would be...do the boosters "really" have to foot the bill? Do the boosters continually pay Saban at Alabama or does the school? I, unfortunately, don't know all the economics associated with paying coaches but I'd be interested to know how 'Bama did it.

They only need to look at Alabama to see what investment does. You absolutely have to make a HUGE splash and to make such a splash you have to dangle that money to get the right guy.

Tell Gruden you'll give him 6 million with incentives and we're off to the races. This team turns around instantaneously and is infused with excitement. People start buying everything under the sun with UT on it and the 6 million seems like a bargain.

That or go after Chip Kelly. Make Gruden jealous and realize what he might be missing. You put the money out there and then give incentives on top of that and you'll get a top tier coach. Does anybody think giving Saban 5 million a year hasn't reaped them that money back ten fold?

Giving Saban big money got Alabubba Saban. Saban turning them into the big dogs on the block brought in the $$$. If UT throws out big $$$ and it doesn't work out, then we're screwed for a long time. If you get the right hire yes it's worth it, but if you don't.......

Giving Saban big money got Alabubba Saban. Saban turning them into the big dogs on the block brought in the $$$. If UT throws out big $$$ and it doesn't work out, then we're screwed for a long time. If you get the right hire yes it's worth it, but if you don't.......

The alternative? Hire an up and comer and roll the dice for another 4 years? Very few pan out to be top tier coaches so the odds aren't in your favor if you go this route. Someone like Gruden or Chip Kelly is proven. The potential for failure is greatly reduced. You pick another coach that doesn't inject fire into the program quickly and wins...and you're looking at another 5 to 10 years of a program on the skids. For every Petersen or Chip Kelly there are 10 or 20 Dooley's.

Reactions: 1 person

After Gene Stallings stepped down Alabama hired the following coaches.

Mike Dubose ( 1997 - 2000 - 5 yr. $300K per year but was renegotiated after 98 season )
Dennis Franchione ( 2001 - 2002 - 7 year, $1.2 to $1.4 million a year )
Mike Price ( 2003 but never coached a down - 7 year, $10 million contract )
Mike Shula ( 2003 - 2006 He was hired on a six-year, $5.4 million contract )
Joe Kines ( 2006 )
Nick Saban ( 2007 - present - 8 yrs, guaranteed $32 million plus incentives )

( to be fair - Alabama was on probation from 2002-2006 )( also of note - USC is on probation but still winning games under Kiffin )

But Pre Saban Alabama had a combined record of 51-55 and no Championships.

Under Saban they've gone 50-12, won two national championships, and, according to ESPN, since 2008 has had top 3 recruiting classes every year - and all of that in only 5 years. At least in Alabama's case, hiring a proven coach and being willing to pay him has paid off handsomely for the University of Alabama.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
We need Chris Peterson, Charlie Strong, Jon Gruden, or maybe even the Oklahoma state coach.

Peterson and Strong would be 1 and 1a on my realistic coaching list. There is no way in hell Gruden is leaving a $10 million per year announcing gig to make half that or less to work 20 hours a day coaching and recruiting 18-20 kids because his wife was a cheerleader there 20 years ago and he was a GA. I think Strong would be good because of his Florida background and Peterson is just an excellent coach IMHO.

Last edited:
All coaches are available if you have the right amount of cash to throw at them....Everybody has a price.

Reactions: 2 people
As an OSU fan as well as UT. I would say tressel maybe? At least he can recruit and win I would hate to take another protege or up and comer. We need wins or this AD is going to look like our economy

Doesn't he have a show-cause?

Tell Gruden you'll give him 6 million with incentives and we're off to the races. This team turns around instantaneously and is infused with excitement. People start buying everything under the sun with UT on it and the 6 million seems like a bargain.

I don't see UT every offering that kind of money.

Reactions: 1 person
There are two coaches that are a sure bet, Saban and Spurrier. Spurrier grew up in East Tennessee. Offer him big bucks and he might come. If not, let Dooley rebuild. We don't need another gamble.

Not:
Tressel - could not beat SEC then, will not be able to now
Peterson - don't even offer because he won't leave Boise. We don't need another round of rejections
Petrino - left ARK in terrible shape depth-wise so not a real program builder

Yes:
Kelly - cant win a NC at Oregon. Lure of the SEC will appeal. Predict Auburn will make a big run at him too
Patterson - can't win NC at TCU. Can recruit TX kids well. But he has many off field issues with his top kids so may be a risky pick
Gruden - high risk because we don't know if he can run an SEC level recruiting program. But if he can, would be quite a ride.

Joker Philips would be a good fit here. I don't know if he would take the job though. Money talks.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Chris Peterson Boise St
Dan Mullen Miss St
Jim Tressel former Ohio St
Bobby Petrino former Arkansas

I think this should be the top 4 to receive a phone call today to get a feel of thier interest in coming.

If we can't get Gruden I say go after Chip Kelly and offer him 6 million a year. It absolutely must be a proven coach and not an up and comer. You don't turn this losing ship around with an up and comer. Not enough time.

The college game is all about recruiting and unless you make a hire that makes a HUGE splash then you're just rolling the dice with another unproven Dooley-esque hire.

And let me say that in all of this talk about firing and hiring and Dooley this and Dooley that I think the man deserves respect. You can part ways with someone with class. He's a fine man and as someone who likes to see Tennessee win he's been a class act but it just isn't happening and it does not appear that there is any light at the end of the tunnel. Who is going to want to come and play for Dooley now?

Chip Kelly is a sleazebag.

What is all the hype with gruden, I'll agree he's a great coach, but he hasn't done it in college. You have completely different things to deal w here than the nfl. Boosters, ad, recruiting, restrictions on practice time, etc. im not saying he can't do it just that he hasn't done it. I saw carrol in one of the earlier posts that would be huge, but would we be in trouble in a few years. Smart from bama, that is not smarts d it's Saban's and he has complete control over it. Tressel NO THANKS look at his record against sec. Charlie strong would b good but would he leave Louisville to come here. He has them going pretty good right now and we are a mess (although not as big as a mess as a few years ago). So who could we possibly get that's legitimate and that ut would pay for. Please no patrino either. We definitely dont need that mess.

Chris Peterson Boise St
Dan Mullen Miss St

I think this should be the top 4 to receive a phone call today to get a feel of thier interest in coming.

Petersen isn't leaving Boise. Jim Tressel got hit with a five year show cause. There is no chance in hell Petrino will ever coach at UT.

Chris Peterson Boise St
Dan Mullen Miss St

Mullen is about to get nailed by the NCAA for recruiting issues. He may not be legit.

+1

If Hart were to protect UT with some strong guidelines in the contract that were made public, Petrino would be a great hire to get us back winning NOW.

So you guys would rather have someone who can clean up against the mid-level and cellar teams of the SEC. He has lost to every top SEC team he has coached against minus LSU in 2010. What makes you think if he couldn't recruit a good defense at ARKY, that he could do it here.

And I call it now, In before we are Tennessee, Facilities, and Knox is better that Fayetteville.

VN Store

Back