Attrition happens!

How many do you want? We just used one contributor in "98? JF!
John Finlayson was not the only TE in 98 (who happens to be a close friend of mine). Neil Johnson and Antron Peebles both played and contributed. But you're talking two different offensive styles. In that offense an offensive tackle was used a lot. Plus John was as big as an offensive tackle.

Are you seriously trying to say that two TE's are enough?

Reactions: 1 person
Hendrix was technically "two-deep"...and had :victory: TACKLES. Helm was behind Ellis and Scott was behind the line of scrimmage...almost...every time he finished...a run. :unsure:

He was in some weird platoon with Pickett towards the end of the season before he got injured...before that, Devrin Young was in front of him. Sorry...can't find the tears.

In summary, one unproductive backup and two third stringers at best ...for those keeping score...before the candlelight vigil.

I think losing Hendrix comes back to bite us, not that we could do anything about it. I think Mizzu will push for him, and he has all the talent you could want. Helm is the same way, but what do you do when a kid says the coach uses language he doesn't like? In terms of Scott, no one really knows how good he is. In high school he looked very good, but he's been injured since he came here.

My point being, we really could use the depth these guys give us. Helm and Hendrix have the tools to start in the SEC. I think losing these guys puts more pressure on our staff to replace them sooner than later. TE/RB isn't a huge worry, DE is. Losing Henderson/Hendrix blows depth wise. Those guys have unlimited potential. We really need to land Phillips and possibly Walker now. I also wouldn't mind adding Love at RB and keeping Oliver for TE.

All JMO though. I think we could have used the depth, and I think Hendrix and Helm were on their way to being solid players for us. I was really excited about Hendrix. I personally felt he would compete for a starting DE slot during the times Maggit plays SLB next year.

Hendrix was technically "two-deep"...and had :victory: TACKLES. Helm was behind Ellis and Scott was behind the line of scrimmage...almost...every time he finished...a run. :unsure:

He was in some weird platoon with Pickett towards the end of the season before he got injured...before that, Devrin Young was in front of him. Sorry...can't find the tears.

In summary, one unproductive backup and two third stringers at best ...for those keeping score...before the candlelight vigil.
Not trying to argue with you here but utsports bio had Hendrix playing in 9 games backing up Barnett with seven tackles before they took it down. Can't prove it but that's what was listed. To put that into perspective Williams backed up O'brien and played in all 12 with 19 tackles, Lewis played in all 12 with 8 tackles and Mixon backed up Jordan Williams played in 11 games and had 4 tackles. That was the two deep. Saulsberry played in 5 with 3 tackles and Sawyers played in 3. That's it. That is our depth at DL after Maggitt, Barnett, Vereen and O'brian.

I think losing Hendrix comes back to bite us, not that we could do anything about it. I think Mizzu will push for him, and he has all the talent you could want. Helm is the same way, but what do you do when a kid says the coach uses language he doesn't like? In terms of Scott, no one really knows how good he is. In high school he looked very good, but he's been injured since he came here.

My point being, we really could use the depth these guys give us. Helm and Hendrix have the tools to start in the SEC. I think losing these guys puts more pressure on our staff to replace them sooner than later. TE/RB isn't a huge worry, DE is. Losing Henderson/Hendrix blows depth wise. Those guys have unlimited potential. We really need to land Phillips and possibly Walker now. I also wouldn't mind adding Love at RB and keeping Oliver for TE.

All JMO though. I think we could have used the depth, and I think Hendrix and Helm were on their way to being solid players for us. I was really excited about Hendrix. I personally felt he would compete for a starting DE slot during the times Maggit plays SLB next year.
I agree with you about going after another back. Consider this, if either Hurd or Kamara gets hurt we gotta go with Pickett, Paulk (if he comes back) or Reid (burn the redshirt?) That's it at TB. In the SEC that's scary thin.

Not trying to argue with you here but utsports bio had Hendrix playing in 9 games backing up Barnett with seven tackles before they took it down. Can't prove it but that's what was listed. To put that into perspective Williams backed up O'brien and played in all 12 with 19 tackles, Lewis played in all 12 with 8 tackles and Mixon backed up Jordan Williams played in 11 games and had 4 tackles. That was the two deep. Saulsberry played in 5 with 3 tackles and Sawyers played in 3. That's it. That is our depth at DL after Maggitt, Barnett, Vereen and O'brian.

I think his point, like many others, is that these guys arent game changers. However, Helm and Hendrix have the ability to be as good as they want to be. We most likely just lost some quality depth, but keeping them doesnt do us any good if they don't want to be here. We will replace these guys, but I think Hendrix and Helm were solid prospects. I don't see any positives out of this situation. Maybe no negatives either, but losing quality prospects isn't what I was hoping for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
This is how it works. This staff is pushing for championships! If a player or players cannot deal with the harassment of megaphones, a voice in your ear telling you to push harder. They are soft & will not be championship type players. I promote the harshest environments possible to these young players. I want them to ween themselves out & let the strong survive. The ones still here will be rewarded with success in football & in life. Mommy & Daddy will not save you now, you are in college. You are a student athlete at the University of Tennessee! YOU WILL GIVE YOUR ALL FOR TENNESSEE! If you chose not to, then good luck to you, whomever you are in football & in life, but this is how championship teams are made. so you can be soft, or you could be a #VFL. Chose wisely.

People leave for many reasons. Hopefully the "best staff in America" can coach some player development with the ones who stay and the ones coming in. I've been a fan for a looooooooooooooooong time, but I like many others are tired of seeing us chase our tails.

:good!:Navy Seals Attrition rate = 75 percent of selected folks they think can make it:yikes:

John Finlayson was not the only TE in 98 (who happens to be a close friend of mine). Neil Johnson and Antron Peebles both played and contributed. But you're talking two different offensive styles. In that offense an offensive tackle was used a lot. Plus John was as big as an offensive tackle.

Are you seriously trying to say that two TE's are enough?

Heck no! I should have added a :) , or something to indicate sarcasm! Obviously he wasn't the SOLE te on the roster in '98!

I may be wrong but i think Johnson played in 12 games with no catches in '98, Peebles played in 5 or 6 with no catches in '98! I am not discounting what they may have done blocking! But by your account merely being in a game equates to being a "contributor"!

Was Peterman a contributor this year? I am just curious what your believe a players must do to contribute?

OF COURSE it happens. That DOES NOT mean that the coaches bear no blame, that it doesn't hurt, that the players aren't any good, or any of the other stuff that's been thrown out to deflect blame from the coaches.

It hurts even more when it hits one particular position group AND when you are trying to rebuild.

Because they were so stacked they put him at slot WR when he's a natural RB... The problem isn't losing players in general, the problem is losing players that are in our two deep. Karama leaving didn't hurt Bama because Henry was sitting there waiting to play. Losing Hendrix, Scott, and Helm hurts. When you lose players, you usually hope to lose them because they realize they will never play here aka Pat Martin, etc. Hendrix, Scott, and Helm are huge losses.

No. Hendrix could be considered a tough loss depthwise, but not Scott and Helm. Alex Ellis, a walkon, was more consistent than Helm down the stretch. And we will have good depth at RB going forward with the addition of Kamara and Reid.

I am not discounting what they may have done blocking! But by your account merely being in a game equates to being a "contributor"!
The blocking TE is definitely a contributor, as is the D lineman who draws a double team causing the other D linemen to get TFL. Everybody on the field has a role, therefore everybody on the field is a contributor. That's th way it works.

Went with the national story that credited Hendrix with two tackles...I'll verify and if I was wrong I'll FedEx the other 5 to him before he flees the campus. :gone: Thought the gist of this mini debate was the eroding of depth on NEXT year's team. I'll give you a shout out if Ford,Taylor,Butcher and either/both Phillips and Walker don't match those lost 2 or 7 tackles. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 3 people
Heck no! I should have added a :) , or something to indicate sarcasm! Obviously he wasn't the SOLE te on the roster in '98!

I may be wrong but i think Johnson played in 12 games with no catches in '98, Peebles played in 5 or 6 with no catches in '98! I am not discounting what they may have done blocking! But by your account merely being in a game equates to being a "contributor"!

Was Peterman a contributor this year? I am just curious what your believe a players must do to contribute?
John wasn't exactly a catching machine. Like I stated that offense was way different and the TE role was more of a blocking "position". That's why you saw OT playing in the position at times. All three of those guys were really big for TE's and they were recruited as blockers that could catch on occasion. Blocking was their main focus and they did it well.

Today our TE's have a much bigger role in the passing game. Wolf nor Ellis would have been a good fit in that offense in 98. Not enough girth.

Where have I ever implied that by merely being in a game a player would be considered a contributor? Never happened.

Went with the national story that credited Hendrix with two tackles...I'll verify and if I was wrong I'll FedEx the other 5 to him before he flees the campus. :gone: Thought the gist of this mini debate was the eroding of depth on NEXT year's team. I'll give you a shout out if Ford,Taylor,Butcher and either/both Phillips and Walker don't match those lost 2 or 7 tackles. Fingers crossed!

Don't forgets Helms catches and TDs

No. Hendrix could be considered a tough loss depthwise, but not Scott and Helm. Alex Ellis, a walkon, was more consistent than Helm down the stretch. And we will have good depth at RB going forward with the addition of Kamara and Reid.
We have two TE's that saw any significant playing time. Wolf and Ellis. As I stated before Ellis is a Jr. and will be gone after next year. We have Creamer coming off a redshirt and are recruiting a single 3* TE. Wolf or Ellis go down and you got a redshirt freshman that hasn't played a down and another true Freshman that would have his redshirt pulled.

We are even thinner at TB. We have Hurd and Kamara. If either one of those guys go down, we have a walk on in Pickett, Paulk (if they let him return) and a true freshman in Reid (if he signs). That kind of depth will not get it done in the SEC.

Hendrix played in 7 games and had 2 total tackles, per the official stats on UTSPORTS.COM. (Stats screenshot attached)

Note: I'm not saying Hendrix couldn't have ended up as a fantastic DE at UT - I'm just saying he only had two tackles this season.

Attachments

• Vols Defensive Stats 2014 [Hendrix].jpg
    Vols Defensive Stats 2014 [Hendrix].jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 4
Hendrix just needs to keep his mouth shut, he showed he didn't wont to stay and compete with more talent, he needs to shut his mouth and move on.

The blocking TE is definitely a contributor, as is the D lineman who draws a double team causing the other D linemen to get TFL. Everybody on the field has a role, therefore everybody on the field is a contributor. That's th way it works.

I know how it works! Did you read the whole post? I stated that, "I am not discounting what they may have done blocking"! Of course the blocking TE is a contributor, if he consistently wins the block! In my post i gave them credit for their blocking by not taking that away from them, thus, i know a blocking TE is a contributor, if he does his job! :nono:

Also, just because you have a role DOES NOT mean you fulfill that role and contribute!

So answer the question, did Nathan Peterman contribute in, say, the Georgia game this year....or the Florida game last year? He was on the field? I am not trying to get in a pissing contest, just wondering what peoples idea of "contributing" is!

John wasn't exactly a catching machine. Like I stated that offense was way different and the TE role was more of a blocking "position". That's why you saw OT playing in the position at times. All three of those guys were really big for TE's and they were recruited as blockers that could catch on occasion. Blocking was their main focus and they did it well.

Today our TE's have a much bigger role in the passing game. Wolf nor Ellis would have been a good fit in that offense in 98. Not enough girth.

Where have I ever implied that by merely being in a game a player would be considered a contributor? Never happened.

Just answer the question, was Peterman a contributor?

Yes or No?

Last edited:
Hendrix played in 7 games and had 2 total tackles, per the official stats on UTSPORTS.COM. (Stats screenshot attached)

Note: I'm not saying Hendrix couldn't have ended up as a fantastic DE at UT - I'm just saying he only had two tackles this season.
My bad. When your wrong, your wrong. He really only had 1 solo and the other was an assist.

Looking at that stat sheet, outside of Maggitt, Barnett, Vereen, J. Williams, O. Williams and O'brian no one did much of anything.

Last edited:
Just answer the question, was Peterman a contributor?

Yes or No?

Yes Nathan Peterman was and is a contibutor on this team as long as he remains. Now it can be argued that he doesn't meet the expectations that you, I, or anyone else may have for his performance. However as long as he puts on the orange jersey and participates in practice and/or games he is a contributor.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes Nathan Peterman was and is a contibutor on this team as long as he remains. Now it can be argued that he doesn't meet the expectations that you, I, or anyone else may have for his performance. However as long as he puts on the orange jersey and participates in practice and/or games he is a contributor.

well thanks for answering the question, i really wanted to know what someone else's opinion of "contribution" was! I totally disagree with you, but that's why we're here! it is a fact that he currently does not meet anyone's expectations! If all anyone has to do to contribute is practice and "participate" in games, and not have a positive effect on the outcome of the game, then we are never going to get anywhere. JMO

VN Store

Back