Atlanta Braves III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good trade given the needs of both.. Don't like the value though.

They traded a guy who might be a good relief pitcher in two years for two pieces that help them right now down the stretch, and one of which should help with their dire rotation situation as they wait for Beachy to get back next year. That's good value.

Reactions: 1 person
They traded a guy who might be a good relief pitcher in two years for two pieces that help them right now down the stretch, and one of which should help with their dire rotation situation as they wait for Beachy to get back next year. That's good value.

I think Viz will be a starter heading into 2014. And probably one of the top prospects in baseball....

It takes two years to recover from TJ? Is this thread still in the 90's? Viz pitches next season.

Really, it just depends on Viz. If he is healthy, and can be a starter, the Cubs ripped us off. If he's only a reliever. Good deal.

Maholm has a 1.6 WAR, a 3.74 ERA, and a 4.20 xFIP. He's also an innings eater.

I'd still like a #2 innings eater. James Shields basically.

Hudson
Hanson
Minor
Maholm
Sheets

Not bad.

It takes two years to recover from TJ? Is this thread still in the 90's? Viz pitches next season.

I know. Im saying he will be starting for sure heading into 2014. I didn't want to lose him for Reed Johnson and Maholm.

Maholm has a 1.6 WAR, a 3.74 ERA, and a 4.20 xFIP. He's also an innings eater.

I'd still like a #2 innings eater. James Shields basically.

Hudson
Hanson
Minor
Maholm
Sheets

Not bad.
Maholm is no better than Medlen/ Delgado IMO.

I know. Im saying he will be starting for sure heading into 2014. I didn't want to lose him for Reed Johnson and Maholm.

We're on the same side. I was disagreeing with Viz "maybe" being a decent reliever in two years ha. He was tabbed to be the RH reliever we've been missing all season.

Maholm is no better than Medlen/ Delgado IMO.

But that allows the Braves to put Medlen in the pen, which improves the pen without acquiring a reliever. Delgado is worse than Maholm statistically, so he is an improvement.

Plus you forget Johnson is in the deal too, not just Maholm. Braves got two key pieces in one trade without giving up anything huge.

We're on the same side. I was disagreeing with Viz "maybe" being a decent reliever in two years ha. He was tabbed to be the RH reliever we've been missing all season.

We will be looking for the same Reliever next year at this time, and that would have been him.

I honestly think that Wren really wanted Reed Johnson (has for years) and knew plenty of teams did, so the Maholm/Viz thing pretty much assured the deal.It's pretty much Maholm for Viz which is silly. Johnson would not has cost that much alone, but Wren wanted to make sure he got him.

Maholm is an upgrade over Jair, but who isn't? The Cubs also had no need for him so they had nothing to lose.

But that allows the Braves to put Medlen in the pen, which improves the pen without acquiring a reliever. Delgado is worse than Maholm statistically, so he is an improvement.

Plus you forget Johnson is in the deal too, not just Maholm. Braves got two key pieces in one trade without giving up anything huge.
I liked the idea of Medlen starting and getting a reliever. Reed Johnson is a good piece, but isn't worth any top prospect. Maybe for Chapman and another prospect.

Really, it just depends on Viz. If he is healthy, and can be a starter, the Cubs ripped us off. If he's only a reliever. Good deal.

No. There's no "ripping off" here, regardless of how good Vizcaino turns out to be. Imagine that you've spent three years walking around with a coupon in your wallet for a free meal for four at some incredible five-star steakhouse in Tokyo, and you've held on to it all this time because you're hoping to get to Japan some day. And then imagine somebody comes up and offers you $100 cash for that coupon, right now, that you can spend on groceries or shoes or something your family needs. So you take the money. Whether you've made a good deal or not isn't contingent upon whether the other guy eventually makes it to Tokyo and eats his free $2000 meal.

Wren has converted a hypothetical, long-term asset into something that helps the Braves right now, this year and next year. It's a practical, smart deal. The goal is to win baseball games, not stockpile employees Baseball America used to like.

So Paul Maholm wins us the world series? Fantastic. You can't ride both sides of the fence here. The pieces are useful but how much better do they actually make us? Prado Bourn or Heyward gonna sit any time soon?

So Paul Maholm wins us the world series? Fantastic. You can't ride both sides of the fence here. The pieces are useful but how much better do they actually make us? Prado Bourn or Heyward gonna sit any time soon?

Adding an average starting pitcher could very well be the difference between the Braves making the playoffs and not.

Losing Viz sucks, but it's a trade that helps the Braves right now in areas where they are extremely weak. The Braves bench is pathetic, at best, this year. Diaz and Chunkse have been horrible and unreliable. Reed Johnson helps the bench instantly. Furthermore, if Chipper gets in the way of another hard grounder and goes on the 60-day DL, Prado moves to third and Johnson moves into an everyday role in left. Much better option than Constanza and/or Diaz.

This team needed a 4/5 starter. Maholm can fill this role.

Is this worth it if Viz turns out to be a 12-15 game winner? No. Do we know if this is going to happen... exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back