Are we downgrading??

The only player that left who would have played next season is Baron..
Slaughter would have definitely played next season. IMO, after Haden went down, he was by far our best DB and he's versatile enough to play any DB position. People on here were lamenting over DB's not turning their head to play the ball. Slaughter was absolutely our best at that.

Reactions: VAVol85
Slaughter would have definitely played next season. IMO, after Haden went down, he was by far our best DB and he's versatile enough to play any DB position. People on here were lamenting over DB's not turning their head to play the ball. Slaughter was absolutely our best at that.
Too bad the same coaches that seemingly can’t teach fundamentals are coaching these young DBs.

This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.
Truth. Banks is the problem

Reactions: murfvol1
no. 7 out of the 10 players leaving here were DBs that were recruited over. The only player that left who would have played next season is Baron...and we have Arion Carter and others to take his spot.

we brought in a freshman All American corner in McCoy, a safety with 100 tackles and 4 picks in 2 years...and THE receiver that everyone wanted in Brazell. We kicked azz in the portal, we just only brought 4 so far .
Looks like Small is gone too. Was there a RB we were targeting, picked up or expected to run as well as the three we had and now one? Everything else you said seems good to me!

Baron is the only departure that hurts. Look around CFB though, almost everyone has one of those though. It's the lay of the land.

We asked Santa for DB’s with heads that swivel….
That is definitely a problem.

But there is a more prevalent issue. Our DBs need to be within a couple of yards to the receiver for a head swivel to make any difference. Often we aren't with 5 yards of the receiver.

Baron is the only departure that hurts. Look around CFB though, almost everyone has one of those though. It's the lay of the land.
Baron is a contributor but he's not a difference maker. He was pretty average the second half of the season. There's a reason that people that people transfer to play a 5th year instead of going to the NFL.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Baron is a contributor but he's not a difference maker. He was pretty average the second half of the season. There's a reason that people that people transfer to play a 5th year instead of going to the NFL.
However you need to think about it, but it hurt. We could have used him next year. He's the only one I say that about. Like I said, basically every school has one of those, but I'm not going to pretend like he wasn't good and that we wouldn't have liked him to stick around.

However you need to think about it, but it hurt. We could have used him next year. He's the only one I say that about. Like I said, basically every school has one of those, but I'm not going to pretend like he wasn't good and that we wouldn't have liked him to stick around.
I don't really think about it at all. We will be more than fine without him. I just think the transfer portal is overrated. The teams winning championships are sending 3 or 4 year players to the NFL. They aren't hyping up 5th year transfers with pedestrian stats.

I don't really think about it at all. We will be more than fine without him. I just think the transfer portal is overrated. The teams winning championships are sending 3 or 4 year players to the NFL. They aren't hyping up 5th year transfers with pedestrian stats.
It's half recruiting and half development. We'll be fine on offense. I do worry about the defensive staff outside of Garner though. Another year under Garner would have done Baron as much good as he did us, but it's a different world with these kids. Alot of them chasing that instant buck at the sake of their long term prospects.

I hope that the thought process of the coaching staff was to give more NIL money to
the offensive and defensive line players and not give more to the DB's. We needed to keep
the strengths and rid ourselves of the weak links (DBs) because incoming secondary and
backup reserves would be as good or better than the starters.
Yep, keeping your 5- & 6-year Oline & Pili is better than any Portal out there IMO. The Baron going into Portal year before & the fact that Pearce & Joeseph are enroute to All SEC type of play may have been a No Go on a bump NIL for Baron. Also, the NIL subtracted from him & the mediocre performing DBs can be put to better use. I think UT is handling this Portal/transfer/keeping stars as good as any team while managing their culture.

Reactions: orangemadam
It's half recruiting and half development. We'll be fine on offense. I do worry about the defensive staff outside of Garner though. Another year under Garner would have done Baron as much good as he did us, but it's a different world with these kids. Alot of them chasing that instant buck at the sake of their long term prospects.
Half way through the year I thought he was on pace to be a NFL player. His production fell off after the A&M game. At this point he's a late NFL draft pick and I believe we can replace the production.

I just think a lot of people get over hyped in the portal. Ole Miss is trying something different, but I don't see how their transfers help them compete against UGA and Bama when they weren't able to have success against them at their previous schools.

I like the Transfers we are getting. Getting transfers with multiple years to play that put up great numbers at smaller schools in their first two years.

You left out his ability to evaluate talent.
?

Saying that Martinez being fired is NOT a "fix all" isn't the same as defending him generally. He's a position coach. He teaches technique, runs drills, and helps manage the players. UT has had a talent issue in the secondary. I think some honest conversations led to the exodus we've seen. That said, scheme and playcalling have also made the pass defense worse than it had to be. If you are playing a half way decent QB, bring a blitz, but give a 10 yd cushion... you are just handing the other team 5+ yds without even having to try. Banks did that over and over. That has little to do with talent or the position coach.

This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.
lol. Watch our CBs carefully. They rarely turn their heads around. They were out of position. They were not fundamentally sound. That’s coaching and Martinez is the CB coach. What techniques is he teaching them? Why couldn’t he get any development out of more than one player? Your standards are extremely low if you think WM has succeeded as a DB coach.

Reactions: Volontario
Yea it seems it's a balancing act of how programs feel they need to compete... Ole Miss going big with the elite transfer guys and I'm sure it's costing a big penny.... Vols I feel are evaluating player true value and who to let go and develop young talent.... Using Portal guys for plugging upgrades along with depth but trying not to lose trust in young talent... It all sucks tbh
And apparently not worried about how this meshes in the locker room. T a&m proved that great talent doesn't equate to wins when you loose the locker room.

lol. Watch our CBs carefully. They rarely turn their heads around. They were out of position. They were not fundamentally sound. That’s coaching and Martinez is the CB coach. What techniques is he teaching them? Why couldn’t he get any development out of more than one player? Your standards are extremely low if you think WM has succeeded as a DB coach.
Now and again I start to have hope for you... then you post stuff like this.

WM has succeeded as a position coach elsewhere. So much so that programs took a chance on him as DC. I'm OK with it if they determine he's a problem and replace him. I'm not personally vested in WM at all. But those of you who think that will cure what we've seen... are fooling yourselves. Martinez isn't the one calling plays or playing soft coverage. You can say it is a personnel issue. That's partially true. But Banks is the one making those decisions.

PS- were you one of the ones railing on Hadden? Funny how he went from being really undisciplined in coverage to being regarded as one of the best CBs in CFB... all in spite of his position coach working on his technique, right? Theo Jackson pretty much had a failed career, right? Now he's an NFL starter I believe.

So WM is to blame when Banks repeatedly calls for soft coverage on blitzes but gets no credit when guys get turned around?

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
It does get old there are about 5-6 posters on here who chronically complain about Martinez but don’t give him one bit of credit for the recruiting he has done this off season.
At least no one has physically slapped Martinez up side the head.

hurt most of the year,too be honest he was 2 slow to play cb

VN Store

Back