Are we downgrading??

Dougie_D

I looked at the transfer portal and it seems the players who are mostly leaving to a rival SEC school. The players coming in are from lower caliber schools. Will we get a transfer from a rival SEC school?

Reactions: Drewbydoo
no. 7 out of the 10 players leaving here were DBs that were recruited over. The only player that left who would have played next season is Baron...and we have Arion Carter and others to take his spot.

we brought in a freshman All American corner in McCoy, a safety with 100 tackles and 4 picks in 2 years...and THE receiver that everyone wanted in Brazell. We kicked azz in the portal, we just only brought 4 so far .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222-183936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222-183936_Chrome.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20231222-183858_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222-183858_Chrome.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 56
Really, none of us know until the newcomers perform. The lack of "sizzle" has raised some valid concerns about the staff's roster management but we have to trust them until given a reason not to. If your expectations are in TN getting accolades from recruiting/portal moves, this is not the staff for you. Let's hope they know what they are doing.

I think as the season went on and the DB's did not get any better for the most part. Heupel and staff decided it was time to "suggest" they move on to other schools. Since we still have Martinez my guess is that Heupel thinks he is a good coach and the problem is the lack of talent in the Jimmy's and Joe's.

I looked at the transfer portal and it seems the players who are mostly leaving to a rival SEC school. The players coming in are from lower caliber schools. Will we get a transfer from a rival SEC school?
My best guess is that everything you've seen is in direct response to conversations after the season. I suspect those conversations were frank and critical. They probably laid out what it would take for those guys to continue to play a prominent role.

We may never know which are which... but a lot of guys including starters who go into the portal are encouraged to do so.

Yes indeed if Martinez is coaching them
This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.

no. 7 out of the 10 players leaving here were DBs that were recruited over. The only player that left who would have played next season is Baron...and we have Arion Carter and others to take his spot.

we brought in a freshman All American corner in McCoy, a safety with 100 tackles and 4 picks in 2 years...and THE receiver that everyone wanted in Brazell. We kicked azz in the portal, we just only brought 4 so far .
Correct except for the fact that Carter (linebacker) does not play the same position As Baron SDE/Rush tackle. Unless Carter puts on like 60 pounds and grows 3-4 inches that isn't changing. There will be 'Others' playing that spot lol.

My best guess is that everything you've seen is in direct response to conversations after the season. I suspect those conversations were frank and critical. They probably laid out what it would take for those guys to continue to play a prominent role.

We may never know which are which... but a lot of guys including starters who go into the portal are encouraged to do so.
Good post. As I said in another thread, I ran into a couple of juniors attending a SEC school. I’ve known them since they were small kids playing youth sports.

There are some blunt conversations behind closed doors and apparently, not all are with the head coach as many have a conversation with their position coach or coordinator. That surprised me a bit as I would think the head coach would have a one to one conversation.

This is so old. Martinez has succeeded as a DB coach. If you are going to lay blame... go to the guy who determines the scheme and calls the plays. The vast majority of break downs in the secondary had nothing at all to do with Martinez's ability to teach technique and run practice drills.
It does get old there are about 5-6 posters on here who chronically complain about Martinez but don’t give him one bit of credit for the recruiting he has done this off season.

unfortunately, this is a math problem, not a social studies. kinda like school 'a' (in this case ole miss) has X amount of money to work with. school 'b' (in this case Tennessee) has 1/2 of the X school 'a' has, or is willing to spend. which one will be able to spend more on recruits and the transfer portal?

VN Store

Back