Are today's video games too easy?

Personally I don't play games with big long story's anymore. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but I pretty much just play multi player games so I can chat with ole pals that don't live near me anymore. When I have played games with stories I usually beat them easily. Old Nintendo was waaaaay harder than games today. Today's games are all about visual stimulation as opposed to actual complex thought based puzzles and hand eye coordination. Ftr I hate how you have to reload after every kill on cod. Just a quick jab at that monstrosity of a franchise.

For an example of a truly open-world game that is difficult as hell (and that isn't Dark Souls), try New Vegas with the Josh Sawyer mod.

He was one of the original designers for Fallout and, like many hardcore fans of the series, found the new games to be way too easy. So he completely redesigned the hardcore mode to be extra punishing. Drinking water, eating, and sleeping are legitimate concerns (and not just minor annoyances), stimpaks are extremely rare, ammo has weight (and is also fairly rare), and your overall carry weight is extremely low. There's also a level cap and leveling itself is much slower.

Of course, you eventually level up and become god-like as is the case with all open world games, but it seriously takes about 50 hours for that to happen. The rest of the time you are a meal worm in a world of extremely powerful enemies. It's super immersive.

I'm hoping for something similar for F4 once the mod kit is released.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember to old school Fallouts (with top down view) being tough as nails...

VN Store

Back