Are today's video games too easy?

I think they're getting too long. 2015 was such an exhausting year for 100 hour open world games. I'm so ready for tighter, more story focused and objective based titles. Its a huge reason why I loved Until Dawn and Rise of theTomb Raider in 2015 over Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Metal Gear 5, Batman Arkham Knight,etc.

I think they're getting too long. 2015 was such an exhausting year for 100 hour open world games. I'm so ready for tighter, more story focused and objective based titles. Its a huge reason why I loved Until Dawn and Rise of theTomb Raider in 2015 over Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Metal Gear 5, Batman Arkham Knight,etc.

I agree. I've been good for about 40 or so hours since Final Fantasy 3 on SNES. Anything much longer than that feels spread too thin.

I agree. I've been good for about 40 or so hours since Final Fantasy 3 on SNES. Anything much longer than that feels spread too thin.

I don't know. I would argue some of the better, more semi-recent Final Fantasy games were long and still kept your attention. I sunk over 100 into FF7, FF8, and FF10 and they were good the whole way through.

I don't know. I would argue some of the better, more semi-recent Final Fantasy games were long and still kept your attention. I sunk over 100 into FF7, FF8, and FF10 and they were good the whole way through.

Oh I did the same with FF7, but through multiple playthroughs. I put 500 in Dark Souls and 200 in Castlevania Harmony of Despair in multiple characters. I'm talking about how they intentionally extend the game's length for the sake of saying "100+ hours of gameplay!" When it is mostly filler.

I'm with the crowd that doesn't care that they aren't that difficult anymore, because I don't have all the time in the world to devote to beating the game. I play for a good story more than I do a challenge. I don't like it when it's way too easy, but a game like Dark Souls I lost interest quickly.

Also, one has to remember that older games were harder in some cases as an artificial game enhancer due to the technology; especially earlier games that didn't have a battery backup. A game like Ninja Gaiden could be beaten in 2-3 hours, except it was as hard as balls so you kept playing over and over until you finally figured out (or lucked out) getting past the super difficult parts.

Oh I did the same with FF7, but through multiple playthroughs. I put 500 in Dark Souls and 200 in Castlevania Harmony of Despair in multiple characters. I'm talking about how they intentionally extend the game's length for the sake of saying "100+ hours of gameplay!" When it is mostly filler.

Fallout 4 felt like that to me. A lot of fluff. Most of the game I had no idea what I was pursuing. They even had the concept of building forts and bases, you could literally create colonies. That was cool, until you realized it serves zero purpose to the actual game itself.

Fallout 4 felt like that to me. A lot of fluff. Most of the game I had no idea what I was pursuing. They even had the concept of building forts and bases, you could literally create colonies. That was cool, until you realized it serves zero purpose to the actual game itself.

Lol yes, exactly.

I'm with the crowd that doesn't care that they aren't that difficult anymore, because I don't have all the time in the world to devote to beating the game. I play for a good story more than I do a challenge. I don't like it when it's way too easy, but a game like Dark Souls I lost interest quickly.

Also, one has to remember that older games were harder in some cases as an artificial game enhancer due to the technology; especially earlier games that didn't have a battery backup. A game like Ninja Gaiden could be beaten in 2-3 hours, except it was as hard as balls so you kept playing over and over until you finally figured out (or lucked out) getting past the super difficult parts.

Going back that far, yes, they were intentionally made difficult to extend play time due to hardware limitations. I like a good story game too, and with those I'm also not concerned with high difficulty. But sometimes I'm sick of hearing people talk on and on and I'm sick of watching cutscenes and I want to just play a hard as balls game.

I don't mind huge open world games as long as the pacing is right. Which seems just about impossible, especially for Bethesda.

I'm 50 hours into Fallout 4 and my character is already god-like, and yet I haven't even completed half of the quests. Even with the difficulty cranked all the way up to Survival, nothing poses a challenge to me.

The first 20-25 hours of the game were amazing, as they actually made the right decision by making certain parts of the map very difficult for low-level characters, but ultimately you progress you way to a point where there's no more challenge. Then the immersion completely breaks and you might as well be playing with an invincibility cheat.

A completely re-done perk system with a level cap around 30 would make the game much more interesting during its latter stages. You would have to carefully plan your perks and your character would never become a jack-of-all trades.

I don't mind huge open world games as long as the pacing is right. Which seems just about impossible, especially for Bethesda.

I'm 50 hours into Fallout 4 and my character is already god-like, and yet I haven't even completed half of the quests. Even with the difficulty cranked all the way up to Survival, nothing poses a challenge to me.

The first 20-25 hours of the game were amazing, as they actually made the right decision by making certain parts of the map very difficult for low-level characters, but ultimately you progress you way to a point where there's no more challenge. Then the immersion completely breaks and you might as well be playing with an invincibility cheat.

A completely re-done perk system with a level cap around 30 would make the game much more interesting during its latter stages. You would have to carefully plan your perks and your character would never become a jack-of-all trades.

No level cap is my main complaint with it. Similar with Skyrim. You can be a badass in all things in the two games. Probably why I enjoyed FO3/NV and Oblivion more.

I know people said they're tired of open ended games but I'm feeling the urge to play some Skyrim. Even on regular difficulty it's fun just to collect items and level up. I still die sometimes with my newest character because I buy/sell, enchant, alchemy, smithing, transmute gold so it's moving me up the chart on all of the levels rather than armor and weapon of choice. I'm 100 in enchant but like level 50 in heavy armor and 60 in one handed. Speech 50. Lockpick 50. Alchemy 70. Smithing 70. My character isn't built for some of the beatings I'm putting him through and I'll have to retry after dying the first time. Just sucks how bugged the game is when trying to activate quests.

I don't mind the open world, 70+ hour games, but for me I end having to pick 2 or 3 a year and end up missing several good ones because I simply don't have the time to play them all.

I don't even want to think about my old NES and Sega Genesis games, I think half the time those were hard just for the hell of it.

For current games that are quite difficult, but not artificially so, check out: Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, and Darkest Dungeon.

Imo its online multiplayer that has killed the creativity in games. all they have to do is reskin an old mechanic, give it a decent online server, market online gameplay and print money. The problem with a lot of puzzle games is they have no online interaction and there isn't as much replay-ability. you start remembering the puzzles. Portal has tried but never really taken off. and what took me a ton of time to complete the first time only took a couple hours the second time.

I very much classify my games into two categories, pick up and play and grinders. and if you look at what is selling right now its pick up and play. no incentive for the companies to make something challenging.

dont know if it has been mentioned but Ninja Gaidan is one i would classify as skill over grind.

Imo its online multiplayer that has killed the creativity in games. all they have to do is reskin an old mechanic, give it a decent online server, market online gameplay and print money. The problem with a lot of puzzle games is they have no online interaction and there isn't as much replay-ability. you start remembering the puzzles. Portal has tried but never really taken off. and what took me a ton of time to complete the first time only took a couple hours the second time.

I very much classify my games into two categories, pick up and play and grinders. and if you look at what is selling right now its pick up and play. no incentive for the companies to make something challenging.

dont know if it has been mentioned but Ninja Gaidan is one i would classify as skill over grind.

Ninja Gaidan 2 on 360 was brutal

I don't even want to think about my old NES and Sega Genesis games, I think half the time those were hard just for the hell of it.

For current games that are quite difficult, but not artificially so, check out: Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, and Darkest Dungeon.

I want to try Isaac. I missed out on it that month it was free on PSN

Ninja Gaidan 2 on 360 was brutal

I love the Xbox one so much. I think it's one of the best games ever. It was hard the first time through, but it was easy after that. You just had to figure out how to fight the bosses.

They made a 2nd version, Ninja Gaiden Black, or something like that, and it was harder, plus they had an arena mode that was f-ing impossible. I was 25 years old and throwing my controller. LOL

I didn't like the 360 one so much. I actually got bored with it because it was too easy. Maybe it got harder later. I only played a couple hours.

I love the Xbox one so much. I think it's one of the best games ever. It was hard the first time through, but it was easy after that. You just had to figure out how to fight the bosses.

They made a 2nd version, Ninja Gaiden Black, or something like that, and it was harder, plus they had an arena mode that was f-ing impossible. I was 25 years old and throwing my controller. LOL

I didn't like the 360 one so much. I actually got bored with it because it was too easy. Maybe it got harder later. I only played a couple hours.

I only played 2, and there was a string of like 3-4 bosses with no health regen between. It was miserable.

I only played 2, and there was a string of like 3-4 bosses with no health regen between. It was miserable.

That's how the first one was. I'd beat a boss, or a series of bosses finally after 20 tries, but then second time through the game I barely died at all.

2 may be like that and I just didn't get far enough.

VN Store

Back