Apparently (squatting 600 pounds)

Yeah squatting 600 pounds doesn't mean a lot...

Video tape your attempt..

Well let's just recruit olympic power lifters, then we'll win games.:crazy: Squatting 600 lbs (though impressive) doesn't automatically make you a good lineman! Do you have a lick of football sense? Did you ever even play the game?

Reactions: 1 person
The 600lb thing had nothing to do with oline, it was the team as a whole..and I seriously doubt there were freshman in that number..

You fail..thanks and try again

Breaking news: Fast receivers don't need to catch the ball. They need only be fast.

Basically the same thing OP, get outa here.

All of this frustration and negative talk would basically evaporate if we'd beaten Florida. I'm afraid that loss will carry over to the rest of the season and perhaps into next year.

The 2001 loss in the SECCG to LSU carried over for years......

As far as I am concerned, we did beat Florida, still very irritated that the Refs decided that game.

It's all massive amounts of spin. He may buy enough time to turn things around, but I swear Butch has been more salesman since the day he got here.

What do you expect from a guy that inherited a team in the situation we were in after 2012? Honestly...

Squatting 600 pounds doesn't mean a lot. Remember how we were told how significant that was by Butch.
Two of the strongest Olinemen don't even play. I think Jones would like to have some of Dooley's weaklings back now.

Please, by all means feel free to crawl under 600 pounds, put it on your back, and go parallel.

Reactions: 1 person
It's all massive amounts of spin. He may buy enough time to turn things around, but I swear Butch has been more salesman since the day he got here.
He inherited a train wreck. Its not his fault we have no talent on the o line. We are a better football team with CBJ. The team plays hard and with passion. The defense is playing as well as we could ever expect.

Well let's just recruit olympic power lifters, then we'll win games.:crazy: Squatting 600 lbs (though impressive) doesn't automatically make you a good lineman! Do you have a lick of football sense? Did you ever even play the game?

Nope. I was smart; I played soccer.

And my original post was to point out that saying "squatting 600 pounds doesnt mean much" is misleading. But by all means explain to me how getting jacked in the weight room doesn't translate to improvement on the football field because I obviously don't understand the difference between muscular development and sporting talent..

Last edited:
Nope. I was smart; I played soccer.

And my original post was to point out that saying "squatting 600 pounds doesnt mean much" is misleading. But by all means explain to me how getting jacked in the weight room doesn't translate to improvement on the football field because I obviously don't understand the difference between muscular development and sporting talent..
Speed.speed .speed its the only thing that can not be tought. Improved some? Yes. Players will always get stronger.

Speed.speed .speed its the only thing that can not be tought. Improved some? Yes. Players will always get stronger.

Hamstring curls, dead lifts, stretch out that hammy, instant speed! :eek:lol:

The only speed thing that can be taught would be proper arm movement and body position but that being applied to football is only going to be able to be exploited if you are running in a straight line. You can train up dexterity. I'm sure better/quicker footwork on the line would help. They need more box jumps and tire runs!

Hamstring curls, dead lifts, stretch out that hammy, instant speed! :eek:lol:

The only speed thing that can be taught would be proper arm movement and body position but that being applied to football is only going to be able to be exploited if you are running in a straight line. You can train up dexterity. I'm sure better/quicker footwork on the line would help. They need more box jumps and tire runs!
true. I'm excited in what coach thig said a few weeks back "you will continue to see our lb's and defense as a whole get faster and faster.

So on the OP's original point, who are the two strong O-lineman that aren't playing? I remember Butch saying something about a bunch of players now squatting 600 lbs but I don't remember him naming names.

I always take weight lifting figures I don't witness with a grain of salt. An S&C coach has a lot of motivation to cheat the numbers. I'd rather have them talking about how much they squat though then how much they curl or leg press so it's probably a win.

So on the OP's original point, who are the two strong O-lineman that aren't playing? I remember Butch saying something about a bunch of players now squatting 600 lbs but I don't remember him naming names.

I always take weight lifting figures I don't witness with a grain of salt. An S&C coach has a lot of motivation to cheat the numbers. I'd rather have them talking about how much they squat though then how much they curl or leg press so it's probably a win.
What about how much they leg curl? I think that's important...

Actually I would assume clean and jerk would be an important move the oline would work on.

600lbs is not a great deal for college players to squat.

Tell it to Butch. We were told what a measuring stick that was for improvement. The majority of players squatting 600 are O-linemen.

And yet last years team loaded with NFL quality wasn't squatting as much.

Based on what I've heard Sanders and Kendrick.

Weisman especially nothing but praise for that guy previously. It's damn odd.

His has a shoulder injury supposedly... Only reason he is not playing imo. Crowder definitely snaps the ball very well; may also be better at the OL calls and assignment changes. Someone does know, but I am not that person and they are not really sharing.

What about how much they leg curl? I think that's important...

Actually I would assume clean and jerk would be an important move the oline would work on.

When I wrote curl I was thinking of the bicep curl. I'd think you want them focused on basic barbell strength training (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, maybe olympic lifts) to improve athleticism since they work a large group of muscles at once. I'm sure other exercises can be helpful but I think you'd want the bulk of their weight room time and energy focused on that.

My general point is if CBJ is talking about squats it seems like that's a priority for him. A case can be made that being very strong at a parallel low bar squat is the easiest way to improve athleticism. I suspect someone who can squat 600 pounds can leg curl a bunch of weight as well.

Clean and jerk like the clean and snatch are good exercises but very technical so I wonder if an S&C coach with 85 kids to train has time to teach it.

There's a million opinions on this stuff and mine is just one (and not a particularly qualified one). I'd be interested to know what UT's training program looks like.

Olympic lifting and powerlifting are two different things. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying.

VN Store

Back