Anyone else hoping Sumlin turns us down?

Currie probably accidentally referred to him as Kevin Hart during a phone call and ticked him off already.

Davenport probably tried to bond with him by telling Eddie Murphy jokes.

I expect the Sumlin ship has sailed as well.

Currie probably accidentally referred to him as Kevin Hart during a phone call and ticked him off already.

Davenport probably tried to bond with him by telling Eddie Murphy jokes.

I expect the Sumlin ship has sailed as well.

Why Not Kevin Hart? Always hatin on a black man. I bet you would hire Kevin James. :)

If 8-5 is good enough, Kevin Sumlin is your man. Maybe we just have to learn to accept that it is who we are, our administration isn't giving us any choice in the matter.

Sumlin would do better than 8-5 at Tennessee. Hell, Butch Jones won 9 games back to back. Sumlin is leagues better than Butch.

I think Sumlin could do well here. Being fired could motivate him to do even better this time around.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Sumlin could do well here. Being fired could motivate him to do even better this time around.

that was my thought as well. i don't blame anyone for not getting super excited about sumlin. it's not every day that one of your best options is a guy that got fired a week after your coach did.

still, it'd be a solid hire, all things considered at this point.

I'm for hiring Sumlin but one of the things that worries me is how he handled the Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen QB fiasco a couple years ago. Both were young 5* QB's but ended up transferring within a couple weeks of one another. I think if Sumlin has one of those guys at A&M this season he doesn't get fired. I haven't really heard or kept up with why that happened.

Anyone know about this?

Butchs record is better the last 4 years....just saying

No, it isn't.

Kevin Sumlin:

2014: 8-5
2015: 8-5
2016: 8-5
2017: 7-5
Total: 31-20

Butch Jones:

2014: 7-6
2015: 9-4
2016: 9-4
2017: 4-6
Total: 29-20

*Butch avoided two losses by not coaching the last two games when he was given the option to after being fired after the Missouri game. It also goes without saying that Sumlin has coached in the tougher division and he also beat Butch head to head in 2016.

Reactions: 1 person
This is what we are now... hiring coaches that got fired from other SEC schools... we are freaking ole miss

I'm for hiring Sumlin but one of the things that worries me is how he handled the Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen QB fiasco a couple years ago. Both were young 5* QB's but ended up transferring within a couple weeks of one another. I think if Sumlin has one of those guys at A&M this season he doesn't get fired. I haven't really heard or kept up with why that happened.

Anyone know about this?

Bunch of conflicting reports. Allen list his starting job and then kind of felt disrespected and left. Murray? No idea. I read it may have had something to do with a Manziel culture that was allowed. Where guys can do whatever they want because they were winning. Then again, Sumln has been pretty tight lipped about it. Didnt seem to hurt Sumlins rep to bad, Mond was nearly a 5* and one of the best QBs in the country.

From what I've read the last 24 hours Sumlin has been blunt about not wanting this job.

But The Mad Hatter is VERY interested... and not the kind of guy that's a little squeamish around controversy, if your memory is working.

If you have read it "someplace" pls go find and post link.

Cred matters.

No disrespect to Sumlin. I think he would be good here. However at this point, I want every decent option to keep turning us down because it is just one more knock on Haslam and Currie....

In my dream world, I want this job to be turned down so much where the only two people who would take this job are Lane Kiffin and Tee Martin....

Everyone talks about, myself included, if we hire Lane, we would have to a heavy buyout contract if he left us. I think if we get turned down a few more times, he is going to demand a contract that isn't so friendly, lopsided towards UT.....

I really want to see this program keep getting rejected in the short term if it means that Haslam and Currie are gone for the long term.

Especially knowing that Kiffin has the ego to take a job at a "national laughingstock that is damaged for 3-5 seasons" and try to go win right away....

Keep the faith Vol Fans. There are brighter days ahead, just got to get a few darker ones out of the way first.

why is it assumed by so many people that candidates will just take whatever offer is thrown at them?

And on another note, why do so many people assume a coach is "undesirable" because no one else is after him, yet clamor for Kiffin when no one else seems to be?

These guys look for stability, a chance to win big, and the opportunity to make a boatload of money doing it. The money is available in multiple places. You have to be able to offer more than a big check to get a good coach. Otherwise, you get a mercenary.

Last edited:
Sorry, no. After a few more rejections we will be looking a taking the coach from Furman or something.

No disrespect to Sumlin. I think he would be good here. However at this point, I want every decent option to keep turning us down because it is just one more knock on Haslam and Currie....

In my dream world, I want this job to be turned down so much where the only two people who would take this job are Lane Kiffin and Tee Martin....

Everyone talks about, myself included, if we hire Lane, we would have to a heavy buyout contract if he left us. I think if we get turned down a few more times, he is going to demand a contract that isn't so friendly, lopsided towards UT.....

I really want to see this program keep getting rejected in the short term if it means that Haslam and Currie are gone for the long term.

Especially knowing that Kiffin has the ego to take a job at a "national laughingstock that is damaged for 3-5 seasons" and try to go win right away....

Keep the faith Vol Fans. There are brighter days ahead, just got to get a few darker ones out of the way first.

Whoever accepts first, I'll take from:

Lane Kiffin - Will never get a call.
Les Miles
Kevin Sumlin
Tee Martin
Scott Frost - Never Happeing
Jimbo Fisher - Never Happening

The real question is which one wants us? Most seem to think that is Miles.

After all of the *****ing about every potential hire, many Tennessee fans want to hire an average head coach, and Texas A&M reject who just got Fired.

Bunch of conflicting reports. Allen list his starting job and then kind of felt disrespected and left. Murray? No idea. I read it may have had something to do with a Manziel culture that was allowed. Where guys can do whatever they want because they were winning. Then again, Sumln has been pretty tight lipped about it. Didnt seem to hurt Sumlins rep to bad, Mond was nearly a 5* and one of the best QBs in the country.

We've been chasing off QB's here for the last 5-8 years, nothing new for us.

If 8-5 is good enough, Kevin Sumlin is your man. Maybe we just have to learn to accept that it is who we are, our administration isn't giving us any choice in the matter.

Lol you must enjoy getting bent over. I'm sick of paying for top shelf liquor and being served mad dog 20/20.

VN Store

Back