Any better than Dooley?

Dooley should have beat LSU in his first year but didn't.
Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...

We need to recruit, recruit, recruit speed. For heaven's sake, did you watch the Troy game last year? We have the same players back on that side of the ball. They didn't get SEC caliber good over the summer. We need time and patience. In two to three years, you can fire away at Coach Jones, but I think your criticism is too harsh considering what in inherited.

I guess beating SCjr, a ranked team that Dools couldn't match, and the fact they can still beat Vandy and Kentucky to reach a bowl with no passing attack isn't an improvement. Genius.

I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

Apples to oranges. Totally different game. Jones is the one for the job. Expecting this team to beat (or even remain competitive with) this schedule this year with this team is unreasonable.

This program didn't disintegrate in one year, nor will it be built back to what it was in one season. If you really have a bunch of years following, you would understand this.

I agree...the blind loyalty here toward butch is sickening.....it was just like this as well when Dooley was here.....anyone loyal to butch at this point should go join a cult...guy has proven zero so far...only bright spot Is recruiting...

Ok, so it's exactly the same when I say that nobody has given Jones time to put together HIS team. He hasn't even got a full, true recruiting cycle of his own yet. For him to prove something, you gotta give the man some d*mn time and let him do his job! He is working players into a system that were NOT recruited for that system! We have a lack of talent and speed, which is exactly what drives his system! It's simple to understand this, yet many of you do not!

Saying he beat Jones with this talent is a flat out ignorant statement which is a lie.

Jones beat SCjr which if he quit today is automatically better than Dools.

So yes this is an improvement. They didn't give up a gazzilion yards to Troy. Please, if you're going to post something, make it intelligent.
I think that too much is made of Jones' home victory over So.Car compared to Dooley's away loss last year. This year we win due to a tremendous helmet catch by North, and a late injury to Shaw. Last year, we were 3 points and one late sack by Clowney from winning. If the venues of the 2 games were reversed , it is highly likely that Dooley would have won and Butch would have lost. Remember, we lost by 3, and won by 2.

I realize that there is a big difference between a win and a loss, but without one little play in late each game, the situations could have easily been reversed. Everybody acts like Butch is Lombardi for winning that game at home, and Dooley is Jerry Faust for losing away. There is very little difference in the product on the field. I feel that Jones is a better recruiter, and we will see an improvement in 2 more years, due to better players coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Dooley would've NEVER had a recruiting class this good coming in.

Think I just said that didn't I? If he holds the current commits together he will prove himself to be a better recruiter. Hell, he got 12 of the 21 commits for the 2013 class in about 8 weeks.... I think he's a better recruiter than Dooley already.

However, at this point, after 5 very embarrassing/blowout losses thus far (and I think another one is coming in 2 weeks at the hands of a better, improving, better coached Vandy team) this year, there's no possible way for me to honestly say he is better at preparing his team to play a football game than Dooley. He's not. Period.

i actually don't think that Dooley was as bad as some on here say,if Wilcox and company had of been retained,i do think that CDD would still be coaching and you have to remember,scoring points wasn't his problem

Dooley's problem was his teams found a way to lose.

Reactions: 3 people
Seriously guys, we aren't sheep following Jones. We just understand that its his first year as coach on a very bad team. If in 3 years we aren't getting better then that would be another case.

Most Jones supporters aren't ready to jump ship over one season. Give him a couple years. If it doesn't get better then we can jump ship.

Just calm down. Breathe in. Lol

No Dooley wouldn't have faired just as well. Dooley couldn't recruit as well. Dooley also inherited better talent than Butch Jones. To compare last years team to this years team talent wise is just laughable. Hopefully we have finally hit rock bottom.

Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...

After the title of the thread, firing away would be the least objectionable response. Comparing CBJ to Drooley is just plain ignorant..Period

i think op has a point in comparing dooley to butch but i am afraid to go there. so FLAME FLAME OP go away dont want to think about it.

I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

I might be wrong here but football is a little different and scoring was a lot less. No way to.compare IMO

This defense is every bit as bad as last year's. The offense is worse. The special teams coverage is worse. The kicker has improved. The effort is about the same. The players are mostly the same. The results, not unexpectedly, are essentially the same.

I think that the record will be another 5-7 year. Hopefully, it won't slip to 4-8. Next year will be slightly better I think. This is a 4-5 year rebuild.

Palardy for heisman,i'm not even joking,best improved vol through all of this!!!!!!

Fire away...

Yeah Dooley was so good his team quit on him and he lost to Kentucky. So you think Dooley could of done the same as Butch Jones this year with this team. :eek:lol: Dooley had better talent last year with Bray, Hunter and Patterson and couldn,t win with that talent. If we had Hunter and Patterson this year with Butch Jones coaching, I bet we would of won at least 8 or 9 games.

yeah, no doubt. I hear dooley is on the short list for usc and texas. we just didn't appreciate what we had.[/

I hope cd gets a job he knows football for sure been raised in it all his life and he was a nice guy with class. He was just snake bit when it came to UT wins in big games just never could get over the hump.

Yes, I think we are better under Jones. He is getting higher rated recruits, the alumni seems more united, former players seem to feel more welcome, and he did get a win against a top opponent. Dooley had some pretty good play makers last year and couldn't get to six wins. Jones has seemed to get more with less this year.

Coach Butch Jones --'--' here
▼
▼
▼
▼
▼.
▼
▼
▼
Dooley-------here

/ dumb thread

Reactions: 2 people