Any better than Dooley?

Dooley would not have beaten SC, so we would be 3-7 right now staring directly down the barrel of this program's first ever 8 loss season.

Go check the recruiting forum, you will feel better. Dooley would not have put that class together.

CBJ is looking down the barrel at an 8 loss season.

Just saying.

What an idiotic threat started by a bandwagon loser. We're in a serious rebuilding mode and it's going to take some time. If you don't want to hang around, don't let the door hit you. Jones has the VOLS on the return path and it's going to take time and patience.

Go VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley should have beat LSU in his first year but didn't.
Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...

I agree with you. Dooley, the supposed worst coach in TN history, almost beat usc east, uga, and mizzou. He had a better offense, but that defense was worse than this years. Plus, this was supposed to be the best O-line in the country (lol at that). Besides kickers and rb's, every other position has either stayed at a sub-par level or regressed. I understand this isn't his recruits, but a good coach works with the players he has and shows improvement. This team is not improving

Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...
First of all Dooley had bray, Patterson, hunter and Rivera so get your facts straight and when did Dooley even come close to pulling a recruiting class like cbj has???? This is ridiculous! All u negateers will be eating crow in a year or two. Dooley couldn't carry cbj's jockstrap

I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

And I can tell you that Majors did not face 7 top 15 teams in an 8 game span. The SEC was not this mighty then, and the reason we look this way is by comparison of the insanely strong schedule we play.

I find it funny when the people who ridiculously expected anything better than 5 wins this year go straight to blaming the coaching staff because they can't meet their stupid standards. I predicted 5-7 with a strong chance of 4-8. I didn't expect the team to be in any game vs an SEC opponent not named Kentucky and maybe Vanderbilt. This is an awful team. People shouldn't blame the coaching staff because they were too blind with homerism to realize it.

The fact that we beat South Carolina(which was in large part thanks to great coaching by Jones and co) and even have a shot at a bowl game this late in the year is reason enough for me to have confidence in this coaching staff(on top of the recruiting).

Could end up being worse next year losing Neal, probably the entire o-line, etc. 2015 is when I expect to see major improvements. Expecting them before that is outlandish.

Long time records are being shattered under this coach for futility.

If you guys aren't alarmed at the way this team is flat out quitting then u are just plain delusional.

So the deal is u can't expect that CBJ would find a way to get his team to at least not embarrass the University THREE WEEKS IN A ROW.

I know some of u had commemorative plaques made in honor of the win over Carolina but tell me this. How does a "talentless team" find a way to beat the 11th ranked team in the country? So wait...they DO have talent eh?

The worst 3 game stretch in UT HISTORY being outscored 131-36. One of the worst losses in UT history earlier this yr on top of it under CBJ and u guys are acting like it's unfathomable he won't bring us the first 8 loss season in history?

Vandy beat Fla and UT lost (as every year) to them so we can figure Vandy will hand him his lunch. You guys so sure Ky is a win? Really?

Of course...after one of the worst home losses in UT history who wouldn't be brimming with confidence.

Reactions: 3 people
The sky is not falling. 6-6 was a consensus on here before the season started. That's still very attainable. We have to get the horses to run with the big programs, and so far butch is doing a good job with that. Get the recruits win the games, it is as simple as that.

I think the late Leslie Neilson said it best in "The Naked Gun" series:

"Move along, Move along, Nothing to see here."

Nice to have a good recruiting class as long as they decide to keep their commitments.

It doesn't matter how many great athletes UT gets if they don't have a QB.

Let me give u a newsflash: DOBBS AIN'T IT.

Dobbs SUCKS...period.

Maybe he would help Austin Peay or something but this kid isn't even MAC conference level...no less a kid who can beat SEC teams.

BTW: Even Sunseri wouldn't be as much of an embarrassment as his replacement. 131 pt's in 3 games? Really?

Fire away...

I have not seen the post game pressed yet.... Did CBJ Blair the loss on the players?

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I know we are rebuilding. I love what Butch Jones has done thus far. I wouldn't want anybody else. But I'm just simply asking an honest question here:

Is the fact that our defense is completely and utterly lost out there, and gets consistently and methodically picked apart, due entirely to having absolutely no talent on that side of the ball? I mean, is it all because of a lack of talent? It stands to reason that even if you have minimal talent (a team full of "three star" players) your guys are going to at least be in the correct position to make some big stops every once in a while, even if that means they are not going to have the speed or the talent to take advantage of it. Our guys are simply nowhere to be seen in the area. Is that all a complete lack of talent? Is there nothing at all wrong with the scheme and/or failure to make adjustments? Honest question, please offer intelligent analysis instead of the typical shout-downs for anyone who says something the least bit "negative". I honestly do believe great things are going to happen in the future.

Last edited:

Fire away...

Your crazy! Go have you head checked by a revolver, oh sorry I meant a doctor

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I know we are rebuilding. I love what Butch Jones has done thus far. I wouldn't want anybody else. But I'm just simply asking an honest question here:

Is the fact that our defense is completely and utterly lost out there, and gets consistently and methodically picked apart, due entirely to having absolutely no talent on that side of the ball? I mean, is it all because of a lack of talent? It stands to reason that even if you have minimal talent (a team full of "three star" players) your guys are going to at least be in the correct position to make some big stops every once in a while, even if that means they are not going to have the speed or the talent to take advantage of it. Our guys are simply nowhere to be seen in the area. Is that all a complete lack of talent? Is there nothing at all wrong with the scheme and/or failure to make adjustments? Honest question, please offer intelligent analysis instead of the typical shout-downs for anyone who says something the least bit "negative". I honestly do believe great things are going to happen in the future.

I don't think it is just a lack of talent but there is a significant gap in talent. Below is a breakdown of the two deep rosters from the TN/AU game with Rivals ratings for each player at each position. Interesting enough, TN is a more mature team in terms of # of Srs as compared to AU. It has been a while since TN could say that. Keep in mind, the team has had less than 10 months to understand and execute a new defensive scheme. I was hoping to see more improvement in discipline on defense but we tend to over pursue and are not a solid tackling team. I believe these two items are due to lack of speed and not enough repetitions with coaches providing corrective measures. My 2 cents anyways.

Attachments

• RosterAnalysis.pdf
    158.6 KB · Views: 12
I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

I'm very long, thank you!

Fire away...

We faced and lost to 3 straight top 10 teams, beginning with #1, not to mention losing to a 4th earlier this season. I think we have played the toughest schedule of anyone in the country, 5 teams in the top 12 (and Georgia would be in the top 25 without the injuries).
That is pretty difficult for a bunch of young players to go through. You have to give them time to get this mess cleaned up.

Fire away...

If you honestly believe that you're beyond help

Saying he beat Jones with this talent is a flat out ignorant statement which is a lie.

Jones beat SCjr which if he quit today is automatically better than Dools.

So yes this is an improvement. They didn't give up a gazzilion yards to Troy. Please, if you're going to post something, make it intelligent.

VN Store

Back